Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default PIRs and table lamps

I have a yale wireless alarm system with PIRs. Now when I go holidays it
was my intention to connect a timer to a couple of table lamps obviously
to come on for a few hours when its dark, would this set off the alarm?
Similar question I have an outside LED floodlamp and although it doesnt
point directly towards the internal PIR in a particular room it would
show increased light on that window.
I have aneighbour who has access should the need arise but dont want to
have issues if I can avoid them.

Any thoughts?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2014 21:09, ss wrote:
I have a yale wireless alarm system with PIRs. Now when I go holidays it
was my intention to connect a timer to a couple of table lamps obviously
to come on for a few hours when its dark, would this set off the alarm?
Similar question I have an outside LED floodlamp and although it doesnt
point directly towards the internal PIR in a particular room it would
show increased light on that window.
I have aneighbour who has access should the need arise but dont want to
have issues if I can avoid them.

Any thoughts?

PIRs rely upon temperature rate of change and movement. A CFL bulb
should only heat up or cool down slowly. I have never heard of a PIR
sensor being sensitive to a stationary CFL light bulb.

Glass is opaque to long wave IR so no thermal energy from a flood light
will pass through a closed window; again I see no problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 12:08:38 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
"ss" weels51 wrote in message

I have a yale wireless alarm system with PIRs. Now when I go holidays it
was my intention to connect a timer to a couple of table lamps obviously to
come on for a few hours when its dark, would this set off the alarm?
Similar question I have an outside LED floodlamp and although it doesnt
point directly towards the internal PIR in a particular room it would show
increased light on that window.
I have aneighbour who has access should the need arise but dont want to
have issues if I can avoid them.

Any thoughts?

Pirs usually monitor movement acros a matrix not changes in light surely, so
I don't see a problem at all.

PIR lenses turn movement across the scene into changes in IR/light level seen by the sensor.

IME PIRs sometimes do react to a light switching on in their field of vision, sometimes not.

I'd guess that shielding pir's direct view of the lamp would probably fix it. Guess.

NT