Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any reccomendations for news group servers

Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

news.individual.net

Not free. But cheap. And good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/1/2014 2:51 PM, HarpingOn wrote:
On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

news.individual.net

Not free. But cheap. And good.

+1
And they're good at filtering out cr*p.
Ten euros a year isn't free, but it's close.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
HarpingOn wrote:
On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

news.individual.net

Not free. But cheap. And good.

Yep, individual is good.

If you want free, then http://www.eternal-september.org/ is pretty good.
Needs registration but works ok most of the time (maybe once a month I
get a refused connection due to load - wait 2 mins and it's fine).

It's all I use these days since we decommisioned our usenet server at
the university - sad really, it was one of (or maybe *the*) first usenet
services in UK :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 19:42:36 +0100, Chris Crinkle wrote:

Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.

aioe.org
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Crinkle wrote

Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting,

news.individual.net

Not free, but only E10 a year, so costs peanuts and is very reliable.

as Zen are closing their service in a few months.

Alternatively are these groups available via a different route,

Some do use groups.google but that produces a hell of a
mess when quoted.

or are there better forums

There are for some areas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 15:09:44 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which

allow
posting, ...

news.individual.net

Not free. But cheap. And good.

+1
And they're good at filtering out cr*p.

Very good, I don't see any spam unless some berk quotes and/or
responds to it.

Ten euros a year isn't free, but it's close.

Well worth E10 for the spam removal alone.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

Not sure how up to date the list is now:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...s#News_servers

(feel free to tweak if you find more)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Crinkle wrote:

Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

No-one has mentioned eternal-september.
http://www.eternal-september.org/
Free, generally a good, spam free server. Occasionally there are
time-outs, but it has been pretty reliable over the last 6 years or
so.
Currently using Giganews due to having lost my password. I wouldnt
recommend Giga due to the spam, and unmoderated posts getting through
to moderated groups.
--
Alan
To reply by mail, change '+' to 'plus'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:

No-one has mentioned eternal-september.
http://www.eternal-september.org/
Free, generally a good, spam free server. Occasionally there are
time-outs, but it has been pretty reliable over the last 6 years or
so.

I used to use it for some groups, it's good as a freebie, but the
outages became a bit too frequent, so I switched to giganews for everything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Albasani, Eternal September. AO to name but three I have used. some do like
to restrict the number of postings in a session for some reason, aybe its
anti spam dunno.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"HarpingOn" wrote in message
On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

news.individual.net

Not free. But cheap. And good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/14 19:51, HarpingOn wrote:
On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

news.individual.net

Not free. But cheap. And good.

+1 been impressed with them. Better than Eternal September.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 08:39:18 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 01/06/14 19:51, HarpingOn wrote:
On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

news.individual.net

Not free. But cheap. And good.

+1 been impressed with them. Better than Eternal September.

Another vote for news.individual.net.

If you really need free then there's always news.aioe.org.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

I use aioe and news eternal september - both free. Neither carries all the
groups I read - hence needing both. But you might be ok with just one. My
software allows both to be used without duplicates - so if one happens to
be down (rare) it will just use the other. Both seem ok spam wise.

--
*When the going gets tough, use duct tape

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HarpingOn expressed precisely :
On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

news.individual.net

Not free. But cheap. And good.

news.eternal-september.org is free, as is nntp.aioe.org

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"HarpingOn" wrote in message ...

On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do
Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new groups. the
trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email address.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
"HarpingOn" wrote in message ...

On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do
Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new groups. the
trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email address.

You don't use the ISP's email, you use gmail instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote:
"HarpingOn" wrote in message ...

On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do
Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new groups.
the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email address.

Kevin

Why on earth would you tie yourself to one ISP by becoming "dependant" on
their email service?? I was a zen customer for many years but never used
my zen email address.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 07:11:50 +0100, Tim+ wrote:

Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.

I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do
Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new groups.
the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email
address.

Why on earth would you tie yourself to one ISP by becoming "dependant"
on their email service?? I was a zen customer for many years but never
used my zen email address.

Well, quite.

And why would using one company for internet access and the same company
for mail access mean you have to use the same company for usenet
access...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/14 03:03, Kevin wrote:
"HarpingOn" wrote in message ...

On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do
Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new groups.
the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email
address.

Sadly you have found out that was a mistake.

Set yourself up a personal domain using 123 Reg (I have no affiliation)
and as part of that you can create one or more email addresses based on
that domain and forward to a "real" email provider, be it Zen or Gmail.

Spend the next few months telling everyone - and then drop Zen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 14:27:43 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email
address.

You don't use the ISP's email, ...

Correct.

... you use gmail instead.

puke Personally I don't trust that Uncle Sam won't be watching,
google certainly are and selling "anonymised" data sets. Except that
by combining such data sets identities can be deduced.

Get your own domain name and either run your own mail server or use
the possibly free mail service that comes with the domain name.
Domain names are very cheap, a .co.uk can be had for £4.18/year (inc
VAT) from 123-reg.co.uk, this gives a bit of web space and mail
forwarding. Other providers are avaialble but I'd not touch anything
to do with fasthosts with some one elses barge pole.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

who supplies your Internet connection ?

I have BT Broadband .... usenet access is free.
They carry almost all of the usenet groups.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

who supplies your Internet connection ?

Wild guess here...... Zen?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Kevin wrote:
"HarpingOn" wrote in message ...

On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do
Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new groups.
the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email
address.

News has nothing to do with email.

--
*Cleaned by Stevie Wonder, checked by David Blunkett*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do
Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new groups.
the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email
address.

You don't use the ISP's email, you use gmail instead.

Nobody in their right mind uses gmail for anything.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
On 01/06/2014 19:42, Chris Crinkle wrote:
Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow
posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months.
Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are
there better forums

who supplies your Internet connection ?

I have BT Broadband .... usenet access is free.
They carry almost all of the usenet groups.

I was with Pipex (which became talktalk or whatever) and they withdrew
their free news service. So I then used aioe and eternal september. When I
changed to BT fibre, my news continued to work as before, so I saw no
point in changing things to the BT feed. I didn't even know they supplied
one. ;-)

--
*If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2014 09:31, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 14:27:43 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email
address.

You don't use the ISP's email, ...

Correct.

... you use gmail instead.

puke Personally I don't trust that Uncle Sam won't be watching,
google certainly are and selling "anonymised" data sets. Except that
by combining such data sets identities can be deduced.

Uncle Sam watches all internet traffic ... with context monitoring
algorithms ... so irrelevant who your provider is.

Any real anonymous services .. (anon.penet.fi) get closed down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote
Rod Speed wrote

trouble is how do you change ISPs when
you are using their email address.

You don't use the ISP's email, ...

Correct.

... you use gmail instead.

puke Personally I don't trust that Uncle Sam won't be watching,

I don't give a damn what they watch.

google certainly are and selling "anonymised" data sets.

I couldn't care less.

Except that by combining such data sets identities can be deduced.

Never had any downsides from that possibility.

Get your own domain name

Had that for years now.

and either run your own mail server or use the possibly
free mail service that comes with the domain name.

The yanks will be perving on that too.

Domain names are very cheap, a .co.uk can be had for £4.18/year
(inc VAT) from 123-reg.co.uk, this gives a bit of web space and mail
forwarding.

Sure, the price isnt the problem.

Other providers are avaialble but I'd not touch anything
to do with fasthosts with some one elses barge pole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do
Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new groups.
the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email
address.

You don't use the ISP's email, you use gmail instead.

Nobody in their right mind uses gmail for anything.

Wrong, as always.

They have a pretty decent spam filtering system so it
works fine for usenet and works fine for other stuff that
can end up with spam like ebay etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 11:49:41 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do
Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new groups.
the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email
address.

You don't use the ISP's email, you use gmail instead.

Nobody in their right mind uses gmail for anything.

I disagree. I use gmail for disposable email accounts.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do
Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new groups.
the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email
address.

You don't use the ISP's email, you use gmail instead.

Nobody in their right mind uses gmail for anything.

As you can see, I use a gmail address for Usenet postings.

(Not that I'm necessarily in my right mind. That's not for me to say.)

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/14 11:59, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 03/06/2014 09:31, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 14:27:43 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email
address.

You don't use the ISP's email, ...

Correct.

... you use gmail instead.

puke Personally I don't trust that Uncle Sam won't be watching,
google certainly are and selling "anonymised" data sets. Except that
by combining such data sets identities can be deduced.

Uncle Sam watches all internet traffic ... with context monitoring
algorithms ... so irrelevant who your provider is.

Any real anonymous services .. (anon.penet.fi) get closed down.

I run my own mail server (as do several others here). Mine will use TLS
whenever the other end supports it. Good luck sniffing that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do
Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new
groups. the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using
their email address.

You don't use the ISP's email, you use gmail instead.

Nobody in their right mind uses gmail for anything.

Wrong, as always.

They have a pretty decent spam filtering system so it
works fine for usenet and works fine for other stuff that
can end up with spam like ebay etc.

What does email have to do with Usenet?

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 11:49:41 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do
Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new groups.
the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email
address.

You don't use the ISP's email, you use gmail instead.

Nobody in their right mind uses gmail for anything.

I disagree. I use gmail for disposable email accounts.

Why would anyone need a disposable email account?

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do
Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new
groups. the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using
their email address.

You don't use the ISP's email, you use gmail instead.

Nobody in their right mind uses gmail for anything.

Wrong, as always.

They have a pretty decent spam filtering system so it
works fine for usenet and works fine for other stuff that
can end up with spam like ebay etc.

What does email have to do with Usenet?

Even someone as stupid as you should have noticed
that some do have an email address on their posts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Mark
wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 11:49:41 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article , Rod Speed
wrote:
I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to
do Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new
groups. the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using
their email address.

You don't use the ISP's email, you use gmail instead.

Nobody in their right mind uses gmail for anything.

I disagree. I use gmail for disposable email accounts.

Why would anyone need a disposable email account?

One person I know - who directs stage plays - sets up a disposable account
for each production. Once the play is over, he forgets about it. i'm sure
others have goood reasons, too.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 11:49:41 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do
Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new
groups.
the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email
address.

You don't use the ISP's email, you use gmail instead.

Nobody in their right mind uses gmail for anything.

I disagree. I use gmail for disposable email accounts.

Why would anyone need a disposable email account?

Because when you use one for stuff like
ebay, some arseholes can spam them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2014 13:17, Rod Speed wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
What does email have to do with Usenet?

Even someone as stupid as you should have noticed
that some do have an email address on their posts.

As most, if not all, news servers need to be given a valid e-mail
address in order to open the account, that's hardly unexpected.

Although once it's been used to register, the e-mail account never needs
to be used again, and most servers let you alter the From:- address in
the headers after registration anyway.

Luckily, the days of harvesting From:- or Reply To:- addresses from
usenet seem to have gone.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 12:57:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 11:49:41 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
I am a bit ****ed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do
Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new groups.
the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email
address.

You don't use the ISP's email, you use gmail instead.

Nobody in their right mind uses gmail for anything.

I disagree. I use gmail for disposable email accounts.

Why would anyone need a disposable email account?

If you don't want to give out an email address you use normally.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

recommended free news servers for text only gregz Home Repair 1 October 4th 12 09:24 PM
[OT] Usenet/news servers D.M.Chapman UK diy 9 July 19th 10 08:24 AM
News Servers cavelamb Metalworking 10 October 23rd 09 02:40 AM
Earthink has changed news servers, again Michael A. Terrell Electronics Repair 7 April 2nd 08 10:38 PM
news servers which filter looney spam? John Stumbles UK diy 9 January 2nd 08 09:46 AM