Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Headboard light - update

Well, it sort of works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3iohc6e40w...2014.41.58.jpg

I cobbled this together last night from a small IKEA desk light as a "proof
of concept".
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/pr...eredui=desktop

This one is another 20 cm longer than another suggested earlier.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00237267/

My thanks though for highlighting that one as I probably wouldn't have
found this one without that heads-up.

I used a thick plank of wood behind the headboard as a "counterweight" with
two more bits of batten to form the "hook". The desk lamp comes in two
pieces anyway so no disassembly was needed.

It nicely fills the gap in the light cast by our bedside lights and we can
now do crosswords without eyestrain. I did think about adapting some sort
of clamp but this just lifts off and the weight of the plank holds it
perfectly steady. I would have preferred a switch on the light but it
ticks all the other boxes now.

Of course I should pretty it up a bit but I won't be surprised if that
takes another 10 years or so. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 8, 2014 2:58:09 PM UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Can I suggest my solution that actually came about because the other half wanted vertical cushions on the wall so that she could lean back comfortably and read.

I mounted a wooden curtain rail on the wall at an appropriate height for the cushions to hang from. Ironically the cushions didn't ever appear, but it has supplied the ideal place for mounting bed head lights - one at each side so that I can go to sleep !!

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
-septemb
er.org,
Tim+ wrote:

Well, it sort of works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3iohc6e40w...2014.41.58.jpg

Thanks for the update -- nice job! And yes ...
"Of course I should pretty it up a bit but I won't be surprised if that
takes another 10 years or so. ;-)"

Precisely. You've done the interesting bit!

John