Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dremel's $1000 2D printer

I see that Dremel have announced a $1,000 3D printer:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...he-masses.html

I've been wondering when 3D printing will start to become mainstream
for a few years now. Not sure if this is cheap enough or good enough
yet though.

Any thoughts? Would you spend that sort of money on a 3D printer?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Caecilius wrote:
I see that Dremel have announced a $1,000 3D printer:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...he-masses.html

I've been wondering when 3D printing will start to become mainstream
for a few years now. Not sure if this is cheap enough or good enough
yet though.

Any thoughts? Would you spend that sort of money on a 3D printer?

No, Costco have one for the same sort of price. The results from these
are pretty poor and require a lot of effort for a diy job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
Caecilius wrote:
I see that Dremel have announced a $1,000 3D printer:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...he-masses.html

I've been wondering when 3D printing will start to become mainstream
for a few years now. Not sure if this is cheap enough or good enough
yet though.

Any thoughts? Would you spend that sort of money on a 3D printer?

No, Costco have one for the same sort of price. The results from these
are pretty poor and require a lot of effort for a diy job.

They've been available for a couple of years from CPC and such for
much less. £389

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2014 13:52, Caecilius wrote:
I see that Dremel have announced a $1,000 3D printer:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...he-masses.html

I've been wondering when 3D printing will start to become mainstream
for a few years now. Not sure if this is cheap enough or good enough
yet though.

Any thoughts? Would you spend that sort of money on a 3D printer?

No.
I might buy one of these
http://cpc.farnell.com/up/up02/3d-pr...ini/dp/MK00193

But you really want dual extruders.
Its difficult to do some shapes without two types of plastic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2014 13:52, Caecilius wrote:
I see that Dremel have announced a $1,000 3D printer:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...he-masses.html

I've been wondering when 3D printing will start to become mainstream
for a few years now. Not sure if this is cheap enough or good enough
yet though.

Any thoughts? Would you spend that sort of money on a 3D printer?

I'd prefer a 3 axis CNC framework which you fixed a Dremel to!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
news

On 19/09/2014 13:52, Caecilius wrote:
I see that Dremel have announced a $1,000 3D printer:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...he-masses.html

I've been wondering when 3D printing will start to become mainstream
for a few years now. Not sure if this is cheap enough or good enough
yet though.

Any thoughts? Would you spend that sort of money on a 3D printer?

I'd prefer a 3 axis CNC framework which you fixed a Dremel to!

Here ya go:
https://www.inventables.com/categories/machines

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2014 22:06, Richard wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
news

On 19/09/2014 13:52, Caecilius wrote:
I see that Dremel have announced a $1,000 3D printer:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...he-masses.html

I've been wondering when 3D printing will start to become mainstream
for a few years now. Not sure if this is cheap enough or good enough
yet though.

Any thoughts? Would you spend that sort of money on a 3D printer?

I'd prefer a 3 axis CNC framework which you fixed a Dremel to!

Here ya go:
https://www.inventables.com/categories/machines

Well done!

Many, many years ago I used to use a pair of Unislide single axis
stepper motor slides to scan surface profiles in two dimensions. Lateral
resolution 2.5 microns, vertical "noise" a fraction of a micron IIRC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 19/09/2014 22:06, Richard wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
news

On 19/09/2014 13:52, Caecilius wrote:
I see that Dremel have announced a $1,000 3D printer:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...he-masses.html

I've been wondering when 3D printing will start to become mainstream
for a few years now. Not sure if this is cheap enough or good enough
yet though.

Any thoughts? Would you spend that sort of money on a 3D printer?

I'd prefer a 3 axis CNC framework which you fixed a Dremel to!

Here ya go:
https://www.inventables.com/categories/machines

Well done!

No problem. I remembered that Inventables had that sort of stuff after
visiting it to check out their materials some time ago.
https://www.inventables.com/categori...onal-materials

Many, many years ago I used to use a pair of Unislide single axis stepper
motor slides to scan surface profiles in two dimensions. Lateral resolution
2.5 microns, vertical "noise" a fraction of a micron IIRC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Caecilius wrote

I see that Dremel have announced a $1,000 3D printer:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...he-masses.html

I've been wondering when 3D printing will start to
become mainstream for a few years now. Not sure
if this is cheap enough or good enough yet though.

Any thoughts? Would you spend that sort of money on a 3D printer?

I wouldn't, because I don't need what they can make.

I can see that those that need small plastic
figurines for kids etc might well do tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Caecilius wrote:
Any thoughts? Would you spend that sort of money on a 3D printer?

The big problem is not the 3D printing, it's the 3D CAD.

So you want a "thing" shaped "like this". How do you translate that into a
model file you can print?

In 2D, first we had the photocopier then we had the printer. Now we have 3D
printers but 3D photocopiers are some way behind.

Give people a lump of putty and most would be able to fashion something
roughly what they want. Give them AutoCAD and 90% will give up trying.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/14 14:09, Theo Markettos wrote:
Give them AutoCAD and 90% will give up trying.

Give then RHINO CAD and they will fare a lot better.

Solidworks is the nightmare. Yes, if you are designing a formula one
car, and know already what shape it is to be, its fantastic,

If you don't know what shape it is to be, you might as well use a pencil.