Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Copper "Rivet"/Eyelet

_Years_ ago I used to use copper eyelets in PCB's to allow soldering
in larger wire sizes.

Can't remember where I got them.

Any clues?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
_Years_ ago I used to use copper eyelets in PCB's to allow soldering
in larger wire sizes.

Can't remember where I got them.

Any clues?

http://www.eeiinc.com/frcont.htm

I have some somewhere, But Do not know where I got them from, its been a
long time. Maybe International.
There are three sources here http://www.pcbmilling.com/Materials.htm

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Martin Riddle" wrote in message

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in message ...
_Years_ ago I used to use copper eyelets in PCB's to allow soldering
in larger wire sizes.

Can't remember where I got them.

Any clues?

http://www.eeiinc.com/frcont.htm

I have some somewhere, But Do not know where I got them from, its been
a long time. Maybe International.
There are three sources here http://www.pcbmilling.com/Materials.htm

Cheers

Yup, they were from International Eyelets.

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" schreef
in bericht ...
_Years_ ago I used to use copper eyelets in PCB's to allow soldering
in larger wire sizes.

Can't remember where I got them.

Any clues?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

They were widely used at the time but these days even the name has been
forgotten. Nevertheless, they seem to be re-invented for through-hole
plating. A German company Bungard
http://bungard.de/index.php?option=c...1&lang=english
sells them. See Through-hole and then Favorite.

I buy smaller quantities i.e. 1000 pcs at Conrad, a German company that is
also active in the Netherlands.
http://www.conrad.de/ce/
Search for partnumber 551678

They also sell some real impressive tools but I still have the tool with
some of the 3mm eyelets I ever bought. It's only a simple center pin but it
works good enough for the 0.8mm to 1.5mm ones. Did not try the smaller ones
so far.

petrus bitbyter

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

petrus bitbyter wrote:
"Jim schreef
in bericht ...
[...]

They were forgotten for excellent reason--they're very unreliable under
temperature cycling. At high temperature, the board expands more than
the eyelet, and also softens slightly. The board cold-flows a little.
When the temperature drops, the preload on the eyelet is reduced. As
the cycle repeats, the preload on the eyelet keeps dropping until the
copper trace is in tension at low temperature, so it eventually cracks.

Using a big solder blob helps some, but you're much better off using
screw terminals.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Phil Hobbs" schreef in bericht
petrus bitbyter wrote:
"Jim
schreef
in bericht ...
[...]

So one can expect the holes plated by these eyelets might face the same
problem. I'll have to think about that one.

The way the old 3mm ones were used, did not gave the problem. They were put
in perfboard without copper on it. So no traces, only wires in the holes.

Longer ones are used for rivetting. A lot of vintage tube radios have their
tubesockets rivetted on the chassis this way. Faster and cheaper then nuts
and bolds. At the time that is.

petrus bitbyter

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 18:23:22 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

petrus bitbyter wrote:
"Jim schreef
in bericht ...
[...]

Recalling my military stuff... the only complaint was about
inspection... you couldn't check the wetting under the eyelet edge. I
put them on the satellite launcher anyway... 300A isn't going to hack
it in a plated-thru hole :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

petrus bitbyter wrote:
"Phil schreef in bericht
petrus bitbyter wrote:
"Jim
schreef
in bericht ...
[...]

The copper in a PTH is the same thickness as the traces, so the stress
isn't concentrated at the edge. An eyelet is much stronger than the
copper plating, hence the problem.

The way the old 3mm ones were used, did not gave the problem. They were put
in perfboard without copper on it. So no traces, only wires in the holes.

Sure, if there's no stress concentration, there's no problem.

Longer ones are used for rivetting. A lot of vintage tube radios have their
tubesockets rivetted on the chassis this way. Faster and cheaper then nuts
and bolds. At the time that is.

And the nice convenient ground lugs on those tube sockes are famous for
being unreliable. Well constructed gear doesn't use them.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote in message ...
_Years_ ago I used to use copper eyelets in PCB's to allow soldering
in larger wire sizes.

Can't remember where I got them.

Any clues?

http://www.eeiinc.com/frcont.htm

I have some somewhere, But Do not know where I got them from, its been
a long time. Maybe International.
There are three sources here http://www.pcbmilling.com/Materials.htm

Cheers

Yup, they were from International Eyelets.

Cheers

Found them at Mouser...

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=534-34

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 00:15:08 +0200, "petrus bitbyter"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" schreef
in bericht ...
_Years_ ago I used to use copper eyelets in PCB's to allow soldering
in larger wire sizes.

Can't remember where I got them.

Any clues?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

They were widely used at the time but these days even the name has been
forgotten.

USM, United Shoe Machinery.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 12:15:30 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

_Years_ ago I used to use copper eyelets in PCB's to allow soldering
in larger wire sizes.

Can't remember where I got them.

Any clues?

...Jim Thompson

Cat's meow... swage eyelet into FR4 "Vector board", solder... more
durable than the cheap RS stuff.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

_Years_ ago I used to use copper eyelets in PCB's to allow soldering
in larger wire sizes.

Can't remember where I got them.

Any clues?

...Jim Thompson

Cat's meow... swage eyelet into FR4 "Vector board", solder... more
durable than the cheap RS stuff.

...Jim Thompson

I haven't completely followed this thread, but we often use
"Coto Cups" for relays in test fixtures...

steve
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

_Years_ ago I used to use copper eyelets in PCB's to allow soldering
in larger wire sizes.

Can't remember where I got them.

Any clues?

...Jim Thompson

Cat's meow... swage eyelet into FR4 "Vector board", solder... more
durable than the cheap RS stuff.

...Jim Thompson

I haven't completely followed this thread, but we often use
"Coto Cups" for relays in test fixtures...

steve

I got some Keystone size 24 eyelets. (I have the setting pliers left
over from discrete work that I did eons ago :-)

Crimp into board that has no copper or lands, then solder whatever.
Doesn't pull out or peel off.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

_Years_ ago I used to use copper eyelets in PCB's to allow soldering
in larger wire sizes.

Can't remember where I got them.

Any clues?

...Jim Thompson

Cat's meow... swage eyelet into FR4 "Vector board", solder... more
durable than the cheap RS stuff.

...Jim Thompson

---
http://www.keyelco.com/dynamicnav/su...bCategoryID=37

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

_Years_ ago I used to use copper eyelets in PCB's to allow soldering
in larger wire sizes.

Can't remember where I got them.

Any clues?

...Jim Thompson

Cat's meow... swage eyelet into FR4 "Vector board", solder... more
durable than the cheap RS stuff.

...Jim Thompson

---
http://www.keyelco.com/dynamicnav/su...bCategoryID=37

Yep. I don't have that style of staking tool... quite expensive. But
I have a plier left over from GenRad days that does the #24 eyelet to
perfection. Only issue is that its reach is limited to ~1.375", which
suffices for the present G-job :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 13:04:00 -0500, legg wrote:

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 09:12:35 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 11:02:17 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

snip
http://www.keyelco.com/dynamicnav/su...bCategoryID=37

Yep. I don't have that style of staking tool... quite expensive. But
I have a plier left over from GenRad days that does the #24 eyelet to
perfection. Only issue is that its reach is limited to ~1.375", which
suffices for the present G-job :-)

...Jim Thompson

You're sure it wasn't from the old Tandy 'leather craft' days?

That might be the source, but a 0.0625" OD (0.045" ID) eyelet is not
very useful in leather. I do have setting tools for eyelets up to
1/2" for tarps, and various sewing projects that my wife does.

This is a Sargent brand plier that definitely came from my lab at
GenRad (Phoenix). When they abruptly shut the doors I asked, and
received permission, to take anything not worth packing up and
shipping to Concord ;-)

A G-job....requiring a G-man?

RL

"G-job" is American slang for a personal build using company stuff. I
have no idea of its origin.

"G-man" has various connotations, various government law enforcement
agents, or G. Gordon Liddy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._Gordon_Liddy

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 10:21:52 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

"G-job" is American slang for a personal build using company stuff. I
have no idea of its origin.

"Government Job". When working on a government contract lots of stuff
"used for prototyping" got built and carried home in a briefcase "for
study".

Jim
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

"G-job" is American slang for a personal build using company stuff. I
have no idea of its origin.

"Government Job". When working on a government contract lots of stuff
"used for prototyping" got built and carried home in a briefcase "for
study".

Jim

According to one reference it was from wartime when there might be
secret projects that the supervisor was not directly aware of, so
saying it was a "Government Job" (when it was actually a personal
project) was a way of telling him to get lost.