Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Patching leatherette armchair

Does anyone know of a way to patch leatherette (I think it's called)
when the outer layer has been abraded away exposing the underlying
fabric?

I've been wondering if 'puff' fabric dye, or black silicone rubber, or
black silk emulsion, would do a reasonable job.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 04:30:07 GMT, lid (Windmill)
wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to patch leatherette (I think it's called)
when the outer layer has been abraded away exposing the underlying
fabric?

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-Car.../dp/B0058WXNOK

a "Leather Repair Kit", for automobile "leather" seats.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to patch leatherette (I think it's called)
when the outer layer has been abraded away exposing the underlying
fabric?

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-Car.../dp/B0058WXNOK

a "Leather Repair Kit", for automobile "leather" seats.

Thank you for the link. It sounds as though it will do the job.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2014 13:19, Windmill wrote:

Thank you for the link. It sounds as though it will do the job.

[quote from extended description]
"Not suitable for scuffs/worn leather or general cosmetic repairs"

That kit is probably for cuts in the leather

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2014 05:30, Windmill wrote:
Does anyone know of a way to patch leatherette (I think it's called)
when the outer layer has been abraded away exposing the underlying
fabric?

I've been wondering if 'puff' fabric dye, or black silicone rubber, or
black silk emulsion, would do a reasonable job.

Try Youtube videos on the subject
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c8lPMxEe4A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m writes:

On 18/08/2014 05:30, Windmill wrote:
Does anyone know of a way to patch leatherette (I think it's called)
when the outer layer has been abraded away exposing the underlying
fabric?

I've been wondering if 'puff' fabric dye, or black silicone rubber, or
black silk emulsion, would do a reasonable job.

Try Youtube videos on the subject
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c8lPMxEe4A

Thanks, I'll have a look.

On a related topic, I have some cheap Argos tub chairs which haven't
had the salt properly washed out of the fabric, so that sweat from an
arm soaks into the armchair then dries leaving a white mark.
I need to either buy some kind of coating to create that shiny look you
see on some folk's clothing, or buy the new Argos chocolate-coloured
chairs which come with that type of finish.

Any ideas about that?

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m

Armchair Re-upholstery question Anna Graham UK diy 3 December 5th 12 03:40 PM
Armchair refurbishment robgraham UK diy 0 January 2nd 12 04:10 PM
Antique leatherette case smells like poop, crap, etc. (can't findprevious thread on this topic) msg Electronics Repair 17 May 22nd 09 08:59 PM
HANGING ARMCHAIR J T Woodworking 0 September 21st 06 08:08 AM
Repaing Armchair rshepard at twodogs dot us Woodworking 6 September 5th 06 12:08 AM