Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wheelchair ramp

I need to build a wheelchair ramp to cover a drop of about 180mm for a friend. Having spoken to the metal workshop, it's not much cheaper than just buying a plastic one, so I'm looking at building a ramp out of decking instead (it only needs to last for 6 months).

The base at the moment is gravel. My plan is to

* Scrape out the gravel
* If the grounds looks solid, use it. Otherwise put some concrete pads down
* Dig out a bit at the bottom of the ramp, so that I don't need to taper the decking to nothing.
* cut some tapering base pieces from PT, for a in 1 in 12 gradient
* add cross-braces at the bottom of the frame
* place smooth decking on top, width-ways
* Add some edging pieces to stop the wheel chair falling off sideways* Oil the decking
* Add grip strips (or possibly just use walk sure decking in the first place)

Since it's a temporary measure, and also need to be in quickly, I do not plan on building a balustrade, or a landing. If we do need one later, I'll pick up the whole ramp, move it, and put the landing in the middle!

I'm aware that this will rot at the bottom end, but I don't see it as likely to disintegrate over one winter. Any other problems people can see?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2014 11:45, wrote:
[...]

It'll work well enough.

It might be as quick to just make a ramp out of hardcore and sand, then
put some slabs down on that. Unless there's a reason you need it to be
removable, say because the landlord wants everything reinstated as it
was at the end of a lease.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 September 2014 14:20:53 UTC+1, wrote:
Having chatted to his wife, I've come to much the same conclusion. She cares more about just having someone sort it out for her than the end price (which will be eventually paid by the insco of the car that hit him....)

The only question I'm trying to work out now is - recommended gradient is 1 in 12 for a wheelchair ramp - but what gradient can I get away with given he will always have assistance?

Just found this:
http://www.wheelchairramps.co.uk/choose.html
1:5 tops for manual assisted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2014 11:45, wrote:
[...]

If you are doing it properly you need a 4' square level landing outside
the door.
Most people will find it hard to keep a wheel chair stable on a ramp
whilst operating the door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 11:45:02 AM UTC+1, wrote:
I need to build a wheelchair ramp to cover a drop of about 180mm for a friend. Having spoken to the metal workshop, it's not much cheaper than just buying a plastic one, so I'm looking at building a ramp out of decking instead (it only needs to last for 6 months).
The base at the moment is gravel. My plan is to
* Scrape out the gravel
* If the grounds looks solid, use it. Otherwise put some concrete pads down

paving slabs. If needed. Wood pads would last 6 months.

* Dig out a bit at the bottom of the ramp, so that I don't need to taper the decking to nothing.

Probably no need.

* cut some tapering base pieces from PT, for a in 1 in 12 gradient
* add cross-braces at the bottom of the frame

I'm unclear what you mean there. The sheet material will brace it. When I did a quick lightweight ramp I used ply with 2 sticks screwed on, nothing else underneath.

* place smooth decking on top, width-ways
* Add some edging pieces to stop the wheel chair falling off sideways* Oil the decking

The edging may be all the frame you need

* Add grip strips (or possibly just use walk sure decking in the first place)

Or varnish plus a light sprinkle of sand. Over-grip can itself cause falls though.

Since it's a temporary measure, and also need to be in quickly, I do not plan on building a balustrade, or a landing. If we do need one later, I'll pick up the whole ramp, move it, and put the landing in the middle!
I'm aware that this will rot at the bottom end, but I don't see it as likely to disintegrate over one winter. Any other problems people can see?

Believe it needs to be 1 in 12 for a wheelchair.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Forget all the decking boards and tread grips etc, simply make the sloping
base as you normally would, then use OSB for the ramp.
Cover with mineral felt and tuck over the sides, use felt nails to hold in
place.

I've had ramps built like this passed by BCO for wheelchair use, even though
they ended up in a skip 6 months later when the houses were eventually sold.

Also, a timber yard will cut lengths of 7X2 to a taper for you, then you get
two out of one length

OT Wheelchair CW[_8_] Woodworking 25 June 21st 12 05:04 AM
Help - Wheelchair impossible on my rugs. [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 22nd 10 10:02 PM
Help - Wheelchair impossible on my rugs. Steve B[_9_] Home Repair 1 April 22nd 10 10:00 PM
Wheelchair lift for van Tom Gardner Metalworking 13 June 10th 05 07:41 PM
wheelchair ramp Kathy Home Repair 11 October 26th 04 06:24 AM