Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any Chemist on the forum

I have used a commercial additive via a hose dispenser when flushing my
boat engine after use in slat water .....

That product is no more, and looked at the competition ...
http://www.salt-away.co.uk/

No doubt does a good job but at £74 for less than 4 Litre this is more
expensive than single malt.

Just wondering what would actually be in this, and whether I could make
up my own mix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2014 20:04, Rick Hughes wrote:
I have used a commercial additive via a hose dispenser when flushing my
boat engine after use in slat water .....

That product is no more, and looked at the competition ...
http://www.salt-away.co.uk/

No doubt does a good job but at £74 for less than 4 Litre this is more
expensive than single malt.

Just wondering what would actually be in this, and whether I could make
up my own mix.

WD40?

Buy a RO filter and flush the salt out with pure water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 May 2014 20:04:13 +0100, Rick Hughes
wrote:

I have used a commercial additive via a hose dispenser when flushing my
boat engine after use in slat water .....

That product is no more, and looked at the competition ...
http://www.salt-away.co.uk/

No doubt does a good job but at £74 for less than 4 Litre this is more
expensive than single malt.

Just wondering what would actually be in this, and whether I could make
up my own mix.

Trisodium Phosphate.

http://www.saltawayproducts.com/MSDSPage.htm

click on "PDF FILE" and look at page 5.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 May 2014 20:30:28 +0100, Graham. wrote:

No doubt does a good job but at £74 for less than 4 Litre this is more
expensive than single malt.

I don't think you'll get much of a malt for £13 for a 70cl bottle, tbh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have used a commercial additive via a hose dispenser when flushing my
boat engine after use in slat water .....

That product is no more, and looked at the competition ...
http://www.salt-away.co.uk/

No doubt does a good job but at £74 for less than 4 Litre this is more
expensive than single malt.

Just wondering what would actually be in this, and whether I could make
up my own mix.

Trisodium Phosphate.

http://www.saltawayproducts.com/MSDSPage.htm

click on "PDF FILE" and look at page 5.

Interesting that the SDS was written in English (eg colour not color)
for the American regulator. Does that mean they actually can spell
properly but only when nobody's looking?

I'm still wondering which single malts come in at 74 quid for 4 litres
(though I take the general point)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have used a commercial additive via a hose dispenser when flushing my
boat engine after use in slat water .....

That product is no more, and looked at the competition ...
http://www.salt-away.co.uk/

No doubt does a good job but at £74 for less than 4 Litre this is more
expensive than single malt.

Just wondering what would actually be in this, and whether I could make
up my own mix.

Trisodium Phosphate.

http://www.saltawayproducts.com/MSDSPage.htm

click on "PDF FILE" and look at page 5.

Interesting that the SDS was written in English (eg colour not color)
for the American regulator. Does that mean they actually can spell
properly but only when nobody's looking?

I'm still wondering which single malts come in at 74 quid for 4 litres
(though I take the general point)

well £19.47 a litre for SaltAway ... I was thinking of £14 a bottle of
Single malt ... but then my mistake ... the bottles are only 330ml

I don't drink so my error.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I only pay $30 for a litre of Southern comfort.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2014 20:30, Graham. wrote:

Trisodium Phosphate.

http://www.saltawayproducts.com/MSDSPage.htm

click on "PDF FILE" and look at page 5.

66% water ... £74 for 4L ... and more than half of it is water.

So you can see keen to find a home brew version.

the TSP quantity in mix is unknown, and the other key item 'corrosion
inhibitor' (Tall Oil, Sodium Salt) again don't know quantity of it.

OK ... the file gives
3% TSP (cheap and easy to buy)
12% Tall Oil, Sodium Salt (seems it's a by-product from wood pulp
cellulose extraction)
10% coupling agent.

So again maybe there is a Chemist lurking who could advise how I could
make up my home brew and what the 'coupling agent' would be to create
the mix.

I could make myself up 25Litre .. last me my lifetime.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 May 2014 23:00:20 +0100, Capitol wrote:

No doubt does a good job but at £74 for less than 4 Litre this

is
more expensive than single malt.

I don't think you'll get much of a malt for £13 for a 70cl

bottle,

Lidl?

Both interpetations of "get much of a malt" in Lidl I would of
thought. Both quantity and quality ... B-)

TBH what is suposed to happen if you don't flush the engine after
running in salt water? Surely by the time you've pottled out of the
salt via brackish into fresh the system would be well flushed?

Or are you lifting (trailering) the boat directly out of salt water
with the engine off and putting it into "dry" store on your drive or
WHY?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2014 23:02, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 27/05/2014 20:30, Graham. wrote:

Trisodium Phosphate.

http://www.saltawayproducts.com/MSDSPage.htm

click on "PDF FILE" and look at page 5.

66% water ... £74 for 4L ... and more than half of it is water.

So you can see keen to find a home brew version.

the TSP quantity in mix is unknown, and the other key item 'corrosion
inhibitor' (Tall Oil, Sodium Salt) again don't know quantity of it.

OK ... the file gives
3% TSP (cheap and easy to buy)
12% Tall Oil, Sodium Salt (seems it's a by-product from wood pulp
cellulose extraction)
10% coupling agent.

So again maybe there is a Chemist lurking who could advise how I could
make up my home brew and what the 'coupling agent' would be to create
the mix.

I could make myself up 25Litre .. last me my lifetime.

TSP is highly alkaline (PH12), whereas the product itself is slightly
acidic (PH6).
I imagine the sodium salt *of* tall oil (if that's what they mean) would
be a thick, soapy sludge.
I'm lurking but sadly I'm not a chemist

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2014 09:08, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Both interpetations of "get much of a malt" in Lidl I would of
thought. Both quantity and quality ... B-)

TBH what is suposed to happen if you don't flush the engine after
running in salt water? Surely by the time you've pottled out of the
salt via brackish into fresh the system would be well flushed?

Or are you lifting (trailering) the boat directly out of salt water
with the engine off and putting it into "dry" store on your drive or
WHY?

There is no pootling to brackish water ...

Boat is towed to Bay.. launched,used, recovered, towed back home, stoed
under cover in its boat shed.

I do 2 things regarding 'flush' ... the trailer is immersed in salt
water, not very good for brakes ... :-)

However it is fitted with a hub flush system ... immediately after
launch & again on recovery .. I connect up a hose to the trailer, this
is connected to a 30L plastic container in car which has a 12V pump
attached .. I flush though with a mix of water with Salt dissolving
additive (X-Salt, SaltAway etc)

Doing this at slipway means hubs are dry by time I get home so not put
away wet.

When I get home I connect engine drive up to a set of 'muffs' this is
fed by a hose and an in-line slat dissolving additive dispenser.
I also spray all metal parts of trailer with this mix.

Been doing this for about 15 years ... but coming to end of current
batch of X-Salt .... that company no longer in business, and alternative
is £74 for under 3.8 Litre.

As salt is NaCl and inherently soluble, thought I could save some
money if I could make up my own 'home brew' mix, of salt dissolver &
anti-corrosion mix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2014 09:48, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

I looked up the tall oil ... and from what I found it is a soap sludge
left over wood pulp production.
Description is "Tall oil, sodium salt;BLACK LIQUOR SOAP" or "Sodium
salt of tall-oil"
With a pH of 9 and referred to as 'tall-oil soap'

http://www.epa.gov/hpv/pubs/summaries/tofars/c13056.pdf
seems useful guide

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 May 2014 12:59:19 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:

I flush though with a mix of water with Salt dissolving additive
(X-Salt, SaltAway etc)

I must admit to struggling with the concept of a salt (as in sodium
chloride) dissolving additive. Sodium chloride disolves very well
without any help... Snake oil bell is chiming at least for the
brakes that are washed down whilst still wet and a good hose/pressure
wash of the trailer on return should be good enough for that.

Inside the engine could be a bit different where the salt could get
"baked on", along with silt and algae etc.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2014 15:25, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 2014 12:59:19 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:

I flush though with a mix of water with Salt dissolving additive
(X-Salt, SaltAway etc)

I must admit to struggling with the concept of a salt (as in sodium
chloride) dissolving additive. Sodium chloride disolves very well
without any help... Snake oil bell is chiming at least for the
brakes that are washed down whilst still wet and a good hose/pressure
wash of the trailer on return should be good enough for that.

Inside the engine could be a bit different where the salt could get
"baked on", along with silt and algae etc.

The consensus from most 'trailer boaters' is that as soon as you take
trailer out of salt water ... salt will start corroding the brake mechanism.
Flushing immediately prevents this.
All the parts that get dunked in salt water are galvanized on US
trailers ... not so in UK.
Several of the boat sites rave about Salt dissolving additives ...

I suppose without independent testing difficult to prove.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2014 13:05, Rick Hughes wrote:
[...]

I think it was that fat bloke who used to run ICI that said chemical
companies need to sell their waste products, and I think maybe Tall Oil
falls in that category. Soaps have generally been superseded by
surfactants, which can be tailor made for the various applications.
Given that salt is so freely soluble in water, it's difficult to
understand why anything else is required

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:13:09 PM UTC+1, stuart noble wrote:

Given that salt is so freely soluble in water, it's difficult to
understand why anything else is required

Quite. Adding (tall oil) soap will improve dirt & oil removal to a degree. Soaps are pretty cheap, but encourage corrosion.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2014 23:02, Capitol wrote:
I only pay $30 for a litre of Southern comfort.

UK Taxes. I don't know which dollar you mean, but it isn't over here.

(Taiwan dollars would make that about 75p, or less than 1 US$, IIRC...)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:04:13 PM UTC+1, Rick Hughes wrote:
I have used a commercial additive via a hose dispenser when flushing my

boat engine after use in slat water .....

That product is no more, and looked at the competition ...

http://www.salt-away.co.uk/

No doubt does a good job but at �74 for less than 4 Litre this is more

expensive than single malt.

Just wondering what would actually be in this, and whether I could make

up my own mix.

As well as soap and solvents, other additive possibly silver nitrate

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/117...an-Evaporation

Probably make a few litres from 20g

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVER-NIT...item3f36ede212

Decanoic acid looks like might work wrong way round in warm engine

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/ne...h/18031105.asp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have used a commercial additive via a hose dispenser when flushing my

boat engine after use in slat water .....

That product is no more, and looked at the competition ...

http://www.salt-away.co.uk/

No doubt does a good job but at �74 for less than 4 Litre this is more

expensive than single malt.

Just wondering what would actually be in this, and whether I could make

up my own mix.

Trisodium Phosphate.

http://www.saltawayproducts.com/MSDSPage.htm

click on "PDF FILE" and look at page 5.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

MSDS has changed , used to show sulfamic acid apparently

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=16634
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2014 03:10, Adam Aglionby wrote:

MSDS has changed , used to show sulfamic acid apparently

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=16634

Followed some threads from that link .... lots of people raving about
using vinegar (20% strength) in a 10% mix with flush water.

Maybe they previously used sulfamic acid as a way to get it acidic.

Now PH is only mildly acidic from the TSP

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rick Hughes writes:
The consensus from most 'trailer boaters' is that as soon as you take
trailer out of salt water ... salt will start corroding the brake mechanism.
Flushing immediately prevents this.
All the parts that get dunked in salt water are galvanized on US
trailers ... not so in UK.
Several of the boat sites rave about Salt dissolving additives ...

I suppose without independent testing difficult to prove.

Only thing I can think of better than water for dissolving salt
is hot water...

Some additives might bond to the steel and prevent corrosion (like
central heating inhibitors do). Would need to be something which
doesn't 'lubricate' braking surfaces, and doesn't count as a
polutant when washed into the waterway.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 May 2014 18:29:56 +0100, Rick Hughes
wrote:

Several of the boat sites rave about Salt dissolving additives ...

What are these boats sites? It sounds like an interesting hobby, I'd
like to find out more.

Thanks,
Stephen.

New Forum at GW [email protected] Woodworking 10 May 6th 12 01:03 PM
OT...car forum Curt Home Repair 6 November 3rd 11 02:49 PM
Is this a metalworking forum or a political forum??? KG Metalworking 13 January 26th 10 12:21 AM
Forum [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 November 9th 07 06:09 AM
A very odd forum Eric Electronics Repair 8 March 3rd 06 07:01 AM