Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Attic - white powder deposits?

Not sure how visible it is on these pics, but I was in the loft a couple of days ago after SWMBO was up there and encountered a couple of wasps. When she disappeared, and hence silence ensued, I couldn't hear any tell-tale buzzing of wasps (the two she had encountered had been dealt with), so took a look around our cluttered loft to see if I could see anything untoward. There's no real reason why a couple of wasps couldn't have gained access without there being a nest in there.

Anyway, I spotted unexpected trails of whitish dust - they looked like some sort of calcium type deposits, and the trail of them was solely underneath the valley where two roof sections join at right angles. I've not noticed this before, so I am assuming that this is a new development in an otherwise relatively unused area of our house. Photos arent great, but hopefully you get the picture.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...021.13..04.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...021.13..09.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...021.13..16.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...021.13..43.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...021.13..56.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does Pete Doherty live in your loft by any chance?

"larkim" wrote in message
[...]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2021.13.04.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2021.13.09.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2021.13.16.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2021.13.43.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2021.13.56.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"larkim" wrote in message

[...]

You know, I knew that something along those lines was coming
my way at some point.

Sadly, no, otherwise the quality of the music played in my
household would have been dramatically improved.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 October 2014 09:45:35 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Bird or bat droppings??

Brian

--

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

"larkim" wrote in message

[...]

I'm excluding that as a thought as they are on the upper part of the attic - i.e. the birds or bats would have to crap upwards to coat the inside of the underside of the valley, which is where the powder seems to originate. Which is partly why I was considering the potential for an insect / wasp / spider detritus, but there wasn't enough animal activity up there to apparently justify it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gazz" wrote in message ...
"larkim" matthew.larkin wrote in message
[...]

In Brian's world they do. I suspect mould.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm excluding that as a thought as they are on the upper part of the
attic - i.e. the birds or bats would have to crap upwards to coat the
inside of the underside of the valley, which is where the powder
seems to originate. Which is partly why I was considering the
potential for an insect / wasp / spider detritus, but there wasn't
enough animal activity up there to apparently justify it.

I had a similar deposit on some of the rafters in our loft. It hasn't
got any worse over the years and I put it down to lime washing out of
brickwork on the roof. Actually it was almost too white to be chalk, and
did look more like bird ****