Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Re-condition table lamps

On Dec 28, 7:11*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
On Dec 28, 3:49*am, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:

I bought 2 end-table lamps years ago. Neither cheap nor expensive, like the
common fare at a decent dept. store. 95% metal, the bottom 1/3 is brass (or
similar) plated steel (according to my magnet), the upper 2/3 is evidently
real brass.

The bottom 1/3 of each is corroding and looks pretty bad.

I don't wanna spend $100 for another pair of rustable lamps. Would like
to re-condition what I have.

What can be done with plated steel? Surface-prep and paint? Anything else
come to mind?

* Thx,
* Will

If you really want to get into it, you could do some research on what
they used on the Statue of Liberty or the Griffith Park Observatory
dome when they renovated them several years ago. In fact let us know
what you find out.

I seem to recall that the Statue of Liberty was made of copper on a
steel skeleton and developed the green patina expected from that metal
especially in the moist harbor environment.

Joe G
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Joe G- Hide quoted text -

It was cleaned and coated with a special coating that would not effect
the appearance and protect it from the elements as I remember. I never
paid attention as to what that coating was unfortunately.