Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fridge Freezers - makes?

Any of these worth avoiding?

Liebherr
Candy
Smeg

I have to help someone choose a new FF - and sadly it's integrated and
with all the limitations (60/40 spilt, 545mm or less appliance width,
door sliders coupling to cabinet door rather than door-on-door) there
are it seems 3 choices from one particular seller.

The one I assume is best is Liebherr.

Smeg I've read is all form over function.
Candy I assume is the cheap option...

Do I have that about right?

Myself - I have a Miele free standing FF which is great. However the
Miele option (from another supplier) is so insanely expensive, it is not
even funny.

On an aside - current unit is a door slider coupling (cabinet door is
hinged normally, opening that pulls the fridge door open via a sliding
bracket).

Can this be adapted to a door-on-door FF by simply removing the cabinet
hinges or is it more subtle?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2014 09:47, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

As I am in the process off fridge/freezer hunting I am also interested.
It seems to me that the only retailer that still exists is Curry's, in
this area (Stoke on Trent) at least, otherwise it means a trip to a
larger conurbation where there are major stores like John Lewis.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/14 12:28, Broadback wrote:

As I am in the process off fridge/freezer hunting I am also interested.
It seems to me that the only retailer that still exists is Curry's, in
this area (Stoke on Trent) at least, otherwise it means a trip to a
larger conurbation where there are major stores like John Lewis.

Our John Lewis do not have an integrated appliances to show - and as
nothing on their website seems to fit the specific hold I have, I'm
looking at:

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/

who I've used before. They do have a human who asnwers the phone and a
good parametric search.

Damn integrated appliances - exactly why I am designing the kitchen at
the house I'm slowly fixing to have non of that nonsense - just makes
buying and changing 10 times harder.

Washing machins and dishwashers probably not too bad - the former only
has one size and the latter 2 sizes that I know off.

Fridges (at least more than 10 years old) and hobs have about 20
billionty size variations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

[...]

Have you looked at ao.com?
Have not used them myself, no need yet, but have heard that they are quite
good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:04:14 +0100, Richard wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

[...]

I used them when we bought a freezer last month (a Bosch).

Ordered early one morning for delivery next morning (paid £19.99 to
ensure that). Got email updates. Target 0700-1200 slot.

On the morning, text at 0620 giving me a 2 hour slot. Then an automated
call at 0630 giving an overlapping 2 hour slot, reduicing it to 0700-0800.

Knock on door at 0700 - they had been waiting up the road for 20 minutes!

Unloaded and gone in 10 minutes having unpacked it and placed where i
wanted (in the middle of the floor as I needed to reverse the door). Door
reversed before 0800 and breakfast consumed. Job Done.

Follow up phone call from carriers at 1000.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Aug 2014 15:33:55 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Ref ao.com

I used them when we bought a freezer last month (a Bosch).

Ordered early one morning for delivery next morning (paid £19.99 to
ensure that). Got email updates. Target 0700-1200 slot.

I had two good experiences with their 'ordinary' next day delivery a
couple of months ago. Both were Sunday deliveries, one on a bank
holiday weekend. Delivery guys were helpful and friendly, put things
where I wanted. Prices were good, I'd go back to them.
(I looked at their site because I'd read that they are causing Currys
some grief in attracting business from them.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2014 14:04, Richard wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message

[...]

I used them (in their AppliancesOnline.co.uk guise for Samsung FF - they
seemed pretty good, and preferrable to any of the stuffdirect cowboys
who are a tad lower than carpet underlay level in my book!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

[...]

The last one I bought was cheapest at tesco.
They also were giving an extra £35 worth of clubcard points which I
doubled in their event to get £70 off a sale priced TV.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
"Tim Watts" wrote in message

[...]

Yup, I had another good experience with them when I bought a dishwasher
about a year ago.

Delivery (the deliver on a specified day did go as planned) all went
smoothly.

Good CS as well. The day after I ordered, Bosch announced a cashback
deal (£75 quid off) I rung them up expecting to have to cancel it and
reorder to get the cashback. But they offered keep the existing order
and to refund £75 back to my card, which suited me even more (and I got
to also get the 6 months free dishwasher tabs from the previous
promotion)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2014 01:55, John Rumm wrote:

I used them (in their AppliancesOnline.co.uk guise for Samsung FF - they
seemed pretty good,

+1
Competitive pricing and they delivered within the agreed time slot with
a text message first thing in the morning to say that the item was on
the truck and another saying they were 30 minutes away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2014 14:04, Richard wrote:

Have you looked at ao.com?
Have not used them myself, no need yet, but have heard that they are
quite good.

They're good. Low prices, delivery included and good communication on
delivery time.

2% cashback if you go through TopCashBack.

www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/digital gets you to TopCashBack if you're not
already a member (and gets me a referral fee).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 28/08/14 09:47, Tim Watts wrote:
Any of these worth avoiding?

Liebherr
Candy
Smeg

Liebherr is what I have. They manufacture them for Miele.

I have to help someone choose a new FF - and sadly it's integrated and
with all the limitations (60/40 spilt, 545mm or less appliance width,
door sliders coupling to cabinet door rather than door-on-door) there
are it seems 3 choices from one particular seller.

The one I assume is best is Liebherr.

Smeg I've read is all form over function.
Candy I assume is the cheap option...

Do I have that about right?

Myself - I have a Miele free standing FF which is great. However the
Miele option (from another supplier) is so insanely expensive, it is not
even funny.

See above your Miele is actually made by Liebherr!

On an aside - current unit is a door slider coupling (cabinet door is
hinged normally, opening that pulls the fridge door open via a sliding
bracket).

Can this be adapted to a door-on-door FF by simply removing the cabinet
hinges or is it more subtle?

Cheers

Tim

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/14 21:53, djc wrote:
On 28/08/14 09:47, Tim Watts wrote:
Any of these worth avoiding?

Liebherr
Candy
Smeg

Liebherr is what I have. They manufacture them for Miele.

Thanks

I wonder why the equivalent Miele model is so much more...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2014 23:49, Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/08/14 21:53, djc wrote:
On 28/08/14 09:47, Tim Watts wrote:
Any of these worth avoiding?

Liebherr
Candy
Smeg

Liebherr is what I have. They manufacture them for Miele.

Thanks

I wonder why the equivalent Miele model is so much more...

Same reason you pay more for a Audi than the VW or Skoda variant of the
same platform.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"djc" wrote in message ...

[...]

Where did you find that information?
Admittedly the stuff in my link is from wikipedia, but I cannot find (in the
short time I've tried) a better source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._manufacturers

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 29/08/14 08:53, Richard wrote:
"djc" wrote in message ...

On 28/08/14 09:47, Tim Watts wrote:
Any of these worth avoiding?

Liebherr
Candy
Smeg

Liebherr is what I have. They manufacture them for Miele.

Where did you find that information?
Admittedly the stuff in my link is from wikipedia, but I cannot find (in
the short time I've tried) a better source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._manufacturers

I can't remember now. Before I bought the Liebherr I did a lot of
research, sufficient to satisfy myself that it was true. I do remember
comparing a Liebherr and Miele side by side in John Lewis and concluding
that they certainly came out of the same factory.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"djc" wrote in message ...

On 28/08/14 09:47, Tim Watts wrote:
Any of these worth avoiding?

Liebherr
Candy
Smeg

Liebherr is what I have. They manufacture them for Miele.

Where did you find that information?
Admittedly the stuff in my link is from wikipedia, but I cannot find (in
the short time I've tried) a better source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._manufacturers

I can't remember now. Before I bought the Liebherr I did a lot of
research, sufficient to satisfy myself that it was true. I do remember
comparing a Liebherr and Miele side by side in John Lewis and concluding
that they certainly came out of the same factory.

And how did you know that the factory was a Liebherr not a Miele site?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"djc" wrote in message ...

On 28/08/14 09:47, Tim Watts wrote:
Any of these worth avoiding?

Liebherr
Candy
Smeg

Liebherr is what I have. They manufacture them for Miele.

Where did you find that information?
Admittedly the stuff in my link is from wikipedia, but I cannot find (in
the short time I've tried) a better source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._manufacturers

I can't remember now. Before I bought the Liebherr I did a lot of
research, sufficient to satisfy myself that it was true. I do remember
comparing a Liebherr and Miele side by side in John Lewis and
concluding that they certainly came out of the same factory.

And how did you know that the factory was a Liebherr not a Miele site?

The real point to be made is that even two factories may well source
components and subassemblies from a third.

How many cars for example use a borg-warner automatic transmission?

How many gearbox, manufactures are there? Or fuel injection system
manufacturers?

Today being a car manufacturer means taking someone else's components
and assembling them in a bodyshell of your own design only. Engines,
transmissions, and all the mechanical bits are sub contracted to other
places, as are wheels brakes and the like.

The 'manufacturer' at best is a design shop and a marketing entity for
the brand. And an assembler of cars, not a real manufacturer.

Same for white goods. Same for almost everything.

My PC has a motherboard and chipset designed broadly by Intel,
manufactured god knows where and assembled into a (I think) korean
manufactured case with a chinese power supply...and is honest in that
it doesn't have a brand badge on it anywhere.

Brands are less and less indicative of anything at all. Hotpoint, once a
reliable British brand, is not subsumed into a generic multinational
purveyor of consumer pressed tin crap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/14 21:53, djc wrote:
On 28/08/14 09:47, Tim Watts wrote:
Any of these worth avoiding?

Liebherr
Candy
Smeg

Liebherr is what I have. They manufacture them for Miele.

+1 for Liebherr. I have a builtin fridge with freezer comp at top.

10 years old now, not expensive at the outset, and I've broken (WE have
broken...) three shelves on the door, and had spares off them first of
all free, and subsequently at very low money with good customer service.

Only hassle was they didn't deliver the last set of shelves immediately.
I emailed the girl back and said 'I hope you have a good excuse' she
emailed back with a link saying 'is this good enough'

Fire had totally destroyed UK warehouse :-)

Notwithstanding she escalated the order to top priority and I got the
parts ahead of everyone else a few days later.

Its not quite Miele quality of total bombproofness - its still a shade
plasticky inside BUT the build quality is perceptibly higher than the
average white goods.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/14 21:53, djc wrote:
On 28/08/14 09:47, Tim Watts wrote:
Any of these worth avoiding?

Liebherr
Candy
Smeg

Liebherr is what I have. They manufacture them for Miele.

+1 for Liebherr. I have a builtin fridge with freezer comp at top.

Thanks all -

I went for a Liebherr in the end.

The choices were really limited (perhaps artificially - the parametric
web search on the supplier's site was not perfect adn I might have
missed a couple of other ones that would have fitted if I had known to
look at the dimensions diagram.

On a +1 vote - http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/ do have a good website
- many of the fridges have the manufacturer's dimensions diagram on the
product page, zoomable enough to be readable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

On a +1 vote - http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/ do have a good website

Indeed, I used them recently for a freezer. They had demo videos
of the ones I was interested in, which was quite useful.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2014 21:53, djc wrote:
See above your Miele is actually made by Liebherr!

Is this only for fridge freezers or does it also apply to other
refrigeration products branded Miele?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2014 09:47, Tim Watts wrote:
Any of these worth avoiding?

Liebherr
Candy
Smeg

I have to help someone choose a new FF - and sadly it's integrated and
with all the limitations (60/40 spilt, 545mm or less appliance width,
door sliders coupling to cabinet door rather than door-on-door) there
are it seems 3 choices from one particular seller.

The one I assume is best is Liebherr.

Smeg I've read is all form over function.
Candy I assume is the cheap option...

Do I have that about right?

Myself - I have a Miele free standing FF which is great. However the
Miele option (from another supplier) is so insanely expensive, it is not
even funny.

IIRC Miele FFs are made by Liebherr anyway...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:47:53 AM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
Any of these worth avoiding?

Liebherr

A relative's Liebherr FF was repaired four times in its first four years. Not what I'd expect for the price it cost.

opinions on Sharp fridge-freezers & reliability of frost-freeness Adam Funk[_3_] UK diy 16 December 6th 11 10:16 PM
Fridge/Freezers - manufacturers to go for and to avoid? jamma-plusser UK diy 20 May 27th 08 10:59 AM
Freezers / F.Freezers - mine just died - any recomendations? tester UK diy 14 December 13th 06 05:43 PM
Fridge Freezers choice?? vince UK diy 1 November 3rd 05 10:12 PM
Fridge Freezers Adrian Simpson UK diy 11 January 17th 04 04:02 PM