Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet leak

I replaced the 3 tank to toilet bolts and washers (properly) and also
the gasket between the tank and the toilet bowl. But I still have one
bolt that wants to leak.

It happens to be the same one that leaked before I replaced them. Is
there a trick to seal this up beyond what I've done. The fact it's in
the same area prompts me to think there might be a crack. But I don't
see any..

TIA
Charles

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now I think it's the gasket between the tank and the bow that's not
seating. Any fixes for this. The gasket is new and fits around the
threads of the tank drain thing..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Pisano wrote:

Now I think it's the gasket between the tank and the bow that's not
seating. Any fixes for this. The gasket is new and fits around the
threads of the tank drain thing..

Used some Si sealant?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The upper tank must be in firm contact with the lower bowl or else the upper
tank can rock and cause a leak from the bolts. The problem arises with the
gasket where the two meet. IT takes alot of pressure to compress it and you
are always afraid you will crack something. I have no good hints other than
to slowly tighten the tank bolts and maybe use a little silicon lube on the
gasket until you achieve solid contact. SOmetimes a different size gasket is
available. I have the same problem and do not know of any good fixes. I
once had my kid sit on the tank and that still was not enough force to
compress the gasket. I knew it was doable because I was reusing the gasket.
My only conclusin is that toilet bolws are tougher than they look and can
withstand the forces needed to seat the tank without cracking

"Charles Pisano" wrote in message
Now I think it's the gasket between the tank and the bow that's not
seating. Any fixes for this. The gasket is new and fits around the
threads of the tank drain thing..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tanks for the responses. I went to Home Depot instead on the 3rd go
round and the guy there showed me a gasket with an extra lip on it.
Worked like a charm..My 1982 toilet is good as new.

Of course I took the (other) lame as gasket back to bitch ass lowes and
got my 2 bucks back-bought a frosty with it...

toilet leak (sweat) Dan K Home Repair 3 August 6th 07 11:58 PM
cause of leak from toilet J Home Repair 6 March 12th 07 10:21 PM
Toilet Leak J Home Repair 0 March 11th 07 05:07 AM
toilet leak Frank Boettcher Home Repair 5 January 17th 06 10:13 PM
Troubleshooting a toilet leak Bill Home Repair 3 November 12th 05 11:00 AM