Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BFM (Big Fat Moron)

Yes, me... Just took delivery of 6 sheets of ply and 2 bits of 900x1800
12.5mm plasterboard.

Packed the ply away in the shed. Was now slightly tired.

Went to the house and opened the back door to take the PB in - the same
door that opens outwards and I'd leaned the PB against off the truck.

You can all laugh now - it was a total Stan Laurel moment.

2 sheets fell over, to be stopped at the top edge by a grass bank at 30
degrees off horizontal with a very amusing (for bystanders, not me)
sound as the middle went wopwopwop

Anyway - cannot see any cracks in the exposed plaster edge even flexing
the sheets and the paper seems undamaged.

Is this likely to have weakened them with some unseen cracks through the
plaster core?

It's only for lining the underside of the roof under celotex where my
new mains waterpipe is going hence the couple of small sheets as I don't
need much. Rest will get lined later but the pipe run will make doing a
couple of areas hard, hence do it now.

Verbal abuse is welcome - as long as you throw an opinion in!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doh!!!! :-):-):-):-)

Nah just whack it up.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/14 12:30, JimK wrote:
Doh!!!! :-):-):-):-)

Nah just whack it up.

Jim K

Hehe..

And doesn't 18mm ply in full sheets weigh a ton (that's why I was
knackered). Normally buy it cut into bits...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2014 12:43, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/10/14 12:30, JimK wrote:
Doh!!!! :-):-):-):-)

Nah just whack it up.

Jim K

Hehe..

And doesn't 18mm ply in full sheets weigh a ton (that's why I was
knackered). Normally buy it cut into bits...

I remember getting 25 sheets of them up a long ladder when I did my
loft! (still compared to shifting 50 sheets of 12mm PB the hard way,
that was easy)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 02/10/14 12:30, JimK wrote:
Doh!!!! :-):-):-):-)

Nah just whack it up.

Jim K

Hehe..

And doesn't 18mm ply in full sheets weigh a ton (that's why I was
knackered). Normally buy it cut into bits...

Last time had some boards to move, I bought on a whim one of those board
carrier things. It really does make carrying and manoeuvring boards
single handed much easier.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-plaster-board-carrier/51509
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:

Last time had some boards to move, I bought on a whim one of those board
carrier things.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-plaster-board-carrier/51509

Or a Gorilla Gripper?
http://youtu.be/aEUhmev0ZQE

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2014 21:06, Chris French wrote:
In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 02/10/14 12:30, JimK wrote:
Doh!!!! :-):-):-):-)

Nah just whack it up.

Jim K

Hehe..

And doesn't 18mm ply in full sheets weigh a ton (that's why I was
knackered). Normally buy it cut into bits...

Last time had some boards to move, I bought on a whim one of those board
carrier things. It really does make carrying and manoeuvring boards
single handed much easier.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-plaster-board-carrier/51509

I would certainly second that: I bought one to shift a pile of
fireboard, which is heavier than normal PB. Dunno how I would have
managed it single handed without.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/14 21:06, Chris French wrote:
In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 02/10/14 12:30, JimK wrote:
Doh!!!! :-):-):-):-)

Nah just whack it up.

Jim K

Hehe..

And doesn't 18mm ply in full sheets weigh a ton (that's why I was
knackered). Normally buy it cut into bits...

Last time had some boards to move, I bought on a whim one of those board
carrier things. It really does make carrying and manoeuvring boards
single handed much easier.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-plaster-board-carrier/51509

That looks rather cool

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/14 12:30, JimK wrote:
Doh!!!! :-):-):-):-)

Nah just whack it up.

Jim K

Hehe..

And doesn't 18mm ply in full sheets weigh a ton (that's why I was
knackered). Normally buy it cut into bits...

Last time had some boards to move, I bought on a whim one of those board
carrier things. It really does make carrying and manoeuvring boards
single handed much easier.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-plaster-board-carrier/51509

That looks rather cool

With a rather impressive 99 year manufacturer's guarantee to boot!
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 02/10/14 12:30, JimK wrote:
Doh!!!! :-):-):-):-)

Nah just whack it up.

Jim K

Hehe..

And doesn't 18mm ply in full sheets weigh a ton (that's why I was
knackered). Normally buy it cut into bits...

Last time had some boards to move, I bought on a whim one of those board
carrier things. It really does make carrying and manoeuvring boards
single handed much easier.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-plaster-board-carrier/51509

That looks rather cool

It really makes such a difference. One arm is straight down by your side
taking the load, and the other one is used to stabilise it, so much
easier than that awkward stretch across the width of the board.

Vids on youtube I imagine if you want to see it in action.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/14 21:54, Tim Watts wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-plaster-board-carrier/51509

That looks rather cool

Here's a variation, with a very funny advert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEUhmev0ZQE

More expensive (£50 ish) compared to £8 for the former. I'll get the
former...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/14 21:06, Chris French wrote:

Last time had some boards to move, I bought on a whim one of those board
carrier things. It really does make carrying and manoeuvring boards
single handed much easier.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-plaster-board-carrier/51509

You sir deserver the honour of "most useful product recommendation, Oct
2014"

Mine came this morning.

Yes, it works - moved 18mm 8x4' ply sheets single handed (well 2 handed
to be exact).

Last time I moved them (Thu) it was a 2 man job or drag them along the
ground.

I tried it on some 3x6' 12.5mm plasterboard and because you can put it
on the outside with your arm over the board, you can carry those single
handed.

Make you wonder why it took so long to invent this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2014 19:25, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/10/14 21:06, Chris French wrote:

Last time had some boards to move, I bought on a whim one of those board
carrier things. It really does make carrying and manoeuvring boards
single handed much easier.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-plaster-board-carrier/51509

You sir deserver the honour of "most useful product recommendation, Oct
2014"

Mine came this morning.

Yes, it works - moved 18mm 8x4' ply sheets single handed (well 2 handed
to be exact).

Last time I moved them (Thu) it was a 2 man job or drag them along the
ground.

I tried it on some 3x6' 12.5mm plasterboard and because you can put it
on the outside with your arm over the board, you can carry those single
handed.

Make you wonder why it took so long to invent this?

Of course, once you have one, it's not difficult to see how you could
have made something very similar, but then it's too late of course (and
they're not that expensive.....)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 02/10/14 21:06, Chris French wrote:

Last time had some boards to move, I bought on a whim one of those board
carrier things. It really does make carrying and manoeuvring boards
single handed much easier.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-plaster-board-carrier/51509

You sir deserver the honour of "most useful product recommendation, Oct
2014"

Mine came this morning.

Yes, it works - moved 18mm 8x4' ply sheets single handed (well 2 handed to
be exact).

Last time I moved them (Thu) it was a 2 man job or drag them along the
ground.

I tried it on some 3x6' 12.5mm plasterboard and because you can put it on
the outside with your arm over the board, you can carry those single
handed.

Make you wonder why it took so long to invent this?

You can say that same thing about the wheel, and why the Japs
never did manage to do that, or do the wheelbarrow either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 19:25:21 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Make you wonder why it took so long to invent this?

Eh? Plasterboard carriers have been around for years.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

2 sheets fell over, to be stopped at the top edge by a grass bank at 30
degrees off horizontal with a very amusing (for bystanders, not me)
sound as the middle went wopwopwop

My similar accident was to open the up and over garage door, thus
knocking over the police motorbike of the policeman who was visiting. It
smashed an indicator and one of the controls on the handlebars, and
scratched the side of the petrol tank.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2014 11:17, Tim Watts wrote:
Yes, me... Just took delivery of 6 sheets of ply and 2 bits of 900x1800
12.5mm plasterboard.

Packed the ply away in the shed. Was now slightly tired.

Went to the house and opened the back door to take the PB in - the same
door that opens outwards and I'd leaned the PB against off the truck.

You can all laugh now - it was a total Stan Laurel moment.

2 sheets fell over, to be stopped at the top edge by a grass bank at 30
degrees off horizontal with a very amusing (for bystanders, not me)
sound as the middle went wopwopwop

Anyway - cannot see any cracks in the exposed plaster edge even flexing
the sheets and the paper seems undamaged.

Its the paper that gives it most of the strength, so if it looks good
chances are it will be fine once its screwed to something rigid.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:17:54 AM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

If it looks ok it is. Its easy to see when its split inside, and even then its usable.

NT

There's only way to describe this moron Jabba UK diy 28 August 30th 14 11:45 AM
Hungover Mustached Moron John McWilliams Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 06:15 AM
Am I a moron? W Canaday Woodworking 14 September 8th 05 11:02 PM
Moron needs work Michael Mcneil UK diy 22 August 30th 04 09:03 AM
electric moron here Larry Home Repair 12 July 24th 04 03:54 PM