Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HDMI cables What's the difference between...

Another Dave wrote

On 27/09/2014 12:18, mark wrote:
A £2 lead 'v' £52 lead.

If they work on a digital signal, to my thinking either they work or they
don't, I can't think of how they'd be different.

I'm pretty sure you're right about HDMI. However, I think you should be
careful about extending the argument to USB cables. These are also used
to transmit power and some, in my experience, have such thin wires that
the voltage drop can prevent the powered device from operating properly
or, indeed, at all.

One of my local pound shops is selling Belkin branded cables.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 18:16:10 +0100, Jabba wrote:

Another Dave wrote

On 27/09/2014 12:18, mark wrote:
A £2 lead 'v' £52 lead.

If they work on a digital signal, to my thinking either they work or they
don't, I can't think of how they'd be different.

I'm pretty sure you're right about HDMI. However, I think you should be
careful about extending the argument to USB cables. These are also used
to transmit power and some, in my experience, have such thin wires that
the voltage drop can prevent the powered device from operating properly
or, indeed, at all.

One of my local pound shops is selling Belkin branded cables.

At that price, probably worth the money then.
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 18:46:06 +0100, Johny B Good wrote:

One of my local pound shops is selling Belkin branded cables.

At that price, probably worth the money then.

Or it just shows how much mar^H^H^Ha ripoff other retailers are. If a
pound shop can sell at a pound and still make a profit...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
One of my local pound shops is selling Belkin branded cables.

Yes, the 99p shop, and I also found they had Stanley sliding door repair
kits. We have 2 sliding doors here which may or may not use these kits,
but, hey, I can make tons of stuff for the grandchildren out of
collections of little wheels and metal brackets.

But we went back last week for the 2 alarm clocks for 99p, only to find
it was now Christmas in 99pland, and alarm clocks are summer holiday
items and no longer in the shops.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

hey, I can make tons of stuff for the grandchildren out of
collections of little wheels and metal brackets.

Tut tut! Get your arse down to ToysRUs and buy some proper toys!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jabba wrote:
One of my local pound shops is selling Belkin branded cables.

Poundland do that. However, I'd look at the SKUs carefully. I don't know
for certain but I suspect they're made specially for them. It's a bit like
the 'Kodak' batteries they sell - I doubt Kodak had anything to do with them
beyond licensing the brand, they're probably made in a random Chinese
factory like everything else.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:

One of my local pound shops is selling Belkin branded cables.

Poundland do that. However, I'd look at the SKUs carefully. I don't know
for certain but I suspect they're made specially for them. It's a bit like
the 'Kodak' batteries they sell - I doubt Kodak had anything to do with them
beyond licensing the brand

That would be an advantage in the case of Belkin.

-- Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote

Jabba wrote:
One of my local pound shops is selling Belkin branded cables.

Poundland do that. However, I'd look at the SKUs carefully. I don't know
for certain but I suspect they're made specially for them. It's a bit like
the 'Kodak' batteries they sell - I doubt Kodak had anything to do with them
beyond licensing the brand, they're probably made in a random Chinese
factory like everything else.

I can't see either Belkin or Kodak wishing to be associated with
substandard products. They'd be ****ing away all the money they've
spent on their 'brand awareness'.

http://www.kodakbatteries.strandeurope.com/
http://www.belkinbusiness.com/uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article sting.com,
Jabba wrote:

I can't see either Belkin [...] wishing to be associated with
substandard products.

Quite right. That's why they pay people to write fake reviews of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belkin#Criticism

-- Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 10:39:33 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Tobin) wrote:

In article sting.com,
Jabba wrote:

I can't see either Belkin [...] wishing to be associated with
substandard products.

Quite right. That's why they pay people to write fake reviews of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belkin#Criticism

That doesn't surprise me. They were ok with stuff like mains surge
arrestor filters but once they applied their branding to crap routers,
the game was up. My very first 'purpose made' gateway router, bought
over a decade ago to replace a PC running Debian's firewalling rules
between the NTL Pace STB and the house lan, just happened to be a
Belikin model I'd bought from my local Staples Store for the reaonable
(at the time) price of 50quid.

I took it back as "Unfit for purpose" a week later for a full refund
once I realised there was no way to fully disable remote management.

I've never looked back, other than going "That explains it!" whenever
I used to read of other users gateway/router woes once they'd admitted
to using a Belkin product.
--
J B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2014 19:59, Johny B Good wrote:
My very first 'purpose made' gateway router, bought
over a decade ago to replace a PC running Debian's firewalling rules
between the NTL Pace STB and the house lan, just happened to be a
Belikin model I'd bought from my local Staples Store for the reaonable
(at the time) price of 50quid.

I took it back as "Unfit for purpose" a week later for a full refund
once I realised there was no way to fully disable remote management.

Distress purchase also in Staples, also on NTL. Don't think it lasted a
day. But only because Staples close overnight. Simply did not work properly.

Decided that there will always be something better than Belkin,
something less expensive than Belkin, and not infrequently both at the
same time.

--
Rod