Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Good headboard reading light

Can anyone recommend a reading light that will clip on to the *vertical*
edge of a bed headboard, has a switch on the light, not the cord and
preferably LED? A flexible neck would be nice too.

You would have thought that there would be any number of lights that would
do but ALL the clip on lights seem to be designed to clip on to desk edges
and if clipped to a headboard would result in the stem of the light being
horizontal and projecting into the space my head may want to occupy!

I'm not averse to one that I could screw to the back of the headboard but I
just can't find anything suitable.

Yes, we do have bedside lights but they're in just the wrong position when
we're working on a crossword together in bed when a central headboard
mounted light would be much better.

This is the nearest I've found but I know that I'll hate "cool white"
light.

http://www.lightsupplier.co.uk/led-bedhead-light/

Any suggestions?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2014 21:27, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

I stuck one of the Rolson 3 LED bulkhead lights to the headboard. It
needs new batteries every week or three, and has a narrow spot, just the
right size for reading a Kindle, but too small for magazinse.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Can anyone recommend a reading light that will clip on to the *vertical*
edge of a bed headboard, has a switch on the light, not the cord and
preferably LED? A flexible neck would be nice too...

A while ago I used a 'littlite', designed for use on mixing desks etc in
theatres, on a bed. I screwed the light's base to a small block of wood and
cable-tied that to a bed post. The light's base had a rotating
off/dim/bright knob and the gooseneck allowed the light to be angled fairly
easily. The one I used was powered from a wall-wart transformer.

I think I got mine - which used a conventional bulb - this was long before
modern LED systems - from StudioSpares. It wasn't particularly cheap, IIRC,
but I had it and was abale to adapt it for bedtime use. The dimmer aspect
was useful because my partner hated bright light while she was asleep.

See: http://www.littlite.com/ for an extensive range of lights.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, August 4, 2014 9:27:51 PM UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Can anyone recommend a reading light that will clip on to the *vertical*
edge of a bed headboard, has a switch on the light, not the cord and
preferably LED? A flexible neck would be nice too.

These would screw onto the front, or the wall, but have a vertical gooseneck output

http://www.ecopowershop.com/ecoled-l...olished-chrome

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-Rea.../dp/B00GZ1AXJG

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

I've just got one of these for a light over the bathroom scales.
Should work fine as a bed head light.
The 10W would be plenty and it is available in warm white.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Flood-...em2 7dfcc6f7a

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Tim+ wrote

Can anyone recommend a reading light that will clip on to the
*vertical* edge of a bed headboard, has a switch on the light,
not the cord and preferably LED? A flexible neck would be nice too.

These would screw onto the front, or the wall, but have a vertical
gooseneck output

http://www.ecopowershop.com/ecoled-l...olished-chrome

Urk, that's an utterly obscene price for a bed head light.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-Rea.../dp/B00GZ1AXJG

That's not much better price wise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Would something like this be any use?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0068O5BGK

I know they're intended to clip onto a kindle or other e-reader, but I
can't see why they wouldn't work on a crossword.

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"0hjk" wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

Hmm, I take it you're unmarried? I can't image any woman allowing one of
those within a mile of her bedroom. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 01:55:06 +0100, Sam Plusnet wrote:

crossword.

Damn soillchuckers again?

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

Move over to one of the bedside lights and lie on top of her.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/
Move over to one of the bedside lights and lie on top of her.

--
Adam /q

Ooh matron noooooo

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

You're gonna think that we're really kinky be we really do work on
crosswords together. ;-) That could be difficult with your method.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
-septemb
er.org,
Tim+ wrote:

Can anyone recommend a reading light that will clip on to the *vertical*
edge of a bed headboard, has a switch on the light, not the cord and
preferably LED? A flexible neck would be nice too.

Any suggestions?

I bought two of these from IKEA: (£10 each):

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10214213/

I got round the clip being "wrong" by screwing a small block of wood to
the bedhead, then clipping to that. They're extremely good (I think):
the light is very bright, but very focused, and so mine doesn't disturb
the wife, and vice versa. Had 'em about 3 years so far.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another John" wrote in message
]...
In article
-septemb
er.org,
Tim+ wrote:

Can anyone recommend a reading light that will clip on to the *vertical*
edge of a bed headboard, has a switch on the light, not the cord and
preferably LED? A flexible neck would be nice too.

Any suggestions?

I bought two of these from IKEA: (£10 each):

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10214213/

Jesus ****ing christ.

That is an absolutely classic example of a completely
****ing useless photo that doesnt allow you to see
a ****ing thing in the photo.

I got round the clip being "wrong" by screwing a small block of wood to
the bedhead, then clipping to that. They're extremely good (I think):
the light is very bright, but very focused, and so mine doesn't disturb
the wife, and vice versa. Had 'em about 3 years so far.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
In article
-septemb
er.org,
Tim+ wrote:

Can anyone recommend a reading light that will clip on to the *vertical*
edge of a bed headboard, has a switch on the light, not the cord and
preferably LED? A flexible neck would be nice too.

Any suggestions?

I bought two of these from IKEA: (ÂŁ10 each):

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10214213/

I got round the clip being "wrong" by screwing a small block of wood to
the bedhead, then clipping to that. They're extremely good (I think):
the light is very bright, but very focused, and so mine doesn't disturb
the wife, and vice versa. Had 'em about 3 years so far.

John

I'd have to move the bed out from the wall to do that. Not impossible of
course but if only they'd make one with the clip the "right" way round. I
can't be the only person who'd like a simple clip on light to fit a
headboard!

I suspect I'll end up modifying a light like this. Would prefer one with
the switch on the light (where it will be more accessible) than on the
flex.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2014 21:27, Tim+ wrote:
Can anyone recommend a reading light that will clip on to the *vertical*
edge of a bed headboard, has a switch on the light, not the cord and
preferably LED? A flexible neck would be nice too.

We have a different solution. The conventional lamp shade type bedside
lights have spot bulbs. The spot shines on the ceiling, and the
reflection lights the book from above.

Andy

Light reading Higgs Boson[_2_] Home Repair 25 February 12th 11 03:05 PM
If you need some good reading Ignoramus26563 Metalworking 6 February 7th 10 02:14 AM
ESR reading?Good/ BAD ESR value? surface mount capacitor cause ripple wavy LCD? [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 April 11th 06 01:17 AM
CUSTOM HEADBOARD J T Woodworking 1 August 29th 05 05:41 AM
MISSION HEADBOARD J T Woodworking 0 August 28th 05 01:57 AM