Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default gas cooker or electric?

Hello,

If you had the choice, would you install a gas cooker or an electric
one?

Is it fair to say that electric fan ovens are the best type of oven to
have because the fan helps the oven to heat up fastest and most
evenly? Or do gas ovens have a big jet that heats up even faster?

For the hob, I've heard people say gas is best. Is this because it is
adjustable and changes instantly? I'm thinking with electric if you
turned the heat up there would be a slight delay before it got hotter
and if you turned it down, there would be residual heat for a while?

Or is it just that gas is more powerful and has larger jets so that
you can, for example, use woks that electric hobs simply aren't big
enough and powerful enough to heat?

How do running costs compare? Electric is said to be the most
expensive way to heat or isn't that significant for cooking which only
is on for a few minutes each day?

For some years I lived in a village without mains gas so I had a
ceramic hob and electric oven. I am currently renting a house which
has a freestanding gas oven. I think it must depend on what make and
model you have.

I remember having a gas cooker when I was a child and the grill had a
row of flames along the back of the grill that came towards you and
they were quite adjustable and from memory, it was ok to use and like
an electric grill, heated all of the grill pan.

This cooker has the jet/nozzle/burner thing (what is it called?) down
the middle of the grill, from which the flames go to either side. It
is very like a camping grill and my experience of these is that they
are not very good. This type doesn't seem to heat the whole grill pan,
just the central part. IME this type doesn't seem very adjustable; I
guess because it is already pretty feeble at full power.

Perhaps the moral of this story is to use an electric grill or if
buying a gas grill, get a good look at the layout of the jet in the
shop before buying?

Thanks,
Stephen.

New Electric Cooker 'Nel' UK diy 5 January 24th 08 05:25 AM
wiring an electric cooker nospam[_2_] UK diy 3 October 1st 07 04:26 PM
How do i fit a 30amp electric cooker? purple pete UK diy 7 November 12th 05 09:18 PM
Electric cooker connection petek UK diy 8 March 8th 05 11:23 PM
Electrics - Replace full electric cooker with a duel fuel cooker Chi UK diy 11 December 16th 03 02:44 PM