Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Asbestos Garage

Any ideas on likely cost of removing and disposing of an asbestos garage
single width - double length.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I've been quoted anywhere between 1 and 2 thousand quid, but that is of
course due to the regulations on bagging each sheet and the bunny suits the
men need to wear for elf and safety.
I'm not sure what to do at the moment as it seems to me that they can
charge whatever they like and the ones that want most claim the cheaper ones
might dump the sheets illegally leaving me open to prosecution. I'm sure
there is some kind of certificate I really ought to ask them about, but I've
not found what it is yet.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.236...
Any ideas on likely cost of removing and disposing of an asbestos garage
single width - double length.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 14, 2014 5:46:10 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

Any ideas on likely cost of removing and disposing of an asbestos garage
single width - double length.

Cost of plastic bags, cost of a trip or 3 to the tip, cost of an assistant, cost of breathing masks, and maybe cost of paper suits... not much.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2014 17:46, DerbyBorn wrote:
Any ideas on likely cost of removing and disposing of an asbestos garage
single width - double length.

our local tip accepts asbestos waste if it's double bagged and not being
disposed of by an asbestos removal business, which requires a licence
and is strictly controlled.
I recently removed a large asbestos garage piece by piece, broke the
roof sheets and wall sheets into small pieces max 1 sq ft and double
bagged it and took to local disposal site.Took about two weeks altogether.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Any ideas on likely cost of removing and disposing of an asbestos garage
single width - double length.

My son's just done this. He removed and bagged the panels and the
council took them away free. Then he cut the steel frame up and gave it
to a gypsy.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I took my own asbestos garage roof off about five years ago (standard single garage) and took it to the local tip who were able to accept it. They wanted me to double wrap it in quite thick plastic sheet and charged me about £50 to take it.

I reckon your garage might have 8 times as much area of asbestos so for a DIY job you'd be looking at about £400 for the tip and probably another £100 for the plastic sheeting. To get someone to do it I hate to think of the cost.

I was told it ended up being dumped down a local disused mine shaft.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2014 19:56, critcher wrote:
On 14/07/2014 17:46, DerbyBorn wrote:
Any ideas on likely cost of removing and disposing of an asbestos garage
single width - double length.

our local tip accepts asbestos waste if it's double bagged and not being
disposed of by an asbestos removal business, which requires a licence
and is strictly controlled.
I recently removed a large asbestos garage piece by piece, broke the
roof sheets and wall sheets into small pieces max 1 sq ft and double
bagged it and took to local disposal site.Took about two weeks altogether.

Breaking roof sheets, why? That would be the last thing I would want to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.236...
Any ideas on likely cost of removing and disposing of an asbestos garage
single width - double length.

Do it yourself, almost all tips now accept asbestos waste provided it's
double bagged and taped, although in reality, they didn't check a single
parcel that I dropped in there and most of those already in the container
were very poorly wrapped.

I used a 20m X 6m roll of polythene from B&Q, 5 rolls of brown parcel tape
and about a gallon of petrol, took me 2 and half days, although most of this
time was actually spent geting rid of the wood and bagging up the asbestos.

I used a Ciroen Picasso to make half a dozen trips to the dump, garage was
14ft wide and 22ft long

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Murmansk" wrote in message
I took my own asbestos garage roof off about five years ago (standard single
garage) and took it to the local tip who were able to accept it. They wanted
me to double wrap it in quite thick plastic sheet and charged me about £50
to take it.

I reckon your garage might have 8 times as much area of asbestos so for a
DIY job you'd be looking at about £400 for the tip and probably another £100
for the plastic sheeting. To get someone to do it I hate to think of the
cost.

I was told it ended up being dumped down a local disused mine shaft.

You were ripped off.

All tips around this end of the country accept all kinds of waste free of
charge, including asbestos, provided it's not trade waste

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2014 20:06, Fredxxx wrote:
On 14/07/2014 19:56, critcher wrote:
On 14/07/2014 17:46, DerbyBorn wrote:
Any ideas on likely cost of removing and disposing of an asbestos garage
single width - double length.

our local tip accepts asbestos waste if it's double bagged and not being
disposed of by an asbestos removal business, which requires a licence
and is strictly controlled.
I recently removed a large asbestos garage piece by piece, broke the
roof sheets and wall sheets into small pieces max 1 sq ft and double
bagged it and took to local disposal site.Took about two weeks
altogether.

Breaking roof sheets, why? That would be the last thing I would want to
do.

to fit in the back of my car, and they were covered in moss etc and fragile

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in
:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.236...
Any ideas on likely cost of removing and disposing of an asbestos
garage single width - double length.

Do it yourself, almost all tips now accept asbestos waste provided
it's double bagged and taped, although in reality, they didn't check a
single parcel that I dropped in there and most of those already in the
container were very poorly wrapped.

I used a 20m X 6m roll of polythene from B&Q, 5 rolls of brown parcel
tape and about a gallon of petrol, took me 2 and half days, although
most of this time was actually spent geting rid of the wood and
bagging up the asbestos.

I used a Ciroen Picasso to make half a dozen trips to the dump, garage
was 14ft wide and 22ft long

What precautions did you take (personal and environmental) to assure
neigbours it was safe?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
Breaking roof sheets, why? That would be the last thing I would want to
do.

The roof sheets on the one i demolished were 2ft by 6ft.
The side panels were 6ft by 4ft.

All of them needed to be wrapped in plastic, taped, then wrapped and taped
again and fit in an average sized family car.

They all got smashed into manageable pieces (whilst wetted down of course,
and with a standard dustmask on)

Final job was to wet everything down and sweep up, scrape everything into
the last bag, add the dustmask, tape up and take everything to the tip

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
What precautions did you take (personal and environmental) to assure
neigbours it was safe?

They got the same treatment as they would have recieved from an approved
asbestos removal company, IE none.

I wore a standard mask, obviously gloves and kept things damp.

90% of the sheets come off in one piece but they need to be broken, just as
they would if anyone else, registered or otherwise took it down.

When breaking them up, I laid each one flat on a wetted down garage floor,
covered with a wet dustsheet and give it a good hiding with a claw hammer in
a straight line, the manageable pieces were then wrapped, taped and stacked
ready to go in the car

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2014 20:29, Phil L wrote:
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
What precautions did you take (personal and environmental) to assure
neigbours it was safe?

They got the same treatment as they would have recieved from an approved
asbestos removal company, IE none.

I wore a standard mask, obviously gloves and kept things damp.

90% of the sheets come off in one piece but they need to be broken, just as
they would if anyone else, registered or otherwise took it down.

When breaking them up, I laid each one flat on a wetted down garage floor,
covered with a wet dustsheet and give it a good hiding with a claw hammer in
a straight line, the manageable pieces were then wrapped, taped and stacked
ready to go in the car

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. It's only for the much higher risk
insulation found on old industrial ducts and boilers where a contractor
will be expected to "tent" with scaffolding and poly sheet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound presented the following explanation :
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
[...]

Having called such 'experts' out in the past - I am well aware they do
like to make an OTT meal of it. One 2x2 foot asbestos cement panel,
entire building shut down for the day, poly sheeted from panel, all the
way out into the street to the van full white suites and breathing
apparatus for the four removal guys and negative pressure. Very amusing
to watch, but awfully expensive lol

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.236...
Any ideas on likely cost of removing and disposing of an asbestos garage
single width - double length.

Nothing if you DIY. Apart from a few bags and petrol.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/a14.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh diy, is that still allowed?
The person I last spoke to suggested that a mist system should be running
and site cleansing needed to be done for dust and other fragments.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message
On Monday, July 14, 2014 5:46:10 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

Any ideas on likely cost of removing and disposing of an asbestos garage
single width - double length.

Cost of plastic bags, cost of a trip or 3 to the tip, cost of an
assistant, cost of breathing masks, and maybe cost of paper suits... not
much.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I have some of the flat stuff from the doors all broken already by the
winds earlier this yearDust and fibres everywhere, what a nightmare. Having
said all of that though, if all you do in your life is take one garage down,
you are unlikely to inhale enough to cause issues.
The asbestos cement uses very small fibres indeed and as they are in
cement, its often larger an not so dangerous in the lungs.

I'd not want to intentionally break them though, as the mess left behind to
clean up would not be trivial.
I am going to have to get people to do it, as I am blind, so the trick will
be how to do it without getting fleeced or hit with huge bills for
disposal.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 14/07/2014 19:56, critcher wrote:
On 14/07/2014 17:46, DerbyBorn wrote:
Any ideas on likely cost of removing and disposing of an asbestos garage
single width - double length.

our local tip accepts asbestos waste if it's double bagged and not being
disposed of by an asbestos removal business, which requires a licence
and is strictly controlled.
I recently removed a large asbestos garage piece by piece, broke the
roof sheets and wall sheets into small pieces max 1 sq ft and double
bagged it and took to local disposal site.Took about two weeks
altogether.

Breaking roof sheets, why? That would be the last thing I would want to
do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, it seems to depend on who you speak to. I'd say mask and overalls only
used for that, and doing it in the rain helps.
I'd do it myself if i still had eyesight, but there you are, the costs of
disability strike again.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
"Phil L" wrote in
:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.236...
Any ideas on likely cost of removing and disposing of an asbestos
garage single width - double length.

Do it yourself, almost all tips now accept asbestos waste provided
it's double bagged and taped, although in reality, they didn't check a
single parcel that I dropped in there and most of those already in the
container were very poorly wrapped.

I used a 20m X 6m roll of polythene from B&Q, 5 rolls of brown parcel
tape and about a gallon of petrol, took me 2 and half days, although
most of this time was actually spent geting rid of the wood and
bagging up the asbestos.

I used a Ciroen Picasso to make half a dozen trips to the dump, garage
was 14ft wide and 22ft long

What precautions did you take (personal and environmental) to assure
neigbours it was safe?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm told me not to break them if at all possible, so what is the truth here,
is it different folk make it up as they go along and according to how much
they think they can screw you for?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Phil L" wrote in message

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
What precautions did you take (personal and environmental) to assure
neigbours it was safe?

They got the same treatment as they would have recieved from an approved
asbestos removal company, IE none.

I wore a standard mask, obviously gloves and kept things damp.

90% of the sheets come off in one piece but they need to be broken, just
as they would if anyone else, registered or otherwise took it down.

When breaking them up, I laid each one flat on a wetted down garage floor,
covered with a wet dustsheet and give it a good hiding with a claw hammer
in a straight line, the manageable pieces were then wrapped, taped and
stacked ready to go in the car

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Hmm told me not to break them if at all possible, so what is the truth here,
is it different folk make it up as they go along and according to how much
they think they can screw you for?

This.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/14 08:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
Hmm told me not to break them if at all possible, so what is the truth here,
is it different folk make it up as they go along and according to how much
they think they can screw you for?

Can you get "asbestos only" skips delivered (covered type)?

Reason: If that means the structure could be hosed down inside and out,
and dismantled with bolt croppers to cut the rusty bolts - the panels
could simply be carefully laid in the skip, whole, with minimal handling.

The blokes would need dustmasks and disposable paper suits and neither
should be seeing much action if everything is wet.

The contamination of the ground and the air should be very minimal -
scrape off 2" topsoil to be sure. Then you'd be down to "natural levels"
pretty much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
[...]

Yes indeed; there are contractors and contractors. To be "fair", I guess
it is an expensive business setting up such an operation. So when you
have a customer who is ignorant and scared there is probably a
temptation to milk it. They are less likely to get away with that on
(say) a power station where there are engineers and occupational health
experts who understand the problem better.

Economists call it price discrimination!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 15/07/14 08:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
Hmm told me not to break them if at all possible, so what is the truth here,
is it different folk make it up as they go along and according to how much
they think they can screw you for?

Can you get "asbestos only" skips delivered (covered type)?

Reason: If that means the structure could be hosed down inside and out,
and dismantled with bolt croppers to cut the rusty bolts - the panels
could simply be carefully laid in the skip, whole, with minimal handling.

The blokes would need dustmasks and disposable paper suits and neither
should be seeing much action if everything is wet.

The contamination of the ground and the air should be very minimal -
scrape off 2" topsoil to be sure. Then you'd be down to "natural
levels" pretty much.

I re-roofed a 100' x 45' agricultural barn about 15 years ago so not
really current.

At that time the site had to be registered with the EA and licensed for
the particular waste activity. Cost, a few pounds.

Open top skip. Waste handling notes exchanged and skip taken to a
commercial site permitted to bury asbestos waste a few miles away.

Overall disposal cost about 800 pounds.

Brian has several problems: residential site and presumed neighbours.
Unable to undertake the work himself. Any contractor is forced to apply
stringent rules to protect himself from employee litigation and minimise
insurance costs. Hence the rip-off nature of the activity:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Asbestos garage - who to dispose? larkim UK diy 62 March 9th 10 07:25 PM
Clearing an asbestos garage [email protected] UK diy 11 August 5th 07 07:37 AM
Asbestos in Garage Roof - How to dispose of Mitch UK diy 9 August 13th 06 06:26 PM
asbestos garage pacer UK diy 9 August 20th 05 12:05 AM
Asbestos garage MGA UK diy 9 July 31st 03 12:36 PM