Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sealing around a soil pipe through a conservatory

I have a problem with a leaking conservatory and need some advice before I tackle the suppliers (again).

My recently had a conservatory built against the back wall of my house. The wall has a soil pipe running up it so this has been boxed in and some sealing applied between the top of the conservatory and the pipe. However, the sealing isn't working as water is appearing on the floor from where the pipe is boxed in.

They've been back once to try and fix it but it's still leaking. Having now had a closer look at what they've done, the seem to have sealed around the pipe with flashing tape (presumably the bitumen backed stuff).

Is this an appropriate way to seal it? It sounds like a bodge to me but I don't know enough about the matter to argue with them. Any suggestions of on a more professional way to fix the leak would be gratefully received.

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

matthelliwell wrote:
[...]

You are right, it is a bodge. it needs a properly designed flashing collar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is this an appropriate way to seal it? It sounds like a bodge to me
but I don't know enough about the matter to argue with them. Any
suggestions of on a more professional way to fix the leak would be
gratefully received.

Matt

You are right, it is a bodge. it needs a properly designed flashing
collar.

Is the soil pipe plastic (smooth) or cast iron (rough). It will have an
affect on how readily it can be properly sealed I think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 May 2014 10:32:30 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

Is the soil pipe plastic (smooth) or cast iron (rough). It will have an
affect on how readily it can be properly sealed I think.

It's cast iron.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 May 2014 10:32:30 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
You are right, it is a bodge. it needs a properly designed flashing
collar.

Searching for things is so much easier when you know what they're called. It looks like a normal flashing collar could be fitted as it couldn't be slipped down over the top of the pipe due to other pipes joining it. However, I've found some split ones that can be retrofitted which look like they'd do a much better job than the current mess.

The supplier is coming around on Tuesday so I'll discuss the approach with them.

If they'd just said that they can't fit the conservatory without moving the soil pipe, I would've paid them to move it and we'd all be a lot happier.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

matthelliwell wrote in
:

On Friday, 23 May 2014 10:32:30 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
You are right, it is a bodge. it needs a properly designed flashing
collar.

Searching for things is so much easier when you know what they're
called. It looks like a normal flashing collar could be fitted as it
couldn't be slipped down over the top of the pipe due to other pipes
joining it. However, I've found some split ones that can be
retrofitted which look like they'd do a much better job than the
current mess.

The supplier is coming around on Tuesday so I'll discuss the approach
with them.

If they'd just said that they can't fit the conservatory without
moving the soil pipe, I would've paid them to move it and we'd all be
a lot happier.

Matt

Could you change it to plastic? More chance of a seal.

Leak proofing round a soil pipe when building a conservatory bp UK diy 9 May 3rd 18 03:19 PM
WC overflow going into a sink waste-pipe, soil pipe or shower cubicle? James B UK diy 14 May 19th 07 02:06 PM
Sealing soil pipe F UK diy 23 September 13th 06 09:17 AM
Leak at plastic soil pipe to clay soil pipe join Darren UK diy 2 October 12th 04 09:49 PM
Converting soil pipe access panel to allow 40mm pipe Scott UK diy 1 August 12th 03 10:14 PM