Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Filling a hole

Now my nasty brick fireplace has been removed I'm left with this

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8c116ee9.jpg

What's the best way to fill this in do you think ? Cinder block ?

Many thanks

Sean
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2014 12:13, DrLargePants wrote:
Now my nasty brick fireplace has been removed I'm left with this

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8c116ee9.jpg

What's the best way to fill this in do you think ? Cinder block ?

Whatever you decide on, don't forget some ventilation.

I'd go for whatever the rest of the wall is built from.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 June 2014 12:13:52 UTC+1, DrLargePants wrote:
Now my nasty brick fireplace has been removed I'm left with this

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8c116ee9.jpg

What's the best way to fill this in do you think ? Cinder block ?

Many thanks

Sean

what's in the pipe?

how do you want it all to look?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd be inclined to put in a wood frame and plasterboard. Just in case you
or others want to open it up again. And has been said don't forget some
ventilation if the chimney still exists.

--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/... And has been said don't forget some ventilation if the chimney still exists./q

ITYM "if the flue still exists" which it appears to from the photo.

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DrLargePants" wrote in message
Now my nasty brick fireplace has been removed I'm left with this

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8c116ee9.jpg

What's the best way to fill this in do you think ? Cinder block ?

Many thanks

Sean

You'll have to remove the metal liner that's in place as it's protruding
further than the plaster.
This is where it's going to get a bit messy because someone has used the
metal box as a lintel and there's a lump of thermalite block over the top
which will come down, also there's probably a few hundred kilos of soot and
****e behind that box

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

"DrLargePants" wrote:

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8c116ee9.jpg

You'll have to remove the metal liner that's in place as it's protruding
further than the plaster.
This is where it's going to get a bit messy because someone has used the
metal box as a lintel and there's a lump of thermalite block over the top
which will come down, also there's probably a few hundred kilos of soot and
****e behind that box

Wedge some wooden 'props' inside the metal liner, then tin-snip at the
corners and fold the protruding edges inwards?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns scribbled...

Phil L wrote:

"DrLargePants" wrote:

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8c116ee9.jpg

You'll have to remove the metal liner that's in place as it's protruding
further than the plaster.
This is where it's going to get a bit messy because someone has used the
metal box as a lintel and there's a lump of thermalite block over the top
which will come down, also there's probably a few hundred kilos of soot and
****e behind that box

Wedge some wooden 'props' inside the metal liner, then tin-snip at the
corners and fold the protruding edges inwards?

& fingers crossed the rust doesn't come though the plaster.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:41:17 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'd be inclined to put in a wood frame and plasterboard. Just in case you
or others want to open it up again. And has been said don't forget some
ventilation if the chimney still exists.

Thats the easy option, dont need to deal with the protruding steelwork.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is no chimney, just a blocked up flue that exits at a right angle to the floor. I'm pretty sure the wall is cinder block

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mortar and assorted ****e by the look of it.

Wall is getting skimed, so whatever's best for the plasterer really
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ahh, that's a good point actually, didn't think of that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Correct.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was rather reluctent to remove it for exactly that reason !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DrLargePants wrote:

Correct.
that's a good point
There is no chimney
Mortar and assorted ****e
I was rather reluctent to remove it

Context is everything ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What is context?

:-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, June 22, 2014 11:47:50 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
DrLargePants wrote:

Correct.

that's a good point

There is no chimney

Mortar and assorted ****e

I was rather reluctent to remove it

Context is everything ...

Granted, I didn't realise when replying on a phone that it cut the rest of the message out.

Filling a hole in a ceiling? mo UK diy 6 July 22nd 10 06:18 PM
filling hole below tiles Jules Richardson Home Repair 2 April 13th 10 07:51 PM
Filling hole in wall [email protected] Home Repair 9 April 28th 09 02:46 PM
Filling a hole in a ceiling Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 6 January 24th 08 04:25 PM
Filling a hole in a ceiling Andy Hall UK diy 0 January 18th 08 12:29 AM