Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Blacksmithing content: forging coal shovel heads or "blades" and the use of a blacksmith's swage block

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 00:13:30 -0500, spaco
wrote:

snip
Here's the url:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/L...SwageBlock.htm

Hi Pete,

Some comments...

The link to the printable/full size
"ShovelBlankNewAddress.jpg" still points to your local
computer. Some people will figure out how to find it anyway
but it probably should be fixed.

You could make it a bit smaller by decreasing color depth
and using png. I cropped it a bit so the overall dimension
is less than 8 inches wide. Most printers won't print wider
than 8 inches. The size will be off slightly if someone
tries to print and it gets "fitted to page". You might also
want to add some dimensions, that way people could verify
with a ruler that it did indeed print out to the correct
size. I added a line at the bottom with arrow heads,
suggesting where a measurement might go. Maybe an up-down
measurement would be good too. See:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/shovelblanknewaddress.png

I'm not a blacksmith, but enjoyed reading the article. Just
happened to notice the bad link in my status bar when my
mouse was over it.

Don't know what graphics program you are using, but
Irfanview (if you are running Windows) works well for minor
tweaks. The Paint and RIOT/Save For Web plugins (for
Irfanview) work real nice for this. See:

http://www.irfanview.com/

If you want I'll finish tweaking the image if you will
supply/add the measurements.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b