Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chipboard floors

Hi

Need to sort out some creaking chipboard floors before having new carpets
laid. I think the creak is from the joint (tongue and groove) between two
boards. I am thinking about cutting the joint and just filling it with PVA
wood glue. Or, I may cut a patch out and refit adding some noggins for
support.

To do the cutting (either just the tongue/groove joint or take a section
out) I am thinking of buying a Bosch PMF-180 multi-tool. Don't want to cut
a hole and use a jigsaw and I am unsure of elec cables / CH pipes etc.

Any thoughts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Slider wrote:
Hi

Need to sort out some creaking chipboard floors before having new carpets
laid. I think the creak is from the joint (tongue and groove) between two
boards. I am thinking about cutting the joint and just filling it with PVA
wood glue. Or, I may cut a patch out and refit adding some noggins for
support.

To do the cutting (either just the tongue/groove joint or take a section
out) I am thinking of buying a Bosch PMF-180 multi-tool. Don't want to cut
a hole and use a jigsaw and I am unsure of elec cables / CH pipes etc.

Any thoughts?

I usually fix creaking by putting a few more fixing screws in. Should
have done so before our lounge diner carpet was laid. Keeps sounding
like I am f**ting as I walk through the double doors between the two rooms.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Slider wrote:
To do the cutting (either just the tongue/groove joint or take a section
out) I am thinking of buying a Bosch PMF-180 multi-tool. Don't want to
cut a hole and use a jigsaw and I am unsure of elec cables / CH pipes
etc.

Any thoughts?

Although a multi-tool will do the job the blades tend to be expensive.
It's cheaper to snap off a jigsaw blade so the maximum cut is only to the
thickness of the board to avoid damage to things underneath.

--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Invisible Man" wrote in message
Slider wrote:
Hi

Need to sort out some creaking chipboard floors before having new carpets
laid. I think the creak is from the joint (tongue and groove) between two
boards. I am thinking about cutting the joint and just filling it with
PVA wood glue. Or, I may cut a patch out and refit adding some noggins
for support.

To do the cutting (either just the tongue/groove joint or take a section
out) I am thinking of buying a Bosch PMF-180 multi-tool. Don't want to
cut a hole and use a jigsaw and I am unsure of elec cables / CH pipes
etc.

Any thoughts?

I usually fix creaking by putting a few more fixing screws in. Should have
done so before our lounge diner carpet was laid. Keeps sounding like I am
f**ting as I walk through the double doors between the two rooms.

I already have put about a hundred chipboard screws in the floor, it's the
actual T&G joint that's causing the creak. Thinking if I break the joint
then glue it back up, should cure it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Slider wrote:
To do the cutting (either just the tongue/groove joint or take a section
out) I am thinking of buying a Bosch PMF-180 multi-tool. Don't want to
cut a hole and use a jigsaw and I am unsure of elec cables / CH pipes
etc.

Any thoughts?

Although a multi-tool will do the job the blades tend to be expensive.
It's cheaper to snap off a jigsaw blade so the maximum cut is only to the
thickness of the board to avoid damage to things underneath.

--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Did think about that, although it's an excuse to buy a PMF-180!! ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Slider wrote:
Although a multi-tool will do the job the blades tend to be expensive.
It's cheaper to snap off a jigsaw blade so the maximum cut is only to
the thickness of the board to avoid damage to things underneath.

Did think about that, although it's an excuse to buy a PMF-180!! ;-)

Find a bigger excuse and get the Fein.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Slider wrote:
Although a multi-tool will do the job the blades tend to be expensive.
It's cheaper to snap off a jigsaw blade so the maximum cut is only to
the thickness of the board to avoid damage to things underneath.

Did think about that, although it's an excuse to buy a PMF-180!! ;-)

Find a bigger excuse and get the Fein.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Too expensive. Could not justify the cost over the PMF-180.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Slider wrote:
[...]

My solution to this has been to get some heavy-duty polythene bin bags,
and cut them into long strips 2 or 3 inches wide, and then lay these
along the chipboard T&G joints before putting the boards down. In fact,
for the miniscule extra effort it caused, it was worth laying the strips
along the tops of the joists too! So every 'interface' was then
protected/'lubricated' by a layer of slippery polythene.

No more creaking, and no problems in future if I want to lift the boards
again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 10:06:29 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Slider wrote:
To do the cutting (either just the tongue/groove joint or take a section
out) I am thinking of buying a Bosch PMF-180 multi-tool. Don't want to
cut a hole and use a jigsaw and I am unsure of elec cables / CH pipes
etc.

Any thoughts?

Although a multi-tool will do the job the blades tend to be expensive.
It's cheaper to snap off a jigsaw blade so the maximum cut is only to the
thickness of the board to avoid damage to things underneath.

Or beg,steal or borrow a circ saw adjusted for depth?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Although a multi-tool will do the job the blades tend to be expensive.
It's cheaper to snap off a jigsaw blade so the maximum cut is only to
the thickness of the board to avoid damage to things underneath.

Or beg,steal or borrow a circ saw adjusted for depth?

It will work but blades for those are expensive if you hit a nail, etc.
Jigsaw blades are cheap.

--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
Slider wrote:
Hi

Need to sort out some creaking chipboard floors before having new
carpets laid. I think the creak is from the joint (tongue and
groove) between two boards. I am thinking about cutting the joint
and just filling it with PVA wood glue. Or, I may cut a patch out and
refit adding some noggins for support.

To do the cutting (either just the tongue/groove joint or take a
section out) I am thinking of buying a Bosch PMF-180 multi-tool. Don't
want to cut a hole and use a jigsaw and I am unsure of elec
cables / CH pipes etc. Any thoughts?

I usually fix creaking by putting a few more fixing screws in. Should
have done so before our lounge diner carpet was laid. Keeps sounding
like I am f**ting as I walk through the double doors between the two
rooms.

Disguise this DIY blunder by actually farting as you walk through the doors.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk