Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fluorescent water dye

Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to
the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels
normally used. I'm wondering what effect they would have on birds if
mixed in with their seed on the bird table.

Reason being that I'm fed up with white streaks on my windows, the local
birds seem particularly adept at pooping accurately onto the glass as
they fly over, so at least mixing a bit of colour into their food would
make the streaks a bit prettier. Failing that maybe an assortment of
food dyes could be used?

If nothing else it would confuse the heck out of my neighbours :-)
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2014 13:58, Bill wrote:
Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to
the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels
normally used. I'm wondering what effect they would have on birds if
mixed in with their seed on the bird table.

Reason being that I'm fed up with white streaks on my windows, the local
birds seem particularly adept at pooping accurately onto the glass as
they fly over, so at least mixing a bit of colour into their food would
make the streaks a bit prettier. Failing that maybe an assortment of
food dyes could be used?

If nothing else it would confuse the heck out of my neighbours :-)

I doubt you'd see the difference, unless it works the way that human
p155 turns pink after too many beetroot.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill scribbled...

Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to
the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels
normally used. I'm wondering what effect they would have on birds if
mixed in with their seed on the bird table.

Reason being that I'm fed up with white streaks on my windows, the local
birds seem particularly adept at pooping accurately onto the glass as
they fly over, so at least mixing a bit of colour into their food would
make the streaks a bit prettier. Failing that maybe an assortment of
food dyes could be used?

If nothing else it would confuse the heck out of my neighbours :-)

Try not feeding them, they won't have a reason to hang around your
house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
Bill scribbled...

Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to
the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels
normally used. I'm wondering what effect they would have on birds if
mixed in with their seed on the bird table.

Reason being that I'm fed up with white streaks on my windows, the local
birds seem particularly adept at pooping accurately onto the glass as
they fly over, so at least mixing a bit of colour into their food would
make the streaks a bit prettier. Failing that maybe an assortment of
food dyes could be used?

If nothing else it would confuse the heck out of my neighbours :-)

Try not feeding them, they won't have a reason to hang around your
house.

The main problem is caused by a couple of nests in the roof, they appear
to poo just as they come in to land at the nest, hence the poo hitting
the wall and windows.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/28/2014 10:22 AM, John Williamson wrote:
On 28/06/2014 13:58, Bill wrote:
Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to
the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels
normally used. I'm wondering what effect they would have on birds if
mixed in with their seed on the bird table.

Reason being that I'm fed up with white streaks on my windows, the local
birds seem particularly adept at pooping accurately onto the glass as
they fly over, so at least mixing a bit of colour into their food would
make the streaks a bit prettier. Failing that maybe an assortment of
food dyes could be used?

If nothing else it would confuse the heck out of my neighbours :-)

I doubt you'd see the difference, unless it works the way that human
p155 turns pink after too many beetroot.

Our neighbours had a mulberry tree. We had a white garage and a white
van...striped with purple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 16:04:19 +0100, Bill
wrote:

The main problem is caused by a couple of nests in the roof, they appear
to poo just as they come in to land at the nest, hence the poo hitting
the wall and windows.

If that's the main problem it will solve itself in a week or so as the
young birds fledge, leave the nests and get fed and poo elsewhere.

Very true, I did want to see the neighbours reaction to fluorescent poo
though :-)
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The main problem is caused by a couple of nests in the roof, they appear
to poo just as they come in to land at the nest, hence the poo hitting
the wall and windows.

If that's the main problem it will solve itself in a week or so as the
young birds fledge, leave the nests and get fed and poo elsewhere.

Very true, I did want to see the neighbours reaction to fluorescent poo
though :-)

I'd want to use glow-in-the-dark substances, or luciferin bacteria...

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2014 13:58, Bill wrote:
Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to
the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels
normally used.

If you're thinking about fluorescein, reactions in people include
"sudden death".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescein#Safety

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2014 12:39, Reentrant wrote:
On 28/06/2014 13:58, Bill wrote:
Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to
the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels
normally used.

If you're thinking about fluorescein, reactions in people include
"sudden death".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescein#Safety

I always think that is a rather extreme reaction, can they not stop
short of that?

Like medicines where death is a side-effect.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Reentrant writes
On 28/06/2014 13:58, Bill wrote:
Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to
the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels
normally used.

If you're thinking about fluorescein, reactions in people include
"sudden death".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescein#Safety

I wasn't planning on giving it to them intravenously :-)

I certainly don't fancy the tests that they suggest either!!

"A simple prick test may help to identify persons at greatest risk of
adverse reaction"

How do you explain that to your wife?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes
On 28/06/2014 13:58, Bill wrote:
Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to
the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels
normally used.

If you're thinking about fluorescein, reactions in people include
"sudden death".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescein#Safety

I always think that is a rather extreme reaction, can they not stop
short of that?

Like medicines where death is a side-effect.

A friend of mine has just been diagnosed with something terminal and
nasty. The medics have ruled out all 3 of the possible treatments as
they would kill him sooner, not good :-(

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2014 13:58, Bill wrote:

Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to
the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels
normally used. I'm wondering what effect they would have on birds if
mixed in with their seed on the bird table.

Reason being that I'm fed up with white streaks on my windows, the local
birds seem particularly adept at pooping accurately onto the glass as
they fly over, so at least mixing a bit of colour into their food would
make the streaks a bit prettier. Failing that maybe an assortment of
food dyes could be used?

If nothing else it would confuse the heck out of my neighbours :-)

It is almost the soft fruit season for pink and purple bird poo. YMMV

Be aware that at strong colourations the fluorescent water dye
fluoroscein like its analogue phenolphthalein is a laxative.

You may live to regret wanting highly coloured designer bird poo. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescein

Sodium fluoroscein is astonishingly easily detected at insanely high
dilutions which is why it is used for tracing water courses.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 28 June 2014 13:58:45 UTC+1, Bill wrote:
Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to

the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels

normally used. I'm wondering what effect they would have on birds if

mixed in with their seed on the bird table.

Reason being that I'm fed up with white streaks on my windows, the local

birds seem particularly adept at pooping accurately onto the glass as

they fly over, so at least mixing a bit of colour into their food would

make the streaks a bit prettier. Failing that maybe an assortment of

food dyes could be used?

If nothing else it would confuse the heck out of my neighbours :-)

--

Bill

Coloured additives to bird food will not change the white deposits. The white that birds excrete is calcium, which is removed by their kidneys to prevent their bones becoming more dense, and therefore heavier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2014 22:15, Mr Fuxit wrote:
On Saturday, 28 June 2014 13:58:45 UTC+1, Bill wrote:

Reason being that I'm fed up with white streaks on my windows, the local
birds seem particularly adept at pooping accurately onto the glass as
they fly over, so at least mixing a bit of colour into their food would
make the streaks a bit prettier. Failing that maybe an assortment of
food dyes could be used?

Coloured additives to bird food will not change the white deposits.

Tell that to the elderberries and blackberries.

The white that birds excrete is calcium, which is removed by their kidneys to prevent their bones becoming more dense, and therefore heavier.

Absolute rot. It is mostly uric acid that gives it the white colour:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/expert.../bird_poo.aspx

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2014 11:36, Martin Brown wrote:
On 29/06/2014 22:15, Mr Fuxit wrote:
On Saturday, 28 June 2014 13:58:45 UTC+1, Bill wrote:

Reason being that I'm fed up with white streaks on my windows, the local
birds seem particularly adept at pooping accurately onto the glass as
they fly over, so at least mixing a bit of colour into their food would
make the streaks a bit prettier. Failing that maybe an assortment of
food dyes could be used?

Coloured additives to bird food will not change the white deposits.

Tell that to the elderberries and blackberries.

The white that birds excrete is calcium, which is removed by their
kidneys to prevent their bones becoming more dense, and therefore
heavier.

Absolute rot. It is mostly uric acid that gives it the white colour:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/expert.../bird_poo.aspx

What comes out of the bird is in fact a mixture of their equivalent of
urine and sh1t, both coming out of the same hole.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2014 13:58, Bill wrote:
Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to
the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels
normally used.

If you're thinking about fluorescein, reactions in people include
"sudden death".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescein#Safety

I always think that is a rather extreme reaction, can they not stop
short of that?

Like medicines where death is a side-effect.

The reality is that almost without exception, medicines are poisons
where the side effect is medicinal when administered in sub lethal
doses.
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2014 13:58, Bill wrote:
Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According
the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels
normally used.
If you're thinking about fluorescein, reactions in people include
"sudden death".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescein#Safety

I always think that is a rather extreme reaction, can they not stop
short of that?

Like medicines where death is a side-effect.

The reality is that almost without exception, medicines are poisons
where the side effect is medicinal when administered in sub lethal
doses.

You can say the same thing about water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2014 13:58, Bill wrote:
Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to
the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels
normally used.
If you're thinking about fluorescein, reactions in people include
"sudden death".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescein#Safety

I always think that is a rather extreme reaction, can they not stop
short of that?

Like medicines where death is a side-effect.

The reality is that almost without exception, medicines are poisons
where the side effect is medicinal when administered in sub lethal
doses.

40 pints of water drunk as fast as your system permits will also kill you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, June 28, 2014 3:25:30 PM UTC+1, Jabba wrote:
Bill scribbled...

Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to

the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels

normally used. I'm wondering what effect they would have on birds if

mixed in with their seed on the bird table.

Reason being that I'm fed up with white streaks on my windows, the local

birds seem particularly adept at pooping accurately onto the glass as

they fly over, so at least mixing a bit of colour into their food would

make the streaks a bit prettier. Failing that maybe an assortment of

food dyes could be used?

If nothing else it would confuse the heck out of my neighbours :-)

Try not feeding them, they won't have a reason to hang around your

house.

Echos my thoughts. Why feed them this time of the year. You may be only encouraging them.

Alternatively lace the bird seed with Roundup. That'll sort the litle *******s out.

Sh***ing on the window is bad enough but the bird population round here appear to be very short sighted. They keep flying into the windows which either knocks them out or kills them or both if there are cats around

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 09:33:07 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

On 28/06/2014 13:58, Bill wrote:
Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According
the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels
normally used.
If you're thinking about fluorescein, reactions in people include
"sudden death".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescein#Safety

I always think that is a rather extreme reaction, can they not stop
short of that?

Like medicines where death is a side-effect.

The reality is that almost without exception, medicines are poisons
where the side effect is medicinal when administered in sub lethal
doses.

You can say the same thing about water.

And Nitrogen too!
--