Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dripping fancy kitchen tap

We have an IKEA tap, Oxskar:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/759...-4.html#manual.

It drips.

I've taken the thing apart, but couldn't even get into the most intimate
parts of it, so I've not been able to repair it.

Surely it must be possible to replace the disc or whatever has worn out!

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
We have an IKEA tap, Oxskar:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/759...-4.html#manual.

It drips.

I've taken the thing apart, but couldn't even get into the most intimate
parts of it, so I've not been able to repair it.

Surely it must be possible to replace the disc or whatever has worn out!

Daniele

These sort of taps have a non-dismantleable cartridge that contains the
ceramic disks.
You need a new cartridge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
We have an IKEA tap, Oxskar:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/759...-4.html#manual.

It drips.

I've taken the thing apart, but couldn't even get into the most intimate
parts of it, so I've not been able to repair it.

Surely it must be possible to replace the disc or whatever has worn out!

These sort of taps have a non-dismantleable cartridge that contains the
ceramic disks.
You need a new cartridge.

I suspected as much - though my dismantling could only get as far as big
lump of metal weighing about 700g, that I could see no way of getting
into!

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2014 17:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
maybe its just limescale though, seems a bit odd that one cannot
even get in to clean it.

For a dripping bathroom tap, fed from the cold water tank, opening
and closing the tap fully a few times seems to clean the disc
enough to stop it dripping for a few months.

For a dripping kitchen sink tap, on mains pressure, I was able to
dismantle the cartridge and pack out the disc with plastic sheet
cut from a shopping bag [1]. (This provides a bit more pressure on
the sealing surfaces.)

Attempts to buy a new cartridge from the fancy plumbing showroom at
my local builders' merchants were thwarted by claims of "We don't
stock 'em, they never leak".

Again, this only kept it going for a few months before needing to
be repeated. Eventually the sink suffered an unrelated crack (not
me, guv!) and we bought a tap with traditional washers to go with
the new sink.

[1] An earlier tip from this group. Thank you.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(D.M. Procida) wrote in

:

harryagain wrote:

"D.M. Procida" wrote
in message
.
uk...
We have an IKEA tap, Oxskar:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/759...266584-4.html#
manual.

It drips.

I've taken the thing apart, but couldn't even get into the most
intimate parts of it, so I've not been able to repair it.

Surely it must be possible to replace the disc or whatever has worn
out!

These sort of taps have a non-dismantleable cartridge that contains
the ceramic disks.
You need a new cartridge.

I suspected as much - though my dismantling could only get as far as
big lump of metal weighing about 700g, that I could see no way of
getting into!

Daniele

http://www.shop.lunns.net/ceramic-disc-valves-42-c.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

These sort of taps have a non-dismantleable cartridge that contains
the ceramic disks.
You need a new cartridge.

I suspected as much - though my dismantling could only get as far as
big lump of metal weighing about 700g, that I could see no way of
getting into!

http://www.shop.lunns.net/ceramic-disc-valves-42-c.asp

Thanks, but: if only...

Here's a picture of the tap:
http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/we.../1000x1000.jpg

The part I'm unable to dismantle is a great lump of metal nearly the
same diameter and length as the main body of the device shown in the
picture.

I'm not sure what's inside it, but it's a mixer tap controlled by a
single joystick that moves in two dimensions. Perhaps it's some weirdo
custom design that I won't find a spare part for, or perhaps inside
there's a standard part. But I can't get inside.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
We have an IKEA tap, Oxskar:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/759...-4.html#manual.

It drips.

I've taken the thing apart, but couldn't even get into the most intimate
parts of it, so I've not been able to repair it.

Surely it must be possible to replace the disc or whatever has worn out!

Daniele

The ceramic rarely wears out but the seal relies on pressure from an
oring or some such thing, sometimes replacing the o ring (sometimes
funny shaped) will do the trick.
Most of the units are dismantable sometimes this is done to reverse the
handle direction on some units
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2014 00:10, D.M. Procida wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

I'd guess (having had to do something similar with tap from Lidl) that
the guggins are held in by a quite small screw, more to locate than
support. Then, the main part should drop out - mine was a very tight
tolerance and took some persuading.

Hasten to add and again and as usual, leaked once I'd fixed it ;-)

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to F Murtz, JonL wrote:
I have the same tap and it leaks too; here is the cartridge, which costs about
£45 in the UK.
It has Artikel Nr 96339000 embossed on it.
To get to it undo a very small allen grub key on the side of the body, then
unscrew the big nut, then pull apart.
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/7r

Fancy a new motor? John Rumm UK diy 88 May 18th 12 06:21 AM
OT You fancy one of these then? harry Home Repair 10 October 3rd 10 05:48 PM
FANCY shock current UK diy 0 August 9th 09 12:57 PM
6 years old Kitchen Aid refrigerator frost and dripping problems T. T. Home Repair 2 November 26th 06 10:51 PM
Dripping Sound in Kitchen Drain nr Home Repair 1 November 12th 06 12:29 AM