Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet leak

I am fitting a new concealed cistern. I cannot get a tight seal where the cistern base pipe meets the toilet bowl and when I flush the toilet water pours from this joint. Has anyone got any tricks of the trade?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What make & model cistern etc?

Presume 'context queens' will manage without.....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Denis M." wrote in
:

I am fitting a new concealed cistern. I cannot get a tight seal where
the cistern base pipe meets the toilet bowl and when I flush the
toilet water pours from this joint. Has anyone got any tricks of the
trade?

How have you made the joint? Was anything supplied with the bowl?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:39:44 PM UTC+1, Denis M. wrote:
I am fitting a new concealed cistern. I cannot get a tight seal where the cistern base pipe meets the toilet bowl and when I flush the toilet water pours from this joint. Has anyone got any tricks of the trade?

Sorry, I don't know what make. Its very basic thought!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:39:44 PM UTC+1, Denis M. wrote:
I am fitting a new concealed cistern. I cannot get a tight seal where the cistern base pipe meets the toilet bowl and when I flush the toilet water pours from this joint. Has anyone got any tricks of the trade?

The problem was that the cistern was continually running water which overflowed. A plumber replaced the cistern first but that too had a defective part. The plumber wouldn't come back and simply left the replacement part!!!! All the other parts are the originals including the seal between bowl and cisyern.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/14 19:39, Denis M. wrote:
I am fitting a new concealed cistern. I cannot get a tight seal where the cistern base pipe meets the toilet bowl and when I flush the toilet water pours from this joint. Has anyone got any tricks of the trade?

is it a flexi? anyway I had all this and ended up with a whole tube of
white silicone plastered everywhere

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2014 19:39, Denis M. wrote:
I am fitting a new concealed cistern. I cannot get a tight seal where
the cistern base pipe meets the toilet bowl and when I flush the
toilet water pours from this joint. Has anyone got any tricks of the
trade?

The seal is made with one of these;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2887/p54652

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2835/p28142

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Denis M." wrote:

I am fitting a new concealed cistern. I cannot get a tight seal where the
cistern base pipe meets the toilet bowl and when I flush the toilet water
pours from this joint. Has anyone got any tricks of the trade?

I may had something similar (I think, from what little you've said).
There is a pipe which enters the bottom of our toilet cistern; the
moulding of the cistern is *slightly* wrong, such that the curve of the
cistern infringes on where the hole for this pipe is, thus the joint is
(was) not perfectly sealed. The result was a constant drip.

After months of tightening and re-tightening the pipe (all the while
nervous of cracking the porcelain), scratching my head, looking for some
other source of leak, I finally realised that the joint was a fraction
too close to the curve in the moulding. I disassembled the joint,
re-assembled with "plumber's gunge" in addition to the washers, and I
haven't had the problem since.

I should have got the plumber back right away, but being a DIY sorta
guy, I always thought it would be "easy enough for me to fix when I get
round to it" .... we put up with that leak for years!

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Denis M." writes:
On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:39:44 PM UTC+1, Denis M. wrote:
I am fitting a new concealed cistern. I cannot get a tight seal where the cistern base pipe meets the toilet bowl and when I flush the toilet water pours from this joint. Has anyone got any tricks of the trade?

The problem was that the cistern was continually running water which overflowed. A plumber replaced the cistern first but that too had a defective part. The plumber wouldn't come back and simply left the replacement part!!!! All the other parts are the originals including the seal between bowl and cisyern.

The "doughnut washer" which seals between bowl and cistern can't be
reused as it deforms and won't reseal after it's been installed a
for a short time. You will need a new one (which will look bigger
than the one you took out).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2014 21:58, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Denis M." writes:
On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:39:44 PM UTC+1, Denis M. wrote:
I am fitting a new concealed cistern. I cannot get a tight seal where the cistern base pipe meets the toilet bowl and when I flush the toilet water pours from this joint. Has anyone got any tricks of the trade?

The problem was that the cistern was continually running water which overflowed. A plumber replaced the cistern first but that too had a defective part. The plumber wouldn't come back and simply left the replacement part!!!! All the other parts are the originals including the seal between bowl and cisyern.

The "doughnut washer" which seals between bowl and cistern can't be
reused as it deforms and won't reseal after it's been installed a
for a short time. You will need a new one (which will look bigger
than the one you took out).

If its a concealed (or congealed) cistern it will use a pipe?

I agree re doughnuts :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/14 21:57, Another John wrote:
In article ,
"Denis M." wrote:

I am fitting a new concealed cistern. I cannot get a tight seal where the
cistern base pipe meets the toilet bowl and when I flush the toilet water
pours from this joint. Has anyone got any tricks of the trade?

I may had something similar (I think, from what little you've said).
There is a pipe which enters the bottom of our toilet cistern; the
moulding of the cistern is *slightly* wrong,

When I went to buy a corner sink, the BM took me too a room and said
'pick the best one, they are all different'..

...and they were. Apparently china for bogs/basins is something that
shrinks after moulding.

The doughnut seals can only cope with so much: the answer is extra
sealer in the form of mait or silicone which is a way to make a
conformant gasket.

One of my plumbers advised me to always throw away most of the seals on
bathroom china and use silicone instead.

He has been proved right many times.

big beads on silicone, finger tight: wipe off excess with white spirit,
wait 24 hours and tighten down hard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am confused. Are we talking low level cistern connected by short bent
pipe - or a coupled cistern that uses a doughnut?

People are answering with what they know - but the OP said "pipe" - but did
he mean a pipe?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:39:44 -0700 (PDT), Denis M. wrote:

I am fitting a new concealed cistern.

So similar to a high level cistern but with a short pipe connecting
cistern to bowl. Not a close coupled set up where the cisten sits on
the back of the bowl with a "doughnut" around the cistern outlet that
empties directly into the part of the bowl it is sat on.

I cannot get a tight seal where the cistern base pipe meets the toilet
bowl and when I flush the toilet water pours from this joint. Has anyone
got any tricks of the trade?

We have a high level system here and the flush pipe fits into a soft
rubber sealing grommit type thing. You say "pours" so presumably you
don't have one of these:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Toilet-Doubl...ector/p/420039
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Macdee-Inter...C1601/p/227696
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Toilet-Inter...ector/p/400778

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2014 23:10, DerbyBorn wrote:

I am confused. Are we talking low level cistern connected by short bent
pipe - or a coupled cistern that uses a doughnut?

People are answering with what they know - but the OP said "pipe" - but did
he mean a pipe?

He also said 'concealed cistern'. Which means a pipe, not a doughnut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/14 19:39, Denis M. wrote:
I am fitting a new concealed cistern. I cannot get a tight seal where
the cistern base pipe meets the toilet bowl and when I flush the
toilet water pours from this joint. Has anyone got any tricks of the
trade?

I had a weep from mine post fitting.

I cured it by injecting silicone *into the joint* with something like
one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/251417398673

Fine tip is still OK to pump silicone through and allows it to be
injected 5mm+ into the joint all round.

These days I might replace the silicone with Geocel The Works as it
works on wet substrates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote in news:t0ksbb-gt4.ln1
@squidward.local.dionic.net:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/251417398673

Before bodging with gunks and gunges, have you got the pipe centralised and
in good alignment? Are you using the correct parts?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2014 19:39, Denis M. wrote:
I am fitting a new concealed cistern. I cannot get a tight seal where
the cistern base pipe meets the toilet bowl and when I flush the
toilet water pours from this joint. Has anyone got any tricks of the
trade?

The seal is made with one of these;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2887/p54652

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2835/p28142

I find these much less effective than the old rubber sort with the extra
lip which folds over the outside of the boss on the pedestal, especially
if the alignment is not very good. I've never taken the trouble to
change the bend angle of the plastic pipe on one of my loos to fix this,
so always need to re-seal it with silicone when it gets disturbed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2014 10:16, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:39:44 -0700 (PDT), Denis M. wrote:

I am fitting a new concealed cistern.

So similar to a high level cistern but with a short pipe connecting
cistern to bowl. Not a close coupled set up where the cisten sits on
the back of the bowl with a "doughnut" around the cistern outlet that
empties directly into the part of the bowl it is sat on.

I cannot get a tight seal where the cistern base pipe meets the toilet
bowl and when I flush the toilet water pours from this joint. Has anyone
got any tricks of the trade?

We have a high level system here and the flush pipe fits into a soft
rubber sealing grommit type thing. You say "pours" so presumably you
don't have one of these:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Toilet-Doubl...ector/p/420039
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Macdee-Inter...C1601/p/227696
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Toilet-Inter...ector/p/400778

Can't be sure of the material of the last one, but the first two look
much better to me than the thing TMH posted. Don't recall seeing either
in Wickes before, but will certainly hunt for some for spares next time
I am there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2014 20:45, DerbyBorn wrote:
Tim Watts wrote in news:t0ksbb-gt4.ln1
@squidward.local.dionic.net:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/251417398673

Before bodging with gunks and gunges, have you got the pipe centralised and
in good alignment? Are you using the correct parts?

Indeed (though not always easy to get perfectly aligned).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/14 20:45, DerbyBorn wrote:
Tim Watts wrote in news:t0ksbb-gt4.ln1
@squidward.local.dionic.net:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/251417398673

Before bodging with gunks and gunges, have you got the pipe centralised and
in good alignment? Are you using the correct parts?

I did - it was a poor quality plastic (rather than rubber) seal...

Tiny toilet leak Willie The Wimp Home Repair 8 August 24th 09 08:43 PM
Toilet leak Charles Pisano Home Repair 4 November 17th 07 09:01 PM
cause of leak from toilet J Home Repair 6 March 12th 07 10:21 PM
Toilet Leak J Home Repair 0 March 11th 07 05:07 AM
toilet leak Frank Boettcher Home Repair 5 January 17th 06 10:13 PM