purple pete

Default How do i fit a 30amp electric cooker?

OK I have googled this but without much luck.

Have a new Electric cooker arriving soon which needs 30amp connection. The
30amp cooker socket /switch is installed already which has a spur which acts
as a "connection box" for the actual cooker cable to connect to.

My question is simple - is this as easy to wire in as a standard UK mains
plug? or is it a bit more tricky? Have a friend who is an electrician so
could ask him to do it for me but if its simple enough then would like to do
it myself. Looked for some diagrams but could see nothing on the net ;-(

Lastly before I go - the old cooker is a GAS only type and I believe it has
a bayonet type fitting (is this a UK countrywide type fitting) and if so is
it just case of twist and pull to disconnect? Would i need to get that
connection checked after removal or will just the twist and pull be enough
to prevent any further escape of gas (apart from whats left in the hose
still connected to the cooker)

I am sure this is all very easy but I would just like to check first.

Thanks

EricP

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:48:23 -0000, "purple pete"
wrote:

My question is simple - is this as easy to wire in as a standard UK mains
plug?

Yes.
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:48:23 -0000, purple pete wrote:

Have a new Electric cooker arriving soon which needs 30amp connection. The
30amp cooker socket /switch is installed already which has a spur which acts
as a "connection box" for the actual cooker cable to connect to.

Not sure what you mean by a "spur" in this context, I guess you mean a
cooker outlet plate, like this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/White_BG_Index/BG_Cooker_Outlet/index.html

Wiring it up is easy; just make sure you use the right size cable, and
get the LNE connections right!

--
Nigel M
powerstation

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...u_Index/White_
BG_Index/BG_Cooker_Outlet/index.html

Wiring it up is easy; just make sure you use the right size cable, and
get the LNE connections right!

As a temporary measure only you can remove the gas hose from the fitting,
but you must get it capped of permanently, you cannot leave a open bayonet
fitting on gas supply.

Ed Sirett

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:39:28 +0000, powerstation wrote:

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:48:23 -0000, purple pete wrote:

Have a new Electric cooker arriving soon which needs 30amp connection.

The
30amp cooker socket /switch is installed already which has a spur which

acts
as a "connection box" for the actual cooker cable to connect to.

Not sure what you mean by a "spur" in this context, I guess you mean a
cooker outlet plate, like this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...u_Index/White_
BG_Index/BG_Cooker_Outlet/index.html

Wiring it up is easy; just make sure you use the right size cable, and
get the LNE connections right!

As a temporary measure only you can remove the gas hose from the fitting,
but you must get it capped of permanently, you cannot leave a open bayonet
fitting on gas supply.

Whilst I accept this is good practice. I can find no reference to this in
any gas fitting text.

powerstation

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

A bayonet fitting is classed as a tap, therefore it cannot be used as
permanent means of disconnection, that has to be a screwed fitting,
compression fitting or soldered end. The use of a tap is not permitted in
the same way as in that if you removed a hob would you find it acceptable to
just turn off the tap and leave an open end ?

Pete- registered gas installer

David Hansen

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:48:23 -0000 someone who may be "purple pete"
wrote this:-

Have a new Electric cooker arriving soon which needs 30amp connection. The
30amp cooker socket /switch is installed already which has a spur which acts
as a "connection box" for the actual cooker cable to connect to.

1) find out the size of the protective device for the circuit. This
will probably be 30A or 45A.

2) get a length of cable that will allow you to pull the cooker out
far enough to make the connection easily. The size of this cable
will depend on the answer to 1).
http://www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/Dea...bles_10.h tml
may help you.

3) wire it up, following any instructions that come with it.

4) don't forget green and yellow sleeving for the earth core, where
it is outside the sheath.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
John Rumm

purple pete wrote:

Lastly before I go - the old cooker is a GAS only type and I believe it has
a bayonet type fitting (is this a UK countrywide type fitting) and if so is
it just case of twist and pull to disconnect? Would i need to get that

Push a bit, twist and pull.

connection checked after removal or will just the twist and pull be enough
to prevent any further escape of gas (apart from whats left in the hose
still connected to the cooker)

It should self seal. Personally I would test it with a leak detection
spray to make sure. A small amount of washing up liquid and water
sprayed on as a foam will also do the job. Wipe any residue off after
though as washing up liquid can be a little corrosive over time.

--
Cheers,

John.

Access to electric supply for gas hob/oven ignition? Lobster UK diy 5 November 3rd 05 11:30 AM
Gas or Electric? phaeton Home Repair 22 October 27th 05 12:21 AM
about the cooker socket Jason UK diy 11 October 27th 04 10:33 PM
Electric Shower and burnt 30amp fuse gna03633 UK diy 28 September 25th 04 10:16 AM
Electric Heater Denver Woody Woodworking 6 October 2nd 03 09:43 PM