Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Driveway Cost

Hi all

Totally OT I know but here goes...

Has the price of block paving suddenly rocketed in the past couple of years?

I was talking to a new neighbour recently who had got quotes from a few
of the local companies.
His drive probably had less square metrage than mine - he had been
quoted £9k. One of the companies he quoted had also quoted me a couple
of years ago - my figure was £5k.
I know there are variations in the block type selected, but our price
wasn't based on the cheapest.

So the questions a
Has the cost of the drive relaying job practically doubled in the last 2
years?
OR
Do they apply a huge premium in the first half of the year (as this is
when most people will look to getting this sort of thing done)? My
quote was obtained late in the year when business was quieter.

Thanks

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster wrote:
[...]

I've just paid £3370 for 32 sqm std 200 x 100 x 65 blocks including
breaking the old concrete and taking it away. The guy is not vat
registered so I'd have only paid vat on materials, skip & plant hire.

I'm dahn sarf where things generally cost a bit more than oop north.

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
thescullster wrote:
[...]

~£2200 for 30sqm, Midlands.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"thescullster" wrote in message
[...]

There are three thicknesses of block for a start.
It depends where he has to tip any rubble/other waste.
It depends how busy he is. Probably not very, two years ago.
It depends how far he has to travel.
It depends on what edging is specified and how much there is relative to the
area.
There might be drains to consider.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'd say the materials have come down in price slightly over the past year or
so.

There are *massive* differences in block prices, just as there was 2 years
ago, EG Marshalls Tegula can range from £20 to £30 per metre just to buy.
Normal pavers, 200X100X65 have remained about the same for years.
Surprisingly (to me anyway) a lot of people don't want BP and insist on
having slabs laid, even though it's cheaper*

For a driveway, the preperation for both is going to be the same, BP is
about a tenner per m2 from Jewsons (which is made by Marshalls
incidentally), while slabs, 600X600X50 are about £6 each, which makes them
over £16 a metre.

I've just laid Indian stone which was only £15.50 per m2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/14 14:09, thescullster wrote:

So the questions a
Has the cost of the drive relaying job practically doubled in the last 2
years?
OR
Do they apply a huge premium in the first half of the year (as this is
when most people will look to getting this sort of thing done)? My
quote was obtained late in the year when business was quieter.

Your neighbour may be having permeable blocks to avoid planning
permission / drainage requirements, in which case there's a lot more
preparation of the base required

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

There are three thicknesses of block for a start.

Very little difference in price though

It depends where he has to tip any rubble/other waste.

Anyone who has done the job before will get it lifted from site @ £120 for
16 tonnes, or pay approx £300 for two skips to remove the same amount

It depends how busy he is. Probably not very, two years ago.

Bingo.

It depends how far he has to travel.

Irrelevant, unless the job is in Glasgow and he lives in Kent...a few
hundred quids worth of diesel won't affect the price much

It depends on what edging is specified and how much there is relative to
the area.
There might be drains to consider.

There's *always* drains to consider.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2014 20:00, Phil L wrote:
Surprisingly (to me anyway) a lot of people don't want BP and insist on
having slabs laid, even though it's cheaper*

BP?

I wasn't able to find it. Though I have to share this link with you lot...

https://toiletmap.gov.au/toilet/36653

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 24/06/2014 20:00, Phil L wrote:
Surprisingly (to me anyway) a lot of people don't want BP and insist on
having slabs laid, even though it's cheaper*

BP?

The entire thread is about Block Paving, I'd have thought it was fairly
obvious?

I wasn't able to find it. Though I have to share this link with you
lot...

https://toiletmap.gov.au/toilet/36653

A map for Australian toilets....as 90% of it seems uninhabited, I'd say it
was more toilet than anything else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2014 21:35, Phil L wrote:
"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
BP?

The entire thread is about Block Paving, I'd have thought it was fairly
obvious?

Doh!

I wasn't able to find it. Though I have to share this link with you
lot...

https://toiletmap.gov.au/toilet/36653

A map for Australian toilets....as 90% of it seems uninhabited, I'd say it
was more toilet than anything else.

You're just upset about the cricket :P

Andy