Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bosch wallpaper stripper - repair dodgy element?

Just broken out my Bosch PTL1 stripper
(http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...3L._SY300_.jpg) to start a
decorating project, but it's up the creek - once it's up to temperature,
it's cycling on and off about every 15 secs. The problem is not pressure-
related (still happens when the tank cap is off) and the tank is half-full;
looks like the thermostat in the element has developed a fault? We live in
a soft water area so scaling isn't likely.

Assuming my diagnosis is correct = I've searched high and low to no avail
for a new element. Any suggestions? Is it likely the stat can be fixed? or
is it new stripper time ?

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Earlex £25 Argos brand new w gtee.....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Aug 2014, JimK grunted:

Earlex £25 Argos brand new w gtee.....

Sorted... thanks for that!

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Just broken out my Bosch PTL1 stripper
(http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...3L._SY300_.jpg) to start a
decorating project, but it's up the creek - once it's up to temperature,
it's cycling on and off about every 15 secs. The problem is not pressure-
related (still happens when the tank cap is off) and the tank is half-full;
looks like the thermostat in the element has developed a fault? We live in
a soft water area so scaling isn't likely.

Assuming my diagnosis is correct = I've searched high and low to no avail
for a new element. Any suggestions? Is it likely the stat can be fixed? or
is it new stripper time ?

Available from Bosch part no 1 609 203 784
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug 2014, Bob Minchin
grunted:

Lobster wrote:
Just broken out my Bosch PTL1 stripper
(http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...3L._SY300_.jpg) to
start a decorating project, but it's up the creek - once it's up to
temperature, it's cycling on and off about every 15 secs. The
problem is not pressure- related (still happens when the tank cap is
off) and the tank is half-full; looks like the thermostat in the
element has developed a fault? We live in a soft water area so
scaling isn't likely.

Assuming my diagnosis is correct = I've searched high and low to no
avail for a new element. Any suggestions? Is it likely the stat can
be fixed? or is it new stripper time ?

Available from Bosch part no 1 609 203 784

Oh - I tried that route: where did you find this, out of interest? I drew
a blank on Bosch's site for any spares for the stripper, and couldn't find
anywhere else that sold the element. The 'best' place was apparently
http://www.powertoolspares.com/tool/...cessories-for-
wallpaper-stripper-ptl-1-1/0603315142/spares/, although for the above part
number that gives "plastic container" at 59 GBP!

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, August 16, 2014 4:48:05 PM UTC+1, Lobster wrote:
On 16 Aug 2014, Bob Minchin bob.minchin
grunted:
Lobster wrote:

[...]

Find any cheap pattern element supplier, give them the drawing & power rating, ask them to make you one.

Or just fit anything that will fit, gives similar clearances from plastic parts, has similar power rating and similar surface area. That of course means turning up somewhere with the unit & element.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
On 16 Aug 2014, Bob Minchin
grunted:

Lobster wrote:
[...]

It was on the Bosch spares shop website. The element is part of the
reservoir. I did not know the 10 digit part number for your stripper so
picked a UK 230v model. They listed what looked to be every part.

I have a lot of Bosch tools and find they keep spares for tools I bought
25-30 years ago.