Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Access holes in chipboard floors

Hi all.

Today I had to pull 8 runs of CAT5 under my lounge floor. The flooring
is T&G chipboard that has had all the joints glued, therefore not
possible to lift. I have in the past used large access holes made with
a router and some inserts from Trend, but they are expensive, and more
to the point I don't have any!

So, after a bit of thought, 20, maybe 30mSec. I used a small hole
cutter, one of those with spring steel concentric blades that lock onto
a round, grooved, back plate. This produce about a 2" dia hole with a
1.9" round disc of chipboard left over. Great I could now fish my pull
cord from one end of the room to the other and through all the brick
support walls and other obstructions. I had tried rodding it earlier
but there were too many obstructions in the way. Cables attached to
pull cord and away I went, yes I did pull a spare length of cord through
for future use.

OK, how to fill the holes? In the past I would have screwed a short
batten across, under the floor, and screwed the cut out disc back onto
it. As I am exceedingly unlikely to want these holes again I came up
with another idea.

This is what I am proud of and am thinking of patenting it!! (Not
really)

There is a rather good glue, part of the Gorilla range that is basically
a very low expansion foam, moisten one surface, apply a small amount of
glue to the other surface and clamp. So, using the centre hole of my
disc I screwed a small plate to the top of the disc, so that it didn't
fall through the hole. Then applied glue all around the edge, moistened
the hole and dropped the disc in, due to the plate it is flush to the
floor. An hour later the glue had expanded, was shaved off with a sharp
blade after removing the temporary plate, and all was done. It appears
to be very strong and above all flush with the floor.

OK, someone else has probably already done this and I am the last to
know, but I felt quite chuffed about it, certainly a cheap method
anyway! :-)
So, over to you, what have I done wrong and why is it doomed to failure
and destroy the planet?

--
Bill

*Expletive* chipboard floors. [email protected] UK diy 21 November 7th 13 01:21 PM
I'm not so sure about chipboard bathroom floors! AL_n UK diy 15 October 2nd 10 11:52 AM
Squeaky chipboard floors Piers Finlayson UK diy 6 January 13th 10 11:48 PM
Chipboard floors Slider UK diy 11 December 1st 08 06:42 PM
Saw for chipboard floors etc.? oh UK diy 28 April 7th 08 10:15 PM