Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good eyelet punch

Need to insert some eyelets in a Gazebo canopy we use. Purchased one on eBay which was a piece of ****e. The punch type cutter wouldn't cut the material and the eyelets and eyelet washers were like something out of a Christmas cracker. Light and flimsy.
Spotted an apparently better type of hand punch on Amazon but on enquiring about the diameter of the eyelet holes a previous customer responded to my query to say the tool was rubbish. His went straight into the bin.

Can't seem to source one locally where I might be able to asses the quality so can anyone suggest a good tool they have used.

To be fair I think punching a hole in the material is always going to be a problem. The fabric tends to stretch unlike leather or vinyl.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred
writes
Need to insert some eyelets in a Gazebo canopy we use. Purchased one on
eBay which was a piece of ****e. The punch type cutter wouldn't cut the
material and the eyelets and eyelet washers were like something out of
a Christmas cracker. Light and flimsy.
Spotted an apparently better type of hand punch on Amazon but on
enquiring about the diameter of the eyelet holes a previous customer
responded to my query to say the tool was rubbish. His went straight
into the bin.

Can't seem to source one locally where I might be able to asses the
quality so can anyone suggest a good tool they have used.

To be fair I think punching a hole in the material is always going to
be a problem. The fabric tends to stretch unlike leather or vinyl.

Hmm.. I made one.

Drill a suitable hole in steel rod and then grind down the outer edge to
make it cut.

The support is critical. Best might be a lump of solid copper or lead
but end grain Oak might do.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Need to insert some eyelets in a Gazebo canopy we use. Purchased one on eBay
which was a piece of ****e. The punch type cutter wouldn't cut the material
and the eyelets and eyelet washers were like something out of a Christmas
cracker. Light and flimsy.
Spotted an apparently better type of hand punch on Amazon but on enquiring
about the diameter of the eyelet holes a previous customer responded to my
query to say the tool was rubbish. His went straight into the bin.

Can't seem to source one locally where I might be able to asses the quality
so can anyone suggest a good tool they have used.

To be fair I think punching a hole in the material is always going to be a
problem. The fabric tends to stretch unlike leather or vinyl.

Likewise I bough one that was crap. It did work after a bit of sharpening,
but only with an oak block behind the canvas. The eyelets then rusted, it
seems they were "brassed" instead of "brass"

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 21, 2014 11:44:04 AM UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , fred

writes

[...]

But it came with a punch. It just happened to be useless. I did try sharpening it on a grinder but it made no difference. I was backing it up with a piece of oak. The punch just drove the material into the oak. It severed it in several parts but not completely. To work correctly the eyelets need a clean hole. But then the rest of the kit was ****e also. After 4 attempts I just gave up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred scribbled...

Need to insert some eyelets in a Gazebo canopy we use. Purchased one on eBay which was a piece of ****e. The punch type cutter wouldn't cut the material and the eyelets and eyelet washers were like something out of a Christmas cracker. Light and flimsy.
Spotted an apparently better type of hand punch on Amazon but on enquiring about the diameter of the eyelet holes a previous customer responded to my query to say the tool was rubbish. His went straight into the bin.

Can't seem to source one locally where I might be able to asses the quality so can anyone suggest a good tool they have used.

To be fair I think punching a hole in the material is always going to be a problem. The fabric tends to stretch unlike leather or vinyl.

Plenty of "Hollow Hammer Hole punches" on Ebay from £2.00

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred explained :
Need to insert some eyelets in a Gazebo canopy we use. Purchased one on eBay
which was a piece of ****e. The punch type cutter wouldn't cut the material
and the eyelets and eyelet washers were like something out of a Christmas
cracker. Light and flimsy. Spotted an apparently better type of hand punch on
Amazon but on enquiring about the diameter of the eyelet holes a previous
customer responded to my query to say the tool was rubbish. His went straight
into the bin.

Can't seem to source one locally where I might be able to asses the quality
so can anyone suggest a good tool they have used.

To be fair I think punching a hole in the material is always going to be a
problem. The fabric tends to stretch unlike leather or vinyl.

A proper punch needs a matching socket - a female part with a hole to
closely match the male punch.

Rather than brass or 'brass' I have had success with the plastic
eyelets. They come in two parts, and go together with a snap action.

2nd attempt to post to the correct thread :-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 21, 2014 11:52:21 AM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:

[...]

I think everything is now. Broke a brass coathook the other week to find it was really plated monkey metal.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 21, 2014 3:17:24 PM UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
fred explained :

[...]

Yes Harry. I am leaning that way myself. My only concern is being able to cut a neat accurate hole. Not sure how much lee way the plastic ones leave for errors.

As usual the proper tool for the job is available but at too high a price to justify spending for 8 eyelets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How about heating your "punch" and burning/melting a hole?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message

Need to insert some eyelets in a Gazebo canopy we use. Purchased one on
eBay which was a piece of ****e. The punch type cutter wouldn't cut the
material and the eyelets and eyelet washers were like something out of a
Christmas cracker. Light and flimsy.
Spotted an apparently better type of hand punch on Amazon but on enquiring
about the diameter of the eyelet holes a previous customer responded to my
query to say the tool was rubbish. His went straight into the bin.

Can't seem to source one locally where I might be able to asses the quality
so can anyone suggest a good tool they have used.

To be fair I think punching a hole in the material is always going to be a
problem. The fabric tends to stretch unlike leather or vinyl.

These might be of a better quality:
http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/screw...-1001437.bhtml

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 08:24:17 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Likewise I bough one that was crap. It did work after a bit of sharpening,
but only with an oak block behind the canvas. The eyelets then rusted, it
seems they were "brassed" instead of "brass"
Mike

I think everything is now. Broke a brass coathook the other week to
find it was really plated monkey metal.

That's a way of overcoming magnetism giving away that it's no brass.

Brass panel pins from Screwfix can be picked up with a magnet!

I've a little steel tape, small, light and, to be honest, a bit crappy, that
is useful to carry in a pocket. It has a bit of ferrite magnet on it so I
can test stuff.
I've noticed that "brass-plated" and "brassed" are getting rare. It is
misrepresentation to say an item is brass when it's only a coating.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away