Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clearing an asbestos garage

Hi

We've got an old (!) garage, which I believe is constructed from
asbestos cement corrugated roof and asbestos cement tiles for the
walls, held in place by a wooden frame.

I'd like to demolish it and replace with a more modern (and less
toxic) structure. Can I take it apart piecemeal, double-bag it and
take it to the tip, or even arrange for a skip? Or am I more likely
to have to pay for men in white suits to come and take it away?

Any advice from others who have dealt with similar situations
gratefully received.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:06:54 -0000, wrote:

I'd like to demolish it and replace with a more modern (and less
toxic) structure. Can I take it apart piecemeal, double-bag it and
take it to the tip,

Yes, look up your local councils web site for their procedure for
taking it to a tip. Some of the more enlightened councils offer a
collection service.

http://www.contact.manchester.gov.uk...6B&Tree=Closed
has some fairly comprehensive instructions,

http://www.chester.gov.uk/main.asp?page=870 is another version. All
are basically the same.

or even arrange for a skip?

No. Unless you double bag it first, have the skip on your property,
use a licensed firm to transport it (not many skip hire companies
are) and pay for its disposal.

Or am I more likely
to have to pay for men in white suits to come and take it away?

No.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jul, 15:26, Peter Parry wrote:

http://www.chester.gov.uk/main.asp?page=870is another version. All
are basically the same.

That's a brilliant link, thanks - I actually live just halfway between
Chester and Manchester, so your links are spot on for me.

Many thanks.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jul, 15:06, wrote:
Hi

We've got an old (!) garage, which I believe is constructed from
asbestos cement corrugated roof and asbestos cement tiles for the
walls, held in place by a wooden frame.

I'd like to demolish it and replace with a more modern (and less
toxic) structure. Can I take it apart piecemeal, double-bag it and
take it to the tip, or even arrange for a skip? Or am I more likely
to have to pay for men in white suits to come and take it away?

Any advice from others who have dealt with similar situations
gratefully received.

Matt

The intact sheest are not dangerous, its the fibres that come off them
that get stuck in your lungs. The issue is the size and sharpness of
the fibres, the big ones are OK as is the dust, aspestos does have
agood few of the nasty size ones.

I'd take reasonable precations when I did this job (like a really good
face mask), and make sure you don't get any on the neighbours property.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 31 Jul, 15:06, wrote:
[...]

Bit daft ain't it. We get all fussy about the actual disposal - yet the
dis-assembly could pollute the neighbourhood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes

The intact sheest are not dangerous, its the fibres that come off them
that get stuck in your lungs. The issue is the size and sharpness of
the fibres, the big ones are OK as is the dust, aspestos does have
agood few of the nasty size ones.

I'd take reasonable precations when I did this job (like a really good
face mask), and make sure you don't get any on the neighbours property.

Bit daft ain't it. We get all fussy about the actual disposal - yet the
dis-assembly could pollute the neighbourhood.

Evacuate everyone in a 10 mile radius ?

That's half of north Wales I've polluted then ...

.... and Birmingham

no great loss then

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:07:45 -0700, wrote:

... On 31 Jul, 15:26, Peter Parry wrote:
http://www.chester.gov.uk/main.asp?page=870is another version. All
... are basically the same.
... That's a brilliant link, thanks - I actually live just halfway between
... Chester and Manchester, so your links are spot on for me.
... Many thanks.
... Matt

I have moved into a house that has one of these garage roofs. The
water from it runs into a guttering and then into a water tub. There
must be a nice soup in the bottom of tht tub !

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , John
writes

The intact sheest are not dangerous, its the fibres that come off them
that get stuck in your lungs. The issue is the size and sharpness of
the fibres, the big ones are OK as is the dust, aspestos does have
agood few of the nasty size ones.

I'd take reasonable precations when I did this job (like a really good
face mask), and make sure you don't get any on the neighbours property.

Bit daft ain't it. We get all fussy about the actual disposal - yet the
dis-assembly could pollute the neighbourhood.

Evacuate everyone in a 10 mile radius ?

That's half of north Wales I've polluted then ...

... and Birmingham

no great loss then

*If* there are asbestos fibres leaking you have to contain them during
demolition.
If you don't you could end up with a court case and imprisonment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes
I'd take reasonable precations when I did this job (like a really good
face mask), and make sure you don't get any on the neighbours property.

Bit daft ain't it. We get all fussy about the actual disposal - yet the
dis-assembly could pollute the neighbourhood.

Evacuate everyone in a 10 mile radius ?

That's half of north Wales I've polluted then ...

... and Birmingham

no great loss then

*If* there are asbestos fibres leaking you have to contain them during
demolition.
If you don't you could end up with a court case and imprisonment.

Who's talking about demolition ?

This was during construction

court case ? don't make me laugh

silly bugger

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:07:45 -0700, wrote:

.. On 31 Jul, 15:26, Peter Parry wrote:
..
..
http://www.chester.gov.uk/main.asp?page=870is another version.
All .. are basically the same.
..
..
.. That's a brilliant link, thanks - I actually live just halfway
between .. Chester and Manchester, so your links are spot on for me.
..
.. Many thanks.
..
.. Matt
..

I have moved into a house that has one of these garage roofs. The
water from it runs into a guttering and then into a water tub. There
must be a nice soup in the bottom of tht tub !

Mike P

Which is totally harmless in the state that it is in. Leave it at the
bottom, put your watering can in the butt and use the beneficial guano
essence on your garden!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:31:13 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message , John
writes

The intact sheest are not dangerous, its the fibres that come off them
that get stuck in your lungs. The issue is the size and sharpness of
the fibres, the big ones are OK as is the dust, aspestos does have
agood few of the nasty size ones.

I'd take reasonable precations when I did this job (like a really good
face mask), and make sure you don't get any on the neighbours property.

Bit daft ain't it. We get all fussy about the actual disposal - yet the
dis-assembly could pollute the neighbourhood.

Evacuate everyone in a 10 mile radius ?

That's half of north Wales I've polluted then ...

... and Birmingham

no great loss then

*If* there are asbestos fibres leaking you have to contain them during
demolition.
If you don't you could end up with a court case and imprisonment.

Can you point to any examples of either?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

At our local council tip you are only allowed to take in 4 sheets
worth per day ???

I had got a garages worths on my trailer, and I found out the hard
way.

I had to man handle these sheets, some broken, into a dusty old
enclosed steel shipping container, council guys would not help me (I
wonder why).

It took me all week to get rid of them. So much for helping the
environment, what a waste of my petrol and time.

Replacing asbestos garage roof Roly UK diy 15 January 4th 07 12:07 AM
Asbestos in Garage Roof - How to dispose of Mitch UK diy 9 August 13th 06 06:26 PM
Garage Roof - Cement or Asbestos [email protected] UK diy 14 March 17th 06 01:57 PM
asbestos garage pacer UK diy 9 August 20th 05 12:05 AM
Asbestos garage MGA UK diy 9 July 31st 03 12:36 PM