Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "eco" shower heads

Trying to find a replacement shower head - old one is spraying in funny directions and some of the rub-clean rubber nipples are leaking where they join to the plastic head.
Most of the new ones around (i.e. according to google) seem to have less holes (although some look like larger holes), and several are labelled "eco". When I looked last time a few years ago, this was not the case. Maybe for some reason I am finding low pressure compatible ones but that seems unlikely as most things are tending to assume high pressure these days.

I got this cheapo without thinking and it is hopeless.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Taps.../sd3197/p80027

Luckily I have found this, which is identical to mine but without the rub-clean nipples - which seem to be a point of failure anyway.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-mul...d-chrome/94888
http://www.screwfix.com/p/fish/94888

However this may be end of line as it is not shown on the manufacturers website (I know it could be a "special") and the current triton ones have - guess what - less holes.

Shower heads seem to be getting worse for some reason. I wondered it they are suffering from some eco regulation, although you can still get the drencher types.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:21:07 AM UTC+1, sm_jamieson wrote:
Trying to find a replacement shower head - old one is spraying in
funny directions and some of the rub-clean rubber nipples are
leaking where they join to the plastic head.

Shower heads divide into the for-electric-instantaneous and the for-hot-water-cylinder (whether mains pressure, pumped or vented). For-electric ones let through a lot less water to correspond to the lower flow on electric showers.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I replaced our main shower head with a cheap Lidl (or was it Aldi, can't
remember!) one about 4 years ago thinking I'd get a good one next time I was
in the plumbers merchants. Well 4 years later its still fine.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2014 11:07, Muddymike wrote:
[...]

The Argos one for about a fiver has been my stopgap for er...well a
couple of years at least
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote :
[...]

We did the same about a couple years ago, getting one with an
adjustable spray pattern, unfortunately its middle pattern has so
little flow, the shower cuts out assuming there is no flow.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
sm_jamieson wrote:

Shower heads seem to be getting worse for some reason. I wondered it
they are suffering from some eco regulation, although you can still get
the drencher types.

Bought one of these last week (argos clearance - free delivery to store)
to replace a 3 mode one on parents old shower.

Appeared to be identical, but with the addition of a 4th mode "Eco".

Didn't seem to make much difference at all when one the end of a 1.5 bar
pump. With the pump off relying on pretty poor gravity feed it made a very
pathetic shower much much worse...

Previous one lasted over 10 years, so that one gets a few votes assuming
it lasts as long :-)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article ,
sm_jamieson wrote:

Shower heads seem to be getting worse for some reason. I wondered it
they are suffering from some eco regulation, although you can still get
the drencher types.

Bought one of these last week (argos clearance - free delivery to store)
to replace a 3 mode one on parents old shower.

Duh! That'll teach me...

one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351012594630

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:52:01 PM UTC+1, D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article ,

D.M.Chapman wrote:

In article ,

sm_jamieson wrote:

Shower heads seem to be getting worse for some reason. I wondered it

they are suffering from some eco regulation, although you can still get

the drencher types.

Bought one of these last week (argos clearance - free delivery to store)

to replace a 3 mode one on parents old shower.

Duh! That'll teach me...

one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351012594630

You would think eco mode would be finer jets so the shower feels more powerful with less water. The shower head I got (said "eco" on the packaging but not on the website) seemed to just have less holes and you had to run around to get in the way of the jets !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2014 01:35, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:52:01 PM UTC+1, D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article ,

D.M.Chapman wrote:

In article ,

sm_jamieson wrote:

Shower heads seem to be getting worse for some reason. I wondered it

they are suffering from some eco regulation, although you can still get

the drencher types.

Bought one of these last week (argos clearance - free delivery to store)

to replace a 3 mode one on parents old shower.

Duh! That'll teach me...

one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351012594630

You would think eco mode would be finer jets so the shower feels more powerful with less water. The shower head I got (said "eco" on the packaging but not on the website) seemed to just have less holes and you had to run around to get in the way of the jets !
Simon.

Apologies to op for cluttering up your mailbox.

I MUST USE THE TB FOLLOW UP BUTTON NOT REPLY
I MUST USE THE TB FOLLOW UP BUTTON NOT REPLY
I MUST USE THE TB FOLLOW UP BUTTON NOT REPLY
I MUST USE THE TB FOLLOW UP BUTTON NOT REPLY

I have recently bought a shower head claiming to be a "spa" shower head
with very fine jets with an inbuilt water softener - similar to this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ceramic-Fi...p2054897.l5675

I have yet to decide if its snake oil and how long it will be before the
very fine holes gum up with lime-scale. However although the very fine
holes give a lovely shower I have noted the the water droplets are so
very small that those around the outside of the spray have cooled
significantly by the time the spray gets down to about waist height. Its
an interesting experience of a hot core with a much cooler periphery.

--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2014 12:05, stuart noble wrote:

The Argos one for about a fiver has been my stopgap for er...well a
couple of years at least

Snap - cheap with no gimmicks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 20:09:58 +0100, news wrote:

Its
an interesting experience of a hot core with a much cooler periphery.

It's a sophisticated red-head.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Swine !
What screwfix are now selling that does not match the website photo is this:
http://secure.tritonshowers.co.uk/sh...ad-chrome.html

Compare to the picture he
http://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-mul...d-chrome/94888

Less holes ! Arrrrhhhh !
The old shower head will go back on whilst I start my search again.

By the way, the main problem with this:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Taps.../sd3197/p80027

is that the holes are angled so that jets have an inward angle and after a short distance the jets combine into a single water flow.

Simon.