Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Armchair Re-upholstery question

I have an old arm chair that I stripped back years ago and am just
getting round to re-upholstering now. The issue is that I can't
remember what padding was used on the back and my notes don't shed any
light on the problem. The chair has a full sized cushion on the seat
and back and I am 100% sure it wasn't a sprung back as I would have
kept the springs.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly received!
I can send a photo if that would be of help.

Anna
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 15/06/2012 20:50, Anna Graham wrote:
I have an old arm chair that I stripped back years ago and am just
getting round to re-upholstering now. The issue is that I can't
remember what padding was used on the back and my notes don't shed any
light on the problem. The chair has a full sized cushion on the seat
and back and I am 100% sure it wasn't a sprung back as I would have
kept the springs.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly received!
I can send a photo if that would be of help.

Anna

Wasnt horse hair used in years gone by.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/15/2012 8:11 PM, ss wrote:
On 15/06/2012 20:50, Anna Graham wrote:
I have an old arm chair that I stripped back years ago and am just
getting round to re-upholstering now. The issue is that I can't
remember what padding was used on the back and my notes don't shed any
light on the problem. The chair has a full sized cushion on the seat
and back and I am 100% sure it wasn't a sprung back as I would have
kept the springs.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly received!
I can send a photo if that would be of help.

Anna

Wasnt horse hair used in years gone by.

These days much upholstery is done using foam padding, even if the
original was horsehair.
Junior Member

Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Graham View Post
I have an old arm chair that I stripped back years ago and am just
getting round to re-upholstering now. The issue is that I can't
remember what padding was used on the back and my notes don't shed any
light on the problem. The chair has a full sized cushion on the seat
and back and I am 100% sure it wasn't a sprung back as I would have
kept the springs.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly received!
I can send a photo if that would be of help.

Anna
Hi Anna, I was an upholsterer myself for many years and I expect there would have been some webbing on the seat and back, to support whichever fillings are being used. If you are using foam (which is a quicker way of re-upholstering a chair and sometimes can be more comfortable) then there are many different densities to choose from, all which will be fire retardant. It's always advisable to add a layer of polyester dacron to foam before placing the outer covering on which prevents the fabric from gripping on to the foam making your upholstery job a lot easier. Hope this helps.

Last edited by J Steward : December 5th 12 at 06:10 PM Reason: removed link

Armchair refurbishment robgraham UK diy 0 January 2nd 12 04:10 PM
Another question: Cleaning upholstery. David UK diy 20 March 25th 09 06:56 PM
Another question: Cleaning upholstery. David UK diy 0 March 24th 09 09:42 PM
HANGING ARMCHAIR J T Woodworking 0 September 21st 06 08:08 AM
Repaing Armchair rshepard at twodogs dot us Woodworking 6 September 5th 06 12:08 AM