Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rated people for tradesmen

I wonder if anyone has used Rated People to find a tradesman. I am
looking for a good plasterer to board over both sides of a two part
glazed partition and apply plaster so as to blend in with the
surrounding wall.

The plasterer I have used in the past was excellent on the first job
but not so good on the second so I am now looking for someone new.

Having had a look at the Rated People site it looks as though you fill
in some background info and they get three people to submit quotes,
but there does not seem to be a system of ensuring that a customer
receives only the highest rated available tradesman.

Has anyone used any alternative sites?
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/27/2014 09:21 PM, rbel wrote:

I wonder if anyone has used Rated People to find a tradesman. I am
looking for a good plasterer to board over both sides of a two part
glazed partition and apply plaster so as to blend in with the
surrounding wall.

The plasterer I have used in the past was excellent on the first job
but not so good on the second so I am now looking for someone new.

Having had a look at the Rated People site it looks as though you fill
in some background info and they get three people to submit quotes,
but there does not seem to be a system of ensuring that a customer
receives only the highest rated available tradesman.

Has anyone used any alternative sites?

I've just used Checkatrade for a scaffold company and they were
excellent as described. Also had a gas-hob fitted by one of their guys a
few months ago and he was OK too. The builder who took my chimney down
though, was recommended by a neighbour, which I prefer really.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've used Check a Trade with considerable success. I wouldn't definitely
decide to employ someone based on the site, but it's a very useful way of
building up a shortlist.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bert
Coules writes
I've used Check a Trade with considerable success. I wouldn't
definitely decide to employ someone based on the site, but it's a very
useful way of building up a shortlist.

Bert

Http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ebsite-claims-
banish-cowboy-workmen.html

" I have no doubt there are many fine tradesmen on the site; I have
spoken to people whove had good experiences with Checkatrade.

However, I began to wonder where the less-than-glowing reviews were;
even just the average ones. It was then I looked further into how
Checkatrade operates. Workmen pay more than £800 to feature on the
website.

€˜Members, as they call them, are interviewed before they are
accepted, they are required to hold current public liability insurance
and the correct qualifications for their trade. Checkatrade also checks
ID and takes five references from previous customers.

Once on Checkatrade, a workman is issued with feedback forms to hand out
to customers. The forms ask customers to rate the worker on different
criteria on a scale of one to ten. The scores are collated and an
average given. In theory, customer comments are published straight after
each job.

But I discovered that only applies to the positive ones, as
Checka-trade makes it very difficult to post negative comments. In fact,
the complaints procedure appears weighted in favour of the trades. "

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 14:51:37 +0100, Bill wrote:

In message , Bert
Coules writes
[...]

Many thanks for the comments - I will have a look at Checkatrade.
--
rbel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 22:05:52 +0100, rbel wrote:

Many thanks for the comments - I will have a look at Checkatrade.

It looks as though the south-west does not feature strongly in the
Checkatrade listings. I put in plasterer within 30 miles radius of
Torquay and there were no listings - without the 30 miles there was
one recommendation in Somerset and the rest were in Hampshire or
further afield. Just tried again with joiner and that produced 2 local
recommendations.

I will use google to look for similar services.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill writes:
In message , Bert
Coules writes
[...]

The trouble with scemes like this is who funds them?
If you aren't paying for the service, it's probably being paid
for by a vested interest, which makes impartiality challenging
for a company which is looking to grow and be profitable. That's
not to say it's impossible, but you need to vet the recommendation
just as much as the company you pick from them.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/14 09:16, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The trouble with scemes like this is who funds them?

Good question...

If you aren't paying for the service, it's probably being paid
for by a vested interest, which makes impartiality challenging
for a company which is looking to grow and be profitable. That's
not to say it's impossible, but you need to vet the recommendation
just as much as the company you pick from them.

Tripadvisor has become the defacto go-to place for hotels, restaurants
and things to do.

But they are probably funded by referral kickbacks when someone books a
hotel or flight through them. Everything else can ride on that.

And they seem very good at maintaining editorial control - eg you do not
get the same place submitted 3 times under slightly different names - as
was so common on some of the product review sites.

Amazon is my "go to" place for product reviews - but then they sell the
products!

So - "Tradeadvisor" - how could it be funded, and yet make it open to
review any trade and not just paid up members? Advertising?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Tripadvisor has become the defacto go-to place for hotels, restaurants
and things to do.

Yet a search for "tripadvisor" AND "fake" shows they're no more immune
to problems than the next review site

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/14 10:41, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

Tripadvisor has become the defacto go-to place for hotels, restaurants
and things to do.

Yet a search for "tripadvisor" AND "fake" shows they're no more immune
to problems than the next review site

Exactly. But because they carry such a large number of reviews for any
given place, fakes are usually obvious - eg if you get a load of 5 stars
but there are also many 1-2 stars then the 5 stars are probably fake.
Plus you'd have to register a lot of accounts to put in many fake
positive reviews without being trivially spotted.

Despite all that it is still the most useful site of its type that has
ever been in existance, so I think it's safe to say "good enough".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/14 10:55, Jethro_uk wrote:

The only tradesmen we have ever used happily have been personally
recommended by friends and family. Sadly they've all retired, or moved
into other businesses.

I had a personally recommended one who turned out to be a corner cutting
numpty. He used to do good work, but buggered several things up for me.
Funnily enough he then buggered a later job up for the recommender.

So nothing is bombproof.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Tripadvisor has become the defacto go-to place for hotels, restaurants

and things to do.

Yet a search for "tripadvisor" AND "fake" shows they're no more immune

to problems than the next review site

Exactly. But because they carry such a large number of reviews for any

given place, fakes are usually obvious - eg if you get a load of 5 stars

but there are also many 1-2 stars then the 5 stars are probably fake.

Plus you'd have to register a lot of accounts to put in many fake

positive reviews without being trivially spotted.

Despite all that it is still the most useful site of its type that has

ever been in existance, so I think it's safe to say "good enough".

Think Andrew had it with got to review the reviews...

Went to a recently opened chain pub food place, reviews on Trip Advisor , strangely polarised, quite a few 4 and 5 star reviews but a large number of 1 stars.

Unusual for somewhere to get a lot of 1 stars, generally unhappy people seem to leave 2 or 3 and a long complaint.

Further reading including the response form the manageress of the new establishment showed what was happening, nearby establishment that had seen a drop off in trade and was retaliating.

Number of reviewers had rated 1 place 5 stars and the other 1 star with extensive comment and then a given third random review with one line comment.

Roofers with 15 google reviews, as one reviewer commented , number of reviewers were so delighted with roofer was only thing they had ever reviewed via google...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, June 29, 2014 10:33:40 AM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 29/06/14 09:16, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If you aren't paying for the service, it's probably being paid
for by a vested interest, which makes impartiality challenging
for a company which is looking to grow and be profitable. That's
not to say it's impossible, but you need to vet the recommendation
just as much as the company you pick from them.

Amazon is my "go to" place for product reviews - but then they sell the
products!

Amazon isnt much good for product reviews. Their official policy is that the review is for the trader, not for the product, and when you're critical of a product they delete the review when the trader asks them to. So disastrous & illegal products go uncriticised.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2014 21:21, rbel wrote:

I wonder if anyone has used Rated People to find a tradesman. I am
looking for a good plasterer to board over both sides of a two part
glazed partition and apply plaster so as to blend in with the
surrounding wall.

The plasterer I have used in the past was excellent on the first job
but not so good on the second so I am now looking for someone new.

Having had a look at the Rated People site it looks as though you fill
in some background info and they get three people to submit quotes,
but there does not seem to be a system of ensuring that a customer
receives only the highest rated available tradesman.

Has anyone used any alternative sites?

I picked a roofer from the "Which" local services site. He was fine, but
it's not particularly well populated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2014 14:51, Bill wrote:
In message , Bert
Coules writes
I've used Check a Trade with considerable success. I wouldn't
definitely decide to employ someone based on the site, but it's a very
useful way of building up a shortlist.

Bert

Http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ebsite-claims-
banish-cowboy-workmen.html

" I have no doubt there are many fine tradesmen on the site; I have
spoken to people whove had good experiences with Checkatrade.

However, I began to wonder where the less-than-glowing reviews were;
even just the average ones. It was then I looked further into how
Checkatrade operates. Workmen pay more than £800 to feature on the website.

It's simply a worthless marketing gimmick.

€˜Members, as they call them, are interviewed before they are
accepted, they are required to hold current public liability insurance
and the correct qualifications for their trade. Checkatrade also checks
ID and takes five references from previous customers.

Public Liability Insurance is cheap as chips. You could take it out,
then cancel it a month later. And the references - are only going to be
from highly delighted customers, mates, relatives etc. Nobody is going
to provide references from unhappy punters.

Once on Checkatrade, a workman is issued with feedback forms to hand out
to customers. The forms ask customers to rate the worker on different
criteria on a scale of one to ten. The scores are collated and an
average given. In theory, customer comments are published straight after
each job.

If the customer is obviously delighted, you give them a form, if not,
you don't. Simple.

But I discovered that only applies to the positive ones, as
Checka-trade makes it very difficult to post negative comments. In fact,
the complaints procedure appears weighted in favour of the trades. "

Because the 'trades' are paying to advertise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
So from personal experience, these sites aren't worth a candle.

The guy we used before the Checkatrade guy was top-rated on RatedPeople.
He was less than satisfactory too.

The only tradesmen we have ever used happily have been personally
recommended by friends and family. Sadly they've all retired, or moved
into other businesses.

I wonder if there is scope for a uk.d-i-y recommended list :-)

I've a decent fence guy, and a decent plumber/heating guy in Folkestone
area that I'd recommend.

I guess by definition of the group we'd not get a great collection going
though :-)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 19:37:44 +0000, D.M.Chapman wrote:

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
So from personal experience, these sites aren't worth a candle.

The guy we used before the Checkatrade guy was top-rated on RatedPeople.
He was less than satisfactory too.

The only tradesmen we have ever used happily have been personally
recommended by friends and family. Sadly they've all retired, or moved
into other businesses.

I wonder if there is scope for a uk.d-i-y recommended list :-)

I've a decent fence guy, and a decent plumber/heating guy in Folkestone
area that I'd recommend.

Does the fence guy go as far as Herne Bay? I'm looking...

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, June 30, 2014 9:23:45 PM UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
I've a decent fence guy, and a decent plumber/heating guy in Folkestone
area that I'd recommend.

Does the fence guy go as far as Herne Bay? I'm looking...

Is there a Kent Separatist movement?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 19:37:44 +0000, D.M.Chapman wrote:

I've a decent fence guy, and a decent plumber/heating guy in Folkestone
area that I'd recommend.

Does the fence guy go as far as Herne Bay? I'm looking...

http://www.checkatrade.com/JonLewisFencing/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jon-l...36513316524202

Probably would if the job was big enough. Bit far (he is in Hythe) for a
small job. Not cheap as he only uses Jacksons stuff, but good quality with
25yr warranty.

Failing that, if you are interested in good quality fencing then get in
touch with Jacksons - they have a list of recommended fitters for small
jobs (where small is less than 40 bays or something mad IIRC!). I expect
they'd have someone more local.

Don't ask him to fit crap panels at a tenner a bay though... :-)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Monday, 30 June 2014 19:44:09 UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, June 30, 2014 7:37:54 PM UTC+1, wrote:

On Monday, June 30, 2014 3:15:42 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

On 30/06/14 13:47, wrote:

On Sunday, June 29, 2014 10:33:40 AM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

On 29/06/14 09:16, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Amazon is my "go to" place for product reviews - but then they sell the

products!

Amazon isnt much good for product reviews. Their official policy is that the review is for the trader, not for the product, and when you're critical of a product they delete the review when the trader asks them to. So disastrous & illegal products go uncriticised.

I have seen a *lot* of scathing comments on products - enough to doubt

what you claim.

Well, that was their stated excuse for pulling mine. So the comments on that product don't reflect user experience.

And there are plenty of illegal products on Amazon, fwiw

They published it, then pulled it after the seller complained that it was a product review. I was shocked to say the least. I no longer have any confidence in amazon reviews.

NT

Aren't there both product reviews, and separate trader reviews, on Amazon? I
am an occasional seller (of s/hand books, mainly), and when you look 'my store'
up, you can see how people have reviewed my service. Reviews of the book itself
are seen separately when you eg. look up a particular book in general (ie. this
is the type most usually seen).

In the 'usual' product review section you quite often see comments/moans etc.
when someone mistakenly reviews the actual trade, eg: "Book came swiftly in
good condition" may well get 'shouted down'.

Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 20:31:13 +0000, D.M.Chapman wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 19:37:44 +0000, D.M.Chapman wrote:

I've a decent fence guy, and a decent plumber/heating guy in
Folkestone area that I'd recommend.

Does the fence guy go as far as Herne Bay? I'm looking...

http://www.checkatrade.com/JonLewisFencing/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jon-l...36513316524202

Probably would if the job was big enough. Bit far (he is in Hythe) for a
small job. Not cheap as he only uses Jacksons stuff, but good quality
with 25yr warranty.

Failing that, if you are interested in good quality fencing then get in
touch with Jacksons - they have a list of recommended fitters for small
jobs (where small is less than 40 bays or something mad IIRC!). I expect
they'd have someone more local.

Don't ask him to fit crap panels at a tenner a bay though... :-)

No, we want good stuff after the way we were ripped off last time...

I'll look at the Jacksons fitters - thanks.
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2014 21:31, D.M.Chapman wrote:
Failing that, if you are interested in good quality fencing then get in
touch with Jacksons - they have a list of recommended fitters for small
jobs (where small is less than 40 bays or something mad IIRC!). I expect
they'd have someone more local.

A useful suggestion, thanks. But it looked to me as if all their
fencing relied upon vertical wooden posts, possibly embedded in concrete
at the base. That's been the problem with existing fence, after 20 odd
years, the wooden posts have all rotted at ground level. I'd been
thinking of concrete posts, even though they look uglier. Any comments?

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive Page wrote:
On 30/06/2014 21:31, D.M.Chapman wrote:
Failing that, if you are interested in good quality fencing then get in
touch with Jacksons - they have a list of recommended fitters for small
jobs (where small is less than 40 bays or something mad IIRC!). I expect
they'd have someone more local.

A useful suggestion, thanks. But it looked to me as if all their
fencing relied upon vertical wooden posts, possibly embedded in concrete
at the base. That's been the problem with existing fence, after 20 odd
years, the wooden posts have all rotted at ground level. I'd been
thinking of concrete posts, even though they look uglier. Any comments?

Jacksons only do wood posts, but some of their fitters will fit concrete
posts. You don't get the jacksons warranty then though.

These http://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/fe...nce-posts.aspx

Guaranteed for 25 years which if they last that long, will beat next doors
concrete posts that look pretty ropy now at under 15 years old...

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, June 30, 2014 1:47:55 PM UTC+1, wrote:

Amazon isnt much good for product reviews. Their official policy is that
the review is for the trader, not for the product

No, you have that the wrong way round. Read the very clear policy he

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/community...ews-guidelines

In particular, the following section:

Off-topic information:
* Feedback on the seller, your shipment experience or the packaging (you can do that at www.amazon.co.uk/feedback and www.amazon.co.uk/packaging)
* Content not specific to the item being reviewed

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 5:03:02 PM UTC+1, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Monday, June 30, 2014 1:47:55 PM UTC+1, wrote:

Amazon isnt much good for product reviews. Their official policy is that
the review is for the trader, not for the product

No, you have that the wrong way round. Read the very clear policy he
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/community...ews-guidelines
In particular, the following section:
Off-topic information:
* Feedback on the seller, your shipment experience or the packaging (you can do that at www.amazon.co.uk/feedback and www.amazon.co.uk/packaging)
* Content not specific to the item being reviewed
Mathew

That page is totally at odds with the reason they gave me for pulling the review. Perhaps I should follow it up.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive Page" wrote in message ...

On 30/06/2014 21:31, D.M.Chapman wrote:
Failing that, if you are interested in good quality fencing then get in
touch with Jacksons - they have a list of recommended fitters for small
jobs (where small is less than 40 bays or something mad IIRC!). I expect
they'd have someone more local.

A useful suggestion, thanks. But it looked to me as if all their fencing
relied upon vertical wooden posts, possibly embedded in concrete at the
base. That's been the problem with existing fence, after 20 odd years,
the wooden posts have all rotted at ground level. I'd been thinking of
concrete posts, even though they look uglier. Any comments?

For what it's worth the fences at my parents' house (Ashford area) are all
Jacksons 6ft closeboard. They were installed in the early '80s, laughed at
the the slight wind in Oct '87, and are still in good shape now.

Cheers

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 23:19:15 +0100, Ferretygubbins wrote:

"Clive Page" wrote in message ...

[...]

While we're on good quality stuff down here in Kent...

Can thoroughly recommend Eagle Sheds. We bought a shed from them about 25
years ago. We've moved since then, but not far (house at the bottom on
the garden 'then' is now opposite us). The shed is still in good nick.
Bought two off them last year, very good quality and they build them all
to order (door and windows where you want, any size you want). Lots of
options.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

Things that people believe from Tradesmen DerbyBorn UK diy 3 July 16th 11 06:02 PM
Tradesmen [email protected] UK diy 35 February 17th 11 10:06 PM
Tradesmen mark UK diy 6 November 7th 09 01:36 PM
Generate Cash Fast--People Helping People Get RICH!!! Check it out! shaishai Home Ownership 0 July 3rd 06 09:37 PM
Need to find a Realtor. No questions asked. Sometimes the agents are rated by people like you realtyrators Home Ownership 0 February 25th 05 04:26 AM