Posted to alt.home.repair
Ish Ish is offline

Default White powder and damp backyard

Last week I noticed some white powder residue in my patio and along
the patio wall (one inch above the base). The backyard has been moist
for the last month with the sprinklers off. We did have a lot of
rain, but I think that is not the reason. I have checked the outside
water meter and there is no leakage (meter is not running when the
water is not turned inside the house).

There is no damp spot inside the house yet. I am seeking advice as to
who to call for an inspection or advice - should it be a plumber or
some other expert?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ish Ish is offline

On Jan 14, 6:55*am, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
* * What is the patio made of?

* * Are you saying you don't know why the ground is moist? *Is the problem
the powder?

* * Just reading your message, I would guess the rain has caused the ground
to be dame, and some of the moisture is being drawn through the patio and
leaving that white powder, both of which would be normal. *You might need to
wash the white powder off.

"Ish" wrote in message

Last week I noticed some white powder residue in my patio and along
the patio wall (one inch above the base). *The backyard has been moist
for the last month with the sprinklers off. *We did have a lot of
rain, but I think that is not the reason. *I have checked the outside
water meter and there is no leakage (meter is not running when the
water is not turned inside the house).

There is no damp spot inside the house yet. *I am seeking advice as to
who to call for an inspection or advice - should it be a plumber or
some other expert?

Joseph Meehan

*Dia 's Muire duit

Thanks Joseph.
The patio is made of concrete and was there when we bought the house.
The rains have stopped for more than a week and the dampness level is
very high as compared to the previous 9 years of our stay in the
house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ish wrote:
Last week I noticed some white powder residue in my patio and along
the patio wall (one inch above the base). The backyard has been moist
for the last month with the sprinklers off. We did have a lot of
rain, but I think that is not the reason. I have checked the outside
water meter and there is no leakage (meter is not running when the
water is not turned inside the house).

There is no damp spot inside the house yet. I am seeking advice as to
who to call for an inspection or advice - should it be a plumber or
some other expert?

the powder is mineral salts being deposited by water moving
through the cement and evaporating away.

there are some 'internal' concrete sealers that will reduce or
sloe the movement of the water through the cement - google "bio
vee seal'

Cheers,

Paul Oman 1/14/2008 11:34:27 AM

"If a family had two or fewer servants in the United States in
1900, census takers recorded the family as lower middle class."