Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tumble driers

Vented or Condensing? Condensing would be more convenient (vented would mean
dropping the vent out of a window as we're in a flat), but I've had horrible
experiences with condensors - my mum's Bosch has some kind of filter that
needs to stripped and cleaned every month or so and it takes over an hour to
dry a single shirt, whilst making the room it's in clammy. Are there any
problems that can arise from having a tumble drier go up to get out of a
window (condensation trickling back down perhaps?).

Less electricity used is nice, but I also want to be able to put the washer
on overnight, get up in the morning and chuck clothes (ie, a shirt or a pair
of trousers) into it for an hour and have them dry to go to work in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Doki wrote:
Vented or Condensing? Condensing would be more convenient (vented would
mean dropping the vent out of a window as we're in a flat), but I've had
horrible experiences with condensors - my mum's Bosch has some kind of
filter that needs to stripped and cleaned every month or so and it takes
over an hour to dry a single shirt, whilst making the room it's in
clammy. Are there any problems that can arise from having a tumble drier
go up to get out of a window (condensation trickling back down perhaps?).

Less electricity used is nice, but I also want to be able to put the
washer on overnight, get up in the morning and chuck clothes (ie, a
shirt or a pair of trousers) into it for an hour and have them dry to go
to work in.

Using a tumble dryer through a window has the obvious problem of having
to leave the window open. (Unless, of course, you have a lucky hole in
the glass already waiting. Or make one.) So you get warm air going
out/cold air coming in. Not a good idea in a cold winter - regardless of
other issues.

I can't be the only one who feels that running a tumble dryer for an
hour for one shirt is a bit on the wasteful side. How about buying an
extra shirt and making yourself not so dependent upon drying one shirt?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

I can't be the only one who feels that running a tumble dryer for an
hour for one shirt is a bit on the wasteful side. How about buying an
extra shirt and making yourself not so dependent upon drying one shirt?

LOL

What about 14 shirts then do a full load every 14 days.
That would leave 4 in reserve in case of emergencies or ironing/time
restrictions.(assuming w/ends are not shirt days)
:¬)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Rod wrote:

I can't be the only one who feels that running a tumble dryer for an
hour for one shirt is a bit on the wasteful side. How about buying an
extra shirt and making yourself not so dependent upon drying one shirt?

LOL

What about 14 shirts then do a full load every 14 days.
That would leave 4 in reserve in case of emergencies or ironing/time
restrictions.(assuming w/ends are not shirt days)
:¬)

Well - I didn't want to make too radical a suggestion. :-)

And tumble dryers don't work very well when underloaded - the warm/hot
air tends to go straight past the load. Get the load just right and they
work much better.

PS: What's an iron? (Actually have had to do the ironing since partner
fell ill - not a huge amount, but what a tedious bore. Can't even start
without switching on Radio 4.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Doki wrote:
[...]

I was in B&Q and spotted a display for what looks like a white box to fit
on the end of the pipe coming from a dryer. The steam goes in to it and
turns back to water. Make your own! A bucket and a few ice packs
from the freezer and a cover on the top.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Rod wrote:

[...]

Some decent shirts at George in Asda. Wash weekly - if not more
infrequently. (clothes - not body)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Having owned both types, to directly answer your question (though I
totally agree with the views expressed earlier as to load size, buying
a few shirts etc!!), I would favour the condensing sort for your
situation. Yes, there is some ongoing maintentance to do, but it
doesn't take very much time - empty the water container every few
times you use it, clean the fluff filter (also necessary for non-
condensing types), clean other filter - but that doesn't take long
either, and only happens maybe 1 a month (depending on how often you
use it of course). I used to have the other sort, and disposing of the
moist air was a pain - we had to fit an extractor fan.
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doki" wrote in message
Vented or Condensing? Condensing would be more convenient (vented would
mean dropping the vent out of a window as we're in a flat), but I've had
horrible experiences with condensors - my mum's Bosch has some kind of
filter that needs to stripped and cleaned every month or so and it takes
over an hour to dry a single shirt, whilst making the room it's in clammy.
Are there any problems that can arise from having a tumble drier go up to
get out of a window (condensation trickling back down perhaps?).

Less electricity used is nice, but I also want to be able to put the
washer on overnight, get up in the morning and chuck clothes (ie, a shirt
or a pair of trousers) into it for an hour and have them dry to go to work
in.

What's the pay-back time on a tumble dryer?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Doki wrote:
[...]

Jesus christ. It's always the bloody same on usenet. Ask one question, get
an answer to another.

1) I plan on making a wooden baffle for the outlet to minimise drafts. I'd
rather have drafts than damp, either way.

2) It's not something I plan on doing every day, but it is rather useful to
be able to dry something in sub geological timescales.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

Some decent shirts at George in Asda. Wash weekly - if not more
infrequently. (clothes - not body)

The only really decent shirt I own came from New & Lingwood. The Asda ones
I've seen are ****e, and Next ones are good for the price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Doki" wrote in message
Vented or Condensing? Condensing would be more convenient (vented would
mean dropping the vent out of a window as we're in a flat), but I've had
horrible experiences with condensors - my mum's Bosch has some kind of
filter that needs to stripped and cleaned every month or so and it takes
over an hour to dry a single shirt, whilst making the room it's in
clammy. Are there any problems that can arise from having a tumble drier
go up to get out of a window (condensation trickling back down perhaps?).

Less electricity used is nice, but I also want to be able to put the
washer on overnight, get up in the morning and chuck clothes (ie, a shirt
or a pair of trousers) into it for an hour and have them dry to go to
work in.

What's the pay-back time on a tumble dryer?

About 3 months or less.
the care workers will not peg out the washing but they will put the washing
in the tumble drier.. so it saves two visits a week at around £10 each to
get a cleaner in to do it. (It costs around £10 ph to get someone in to
clean dads house and peg out the washing..)
Its a no brainer.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote on 07/09/2008 :
PS: What's an iron? (Actually have had to do the ironing since partner fell
ill - not a huge amount, but what a tedious bore. Can't even start without
switching on Radio 4.)

Womens Hour, perhaps?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mikeyboy wrote on 07/09/2008 :
Having owned both types, to directly answer your question (though I
totally agree with the views expressed earlier as to load size, buying
a few shirts etc!!), I would favour the condensing sort for your
situation. Yes, there is some ongoing maintentance to do, but it
doesn't take very much time - empty the water container every few
times you use it,

Our condensers (two so far) have always dumped the condensate straight
in the drain. I recommend the condensing type, we have had no moisture
issues in the room it runs in at all (utility room). Their predecessor,
the none condensing type drier only, caused lots of moisture issues.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Rod wrote on 07/09/2008 :
PS: What's an iron? (Actually have had to do the ironing since partner
fell ill - not a huge amount, but what a tedious bore. Can't even
start without switching on Radio 4.)

Womens Hour, perhaps?

Nothing like the dulcets of Ms Murray. :-)

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 10:06:11 +0100, Doki wrote:

Vented or Condensing? Condensing would be more convenient (vented would

snip

We've had both and I'd definitely go for condensing again. Our current
condensing unit has quite a big reservoir for the condensate but it is
quite easy to empty. The filter is no problem either.

I've never liked the idea of using expensive electricity to warm up the
air and then vent it outside!

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info http://mixpix.batcave.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mick wrote:
On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 10:06:11 +0100, Doki wrote:

We've had both and I'd definitely go for condensing again. Our current
condensing unit has quite a big reservoir for the condensate but it is
quite easy to empty. The filter is no problem either.

I've never liked the idea of using expensive electricity to warm up the
air and then vent it outside!

You do need to check. Some "condensors" don't condense much at all -
most of the moisture ends up in the room.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 7, 11:18*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
mick wrote:
On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 10:06:11 +0100, Doki wrote:

We've had both and I'd definitely go for condensing again. Our current
condensing unit has quite a big reservoir for the condensate but it is
quite easy to empty. The filter is no problem either.

I've never liked the idea of using expensive electricity to warm up the
air and then vent it outside!

You do need to check. Some "condensors" don't condense much at all -
most of the moisture ends up in the room.

Andy

I'm surprised no-one mentioned this yet.... much better IME
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....=Clothes_Dryer

NT