Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HDMI cables What's the difference between...

On 27/09/2014 16:19, Another Dave wrote:
On 27/09/2014 12:18, mark wrote:
A £2 lead 'v' £52 lead.

If they work on a digital signal, to my thinking either they work or they
don't, I can't think of how they'd be different.

I'm pretty sure you're right about HDMI. However, I think you should be
careful about extending the argument to USB cables. These are also used
to transmit power and some, in my experience, have such thin wires that
the voltage drop can prevent the powered device from operating properly
or, indeed, at all.

Another Dave

All the various leads I've had from Poundland have worked just fine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2014 12:18, mark wrote:
A £2 lead 'v' £52 lead.

If they work on a digital signal, to my thinking either they work or
they
don't, I can't think of how they'd be different.

I'm pretty sure you're right about HDMI. However, I think you should be
careful about extending the argument to USB cables. These are also used
to transmit power and some, in my experience, have such thin wires that
the voltage drop can prevent the powered device from operating properly
or, indeed, at all.

Another Dave

All the various leads I've had from Poundland have worked just fine

The USB hub I bought was almost CFU - it works, but only just

The front lamp of a front/rear bike lamp combo was CFU (it was impossible to
"snap" the lens back in once you put the batteries (not included) in it).
The rear works OK so I kept it

The "all in one" remote control didn't have pre-programmed codes for for any
brand of PVR (which is what I wanted it for). Anyone want a new remote for
their TV?

The "night light I bought was DOA (that was so unarguable I took it back for
a refund! - I was passing anyway)

buying "electrical" stuff from the pound shop is pretty hit and miss IME

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2014 12:18, mark wrote:
[...]

Not if it's the same one I returned as "Not Fit For Purpose" on
account the battery compartment didn't hold the 2 AAA cells in place
securely enough to stop it losing its hard won setting.

The "night light I bought was DOA (that was so unarguable I took it back for
a refund! - I was passing anyway)

It's actually your duty as a good citizen to return such crap to the
pound shop for a full refund (how else will they learn to stop selling
those chinese made disposable gas lighters that fail because of an
absence of a tenth of a penny's worth of plastic renders them unusable
before you've consumed even as much as a fifth of the gas or flint
(the consumable items that are _supposed_ to be the life limiting
factors on such 'disposable' items)?

buying "electrical" stuff from the pound shop is pretty hit and miss IME

That can be true but, hey, just pop the duff stuff in a bag marked
£Returns so that the next shopping trip that takes you near to a £
store of the same retail chain, you can pop in and claim your refund
(it doesn't have to be the same branch- you _do_ keep hold of your
receipts, don't you?).
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2014 17:28, stuart noble wrote:

All the various leads I've had from Poundland have worked just fine

It was a USB lead from one of the Pound-something shops (I can't
remember which one) that led me to comment. I used it to connect a
powered USB hub to a Raspberry Pi with rubbish results. Replacing it
with the lead which came with my HUDL cured the problem.

Pound-something HDMI leads have been fine.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to gmx in e-mail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2014 12:18, mark wrote:
A £2 lead 'v' £52 lead.

If they work on a digital signal, to my thinking either they work or
they
don't, I can't think of how they'd be different.

I'm pretty sure you're right about HDMI. However, I think you should be
careful about extending the argument to USB cables. These are also used
to transmit power and some, in my experience, have such thin wires that
the voltage drop can prevent the powered device from operating properly
or, indeed, at all.

Another Dave

All the various leads I've had from Poundland have worked just fine

After having lots of problems with microUSB leads I decided to buy an
expensive one. Solved all the problems I had.

a) Fits all the microUSB sockets on all the devices I use properly
(phones and others) some of which had sometimes been iffy. That is, the
physical plug simply fits the hole better.
b) All devices seem to charge properly and transmit data happily. Had
lots of occasions where devices appeared/disappeared from computer due
to lead. At its worst, I was seeing a PC grind to a stop connecting /
disconnecting repeatedly every few seconds. Or devices start charging -
but stop second after you leave them.
c) There was c) when I started typing.... What was it?

It also looks much nicer!

Also went for a short USB-microUSB lead and use a standard USB-USB
extension lead as needed to avoid using long lengths of very thin wire.
Maybe I wouldn't have needed to with the good lead, but I have found it
quite convenient to carry round a selection of USB extension leads.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2014 12:18, mark wrote:
[...]

I think that you've hit the nail on the head. Beyond basic goodness,
digital cables don't vary much. My connectors can go between tin plated
****e to gold plated dimensionally correct. Since the 70's I've always
preferred to pay a littl more for a good connector.

3.5mm jacks are notorious for being iffy of cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2014 19:01, Tim Watts wrote:
Since the 70's I've always
preferred to pay a littl more for a good connector.

'Little' being the operative word.
£30 up, nah.

Fair enough paying say £10 as opposed to £2 to get better connectors
thicker wires etc but that is for usage improvement NOT higher quality
distribution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

All the various leads I've had from Poundland have worked just fine

Dog, cat, anything?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/14 02:50, Bill Wright wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

All the various leads I've had from Poundland have worked just fine

Dog, cat, anything?

Cat-5

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

All the various leads I've had from Poundland have worked just fine

Dog, cat, anything?

Cat-5

Poundland do reasonable cat 5 but you don't need to spend that much for
a good cat 5 cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/14 11:11, Dennis@home wrote:

Poundland do reasonable cat 5 but you don't need to spend that much for
a good cat 5 cable.

Yup, 20m of Belkin branded for a quid... :-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 11:34:12 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

On 28/09/14 11:11, Dennis@home wrote:

Poundland do reasonable cat 5 but you don't need to spend that much for
a good cat 5 cable.

Yup, 20m of Belkin branded for a quid... :-)

Twenty metres? The last time I looked, the biggest they had were 5
metre patch cables. I bought 3 of them. I must look out for those 20
metre cables next time I'm in a Poundland shop.
--
J B Good