Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old bricks - much value?

There's a builder doing a property up across the road, he's palletting
the bricks he's bringing out to sell on.

I have a load of bricks and he's keen to take them, it probably depends
what type of brick I know but generally speaking, could they possibly be
worth much?

The property is over 100 years old FWIW.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/14 09:30, R D S wrote:
There's a builder doing a property up across the road, he's palletting
the bricks he's bringing out to sell on.

I have a load of bricks and he's keen to take them, it probably depends
what type of brick I know but generally speaking, could they possibly be
worth much?

The property is over 100 years old FWIW.

I suggest having a look on ebay to see if you can guage their value.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
There's a builder doing a property up across the road, he's palletting
the bricks he's bringing out to sell on.

I have a load of bricks and he's keen to take them, it probably depends
what type of brick I know but generally speaking, could they possibly be
worth much?

The property is over 100 years old FWIW.

They're not making victorian bricks anymore so they will have a value to
people who want to add an extension etc in the same brick.
Going by prices for my local old brick, Norfolk Reds, about £1 retail, 50p
if you're trying to sell them.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
On 19/06/14 09:30, R D S wrote:
There's a builder doing a property up across the road, he's palletting
the bricks he's bringing out to sell on.

I have a load of bricks and he's keen to take them, it probably depends
what type of brick I know but generally speaking, could they possibly be
worth much?

The property is over 100 years old FWIW.

I suggest having a look on ebay to see if you can guage their value.

Years ago, when I was hiring a skip, the hire was free if the contents
were bricks and tiles only, as they got sold on as hardcore, so even
they had some resell value.

Don't know if that's still true today, but I may have a brick garden
wall to demolish shortly.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Round here (Cambridge) local plain wire-cut victorian bricks cost £1 each..

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
There's a builder doing a property up across the road, he's palletting
the bricks he's bringing out to sell on.

I have a load of bricks and he's keen to take them, it probably depends
what type of brick I know but generally speaking, could they possibly be
worth much?

The property is over 100 years old FWIW.

A good few years back I swapped around 1200 hand made bricks for a days
plastering with 2 blokes and they were happy with the deal.

I'd imagine old handmade bricks are just as sought after. They will
fetch more if the mortar has been cleaned off- depends if you want to
put in the effort. At that age they should have been using lime mortar
which falls off easily - rub with a damaged brick on the top, bottom and
headers to remove it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2014 14:36, Bob Minchin wrote:
R D S wrote:
There's a builder doing a property up across the road, he's palletting
the bricks he's bringing out to sell on.

I have a load of bricks and he's keen to take them, it probably depends
what type of brick I know but generally speaking, could they possibly be
worth much?

The property is over 100 years old FWIW.

A good few years back I swapped around 1200 hand made bricks for a days
plastering with 2 blokes and they were happy with the deal.

I'd imagine old handmade bricks are just as sought after. They will
fetch more if the mortar has been cleaned off- depends if you want to
put in the effort. At that age they should have been using lime mortar
which falls off easily - rub with a damaged brick on the top, bottom and
headers to remove it.

Here in SE London yellow stocks sell for about a quid each and reds
about half that. EBay prices are all over the place IME
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
There's a builder doing a property up across the road, he's palletting
the bricks he's bringing out to sell on.

I have a load of bricks and he's keen to take them, it probably depends
what type of brick I know but generally speaking, could they possibly be
worth much?

The property is over 100 years old FWIW.

Yes - many old bricks simply ain't available new. So if you are repairing
or adding to an old house they have a value to match the original. Or for
landscape gardening etc.
They can often cost more to buy than the new 'equivalent'.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Jun 2014 13:22:22 GMT, Huge wrote:

Years ago, when I was hiring a skip, the hire was free if the

contents
were bricks and tiles only, as they got sold on as hardcore, so

even
they had some resell value.

Don't know if that's still true today,

Nope. In these days of landfill taxes, hard-core has negative value.

Probably won't get a free skip but if you hire a skip just to take
away the spoil from digging a pond or footings or demolishing a
building(*) and that is all it will contain you might get a cheaper
price compared to a "general waste" one.

(*) Check if they will accept building timbers as well as the rubble.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/14 09:29, Huge wrote:

This is true. We have a 4 cu yd on the driveway right now - £80 if "inert
waste" (rubble & soil), £300 if "general waste".

You're lucky. when I asked our local company the difference between
hardcore and mixed was so small it was not worth bothering to try to
separate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bit of a minefield for a buyer IMHO.

Old bricks' quality varies so much depending I think where they were in the kiln and how good the firing was, I.e. how hot they got.

Best well burnts were used to face buildings to survive frosts etc, the ****ty unburnts, misshapes etc were used internally.

Woe betide a hapless buyer of a few 1000 to match existing....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2014 12:26, mark wrote:
"R D S" wrote in message
There's a builder doing a property up across the road, he's palletting
the bricks he's bringing out to sell on.

I have a load of bricks and he's keen to take them, it probably depends
what type of brick I know but generally speaking, could they possibly be
worth much?

The property is over 100 years old FWIW.

They're not making victorian bricks anymore so they will have a value to
people who want to add an extension etc in the same brick.
Going by prices for my local old brick, Norfolk Reds, about £1 retail, 50p
if you're trying to sell them.

mark

Bricks from what looked to be a Victorian church going for £1 each near
me (Sheffield).

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2014 20:05, RJH wrote:
On 19/06/2014 12:26, mark wrote:
"R D S" wrote in message
There's a builder doing a property up across the road, he's palletting
the bricks he's bringing out to sell on.

I have a load of bricks and he's keen to take them, it probably depends
what type of brick I know but generally speaking, could they possibly be
worth much?

The property is over 100 years old FWIW.

They're not making victorian bricks anymore so they will have a value to
people who want to add an extension etc in the same brick.
Going by prices for my local old brick, Norfolk Reds, about £1 retail,
50p
if you're trying to sell them.

mark

Bricks from what looked to be a Victorian church going for £1 each near
me (Sheffield).

The nice thing about the old London yellow stocks is that the colour
changes according to the light. At times they positively glow. Modern
repro bricks are just dull by comparison
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The nice thing about the old London yellow stocks is that the colour
changes according to the light. At times they positively glow. Modern
repro bricks are just dull by comparison

Don't some brick makers do replicas of that sort of brick or is it they
can't get the clay these days etc?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2014 13:58, tony sayer wrote:

The nice thing about the old London yellow stocks is that the colour
changes according to the light. At times they positively glow. Modern
repro bricks are just dull by comparison

Don't some brick makers do replicas of that sort of brick or is it they
can't get the clay these days etc?...

If you compare them side by side, the replicas look like a close match
in certain lights, but nothing like them at, say, dawn or dusk. What
produces this subtle change I don't know, but almost certainly something
to do with oxides, ochres, and other impurities in the London clay.

You think you can lay bricks? mark UK diy 12 July 13th 15 03:17 AM
Replacement of loose bricks - cast in concrete or point in new bricks? RJS[_2_] UK diy 10 September 1st 12 05:41 PM
bricks Stephen[_12_] UK diy 5 April 16th 11 09:07 AM
How old are these bricks? Bitstreams UK diy 9 October 27th 07 12:16 AM
Air bricks John Miller UK diy 8 October 23rd 04 12:40 AM