Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extra bit on bookcase

I had some photos spare, and figured the section on making the dentil
moulding could do with better/more explanation, so did this:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ly_spaced_cuts

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm writes

I had some photos spare, and figured the section on making the dentil
moulding could do with better/more explanation, so did this:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ly_spaced_cuts

Dentils are such a powerful feature that it's useful to know how you got
them right. I thought the build and proportions of those with the other
mouldings used to create the compound cornice feature were really well
balanced. The reeding was a nice touch too, simple but added a lot.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2014 09:01, fred wrote:
In article , John
Rumm writes

I had some photos spare, and figured the section on making the dentil
moulding could do with better/more explanation, so did this:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ly_spaced_cuts

Dentils are such a powerful feature that it's useful to know how you got
them right. I thought the build and proportions of those with the other
mouldings used to create the compound cornice feature were really well
balanced. The reeding was a nice touch too, simple but added a lot.

Used to do those on a sawbench using various shaped cutters (astragal
etc). Would then rip them into strips 3mm thick and pin them on the
front of shelf units etc. The only wood that would take that amount of
fine machining without breaking up was Quebec Yellow (pinus stobus).
Soft as cheese but perfect for the job
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2014 09:01, fred wrote:
In article , John
Rumm writes

I had some photos spare, and figured the section on making the dentil
moulding could do with better/more explanation, so did this:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ly_spaced_cuts

Dentils are such a powerful feature that it's useful to know how you got
them right. I thought the build and proportions of those with the other
mouldings used to create the compound cornice feature were really well
balanced.

The original design had the "teeth" protrude past the scotia, which
looked ok. It was only when I was plying with it on a mock up that I
found the scotia (being slightly asymmetric) would actually match the
height of the tops of the teeth if I wanted, and decided that actually
looked quite nice.

The reeding was a nice touch too, simple but added a lot.

Yup I was determined to do that - took some time to track down the
router cutter for it as well (Axminster in the end), when you get it to
flow into the cove, I think it works nicely. It also looks good on some
pieces if you add a second one spaced off the bottom by a couple of inches.

--
Cheers,

John.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! TI to buy Nat'l Semi for $6.5 billion David Nebenzahl Electronics Repair 0 April 5th 11 12:47 AM
BOOKCASE. J T Woodworking 0 March 11th 06 07:10 PM
bookcase plans ger Woodworking 4 March 7th 06 11:08 AM
bookcase help George Snyder Woodworking 2 April 3rd 05 09:21 PM
Bookcase-Website dale austin Woodworking 0 July 22nd 04 05:54 PM