Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which plasterboard fixing

Was asked to fit a couple of IKEA LACK shelves - the floating kind of
shelf with hidden fixings. Anyways it seems that these no longer come
with any fixings - the instructions just exhort one to consult your
supplier.

The shelves have a keyhole that slots over an exposed screw head. In
solid walls this is fine - you just tighten the screws up until the
right amount of shaft is exposed and drop the shelf over them.

Fixing to plasterboard is another problem. Most plasterboard fixings
rely on the screw being tightened to clamp the fixing from behind. This
is not feasible as the screw needs to be left protruding.

The only type of fixings that I have used that do not do this are the
little die-cast screws with a large thread that screw into the wall
first and then screw the actual screw into them.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-metal-50mm-self-drill-pack-of-100/27238

I am not convinced though that these will not pull through with the
forces placed by the shelf. There is nothing behind the plasterboard to
spread the load.

I there any fixings that I have missed that combine something behind the
plasterboard to spread the load with the ability to hold fast when the
screw is not fully tightened?

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May scribbled...

[...]

I've never had a problem with either of these

Fischer Plasterboard Plug LDF 4mm - code 81956
Fischer Plasterboard Plugs HDF 4mm - code 58219

Both available from Screwfix

Half the price of the Spit Driva TP12 Panhead Metal which can make a
mess of the plasterboard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2014 09:06, Jabba wrote:

I've never had a problem with either of these

Fischer Plasterboard Plug LDF 4mm - code 81956
Fischer Plasterboard Plugs HDF 4mm - code 58219

Both available from Screwfix

Half the price of the Spit Driva TP12 Panhead Metal which can make a
mess of the plasterboard.

I've tried both of those but they hold fast by virtue of the screw being
tightened against the wall. Can't do that for these shelves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2014 08:58, Andrew May wrote:
[...]

Oddly the very pasting of the link may have solved the problem. The
linked page also shows these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hollow-wall-anchor-5-x-43mm-6-13mm-pack-of-10/18266

Has anyone any experience of them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article , Andrew May
wrote:
Oddly the very pasting of the link may have solved the
problem. The linked page also shows these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hollow-wall-anchor-5-x-43mm-6-13mm-pack-of-10/18266

Has anyone any experience of them?

I've used these a lot - ideally you need a tool to fix them
firmly, but we've got all our clothes hanging on them in our
walk in wardrobe.

John

--
John Mulrooney

The good we stand on is our truth and honesty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-me...lf-drill-pack-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hollow-wal...m-6-13mm-pack-

of-10/18266

Has anyone any experience of them?

Yes excellent things, it may seem rash but get the setting tool as well
it makes their use so much easier!

Avpx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2014 09:17, Andrew May wrote:
[...]

I've used them regularly - they will solve your problem but it's worth
buying or making a pulling tool to "set" them - if you do it by
tightening the screw then the body turns and fails to lock into the
wall. Aldi had a setting tool in a box of wall anchors recently - less
than £10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Hollow wall anchors, inserted with the setting tool:

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh...view_siz e=20

Basically once the sleeve is expanded, its locked in place and the bolt
can be set at any position.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 May 2014 08:58:50 +0100, Andrew May wrote:

Was asked to fit a couple of IKEA LACK shelves - the floating kind of
shelf with hidden fixings. Anyways it seems that these no longer come
with any fixings - the instructions just exhort one to consult your
supplier.

Not the end of the world, because the fixings usually provided are cheese
bin-fodder anyway...

The shelves have a keyhole that slots over an exposed screw head. In
solid walls this is fine - you just tighten the screws up until the
right amount of shaft is exposed and drop the shelf over them.

Fixing to plasterboard is another problem. Most plasterboard fixings
rely on the screw being tightened to clamp the fixing from behind. This
is not feasible as the screw needs to be left protruding.

I am not convinced though that these will not pull through with the
forces placed by the shelf. There is nothing behind the plasterboard to
spread the load.

I there any fixings that I have missed that combine something behind the
plasterboard to spread the load with the ability to hold fast when the
screw is not fully tightened?

Mmm. I used to have one of those self-same shelves in the office, on a
plasterboard wall. It was _laden_ with reasonably heavy guff for three-
four years, and never moved a millimetre. BUT... it didn't fit in the way
you describe... There was a steel plate which screwed solidly to the
wall, with steel "prongs" protruding, which the "wood" slid over from the
front, and was secured into the bottom.

The assembly PDF on Ikea's website shows that as still being the case.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/assembly_i...ons/lack-wall-
shelf__AA-10128-8_pub.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hollow-wall-anchor-5-x-43mm-6-13mm-pack-of-10/18266

Has anyone any experience of them?

The ones I've had from Unifix have a setting tool with them, but I've
made my own because it works better. You have to be careful not to
overtighten these fixings. In plasterboard I would not hang a great
amount of weight on them. The hole has to be exactly the right size.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 May 2014 09:06:29 UTC+1, Jabba wrote:

Fischer Plasterboard Plug LDF 4mm - code 81956
Fischer Plasterboard Plugs HDF 4mm - code 58219

Half the price of the Spit Driva TP12 Panhead Metal which can make a
mess of the plasterboard.

Whereas I much prefer the TP12 metal fixings. I've never found any issue with them but then I do always drill a pilot hole as a matter of course so perhaps that's the key.

In the OP's instance however I'd echo the recommendation to use hollow wall anchors - they're about as a strong a board fixing as you'll get. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily the application I've seen them holding up heavy kitchen cupboards and radiators before.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2014 11:01, Adrian wrote:
[...]

I think that is the case for the larger shelves. These are no more than
300mm wide. They were going to used as bedside shelves so just taking a
lamp, a clock and a glass of water. I was surprised at the fixing but
then IKEA seem to be constantly 'refining' their designs to make them
cheaper to produce.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Seconded for the wall anchors but, IME, it is best to equip yourself
with a variety of fixings to meet different circumstances. In
particular, if the gap behind the plasterboard is small the wall anchors
cannot be inserted far enough to work. This can be because the board is
too close to the blockwork behind it, or you happen to have hit a stud
or blob of plaster behind the board. Judicious tapping or drilling a
small pilot hole to check may help. Sod's law says it doesn't.

Chris K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2014 10:07, nick wrote:
[...]

ALDI have a pack of fixings including the tool for £9:99 at the moment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2014 17:21, ChrisK wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I've used wall anchors on dot n dab walls. Trick is to drill the hole
deep enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2014 10:07, nick wrote:
[...]

echo ... echo ... echo ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Andrew May wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hollow-wall-anchor/18266

ALDI have a pack of fixings including the tool for £9:99 at the moment.

Anyway the setting tool is available all year round for £7.75 from
toolsatan with fixings around the £1-3 mark depending on size required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2014 10:05, wrote:
On 20/05/2014 10:07, nick wrote:
[...]

I know what you're up to. You read my post & traveled back in time by 5
hours. I do wish you would stop doing that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , nick wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2014 09:17:08 +0100, Andrew May wrote:
Oddly the very pasting of the link may have solved the problem. The
linked page also shows these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hollow-wal...m-6-13mm-pack-

of-10/18266

Has anyone any experience of them?

Yes excellent things, it may seem rash but get the setting tool as well
it makes their use so much easier!

I've used a few without a setting tool with no problem. (But if there's
a set with cheap tool on offer, might as well get it anyway.)

You do need to check the plasterboard thickness and get the right size.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I've used the metal self-drive screws (url above) successfully on dot and
dab walls. Once the thread was started into the plasterboard I had to
break off the drill tip part to be able to drive the screw flush with the
plasterboard. My small (~0.5 kg) surround sound speakers are each supported
by a couple of these screws and have been up for nearly 3 years.

Generally the fittings designed to open out behind the plasterboard won't
have enough space to work on dot and dab walls (I've tried a number!),
unless you fancy The Medway Handyman's approach of drilling out the solid
wall behind the plasterboard. (Dave, I can see this would work with hollow
wall anchor fittings. Have you tried this with spring toggle fittings,
which would seem to be less likely to work?)

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk

Plasterboard fixing ? Rick Hughes[_3_] UK diy 9 March 20th 11 09:31 PM
Fixing plasterboard Joseph Craine UK diy 1 January 22nd 10 01:13 AM
Plasterboard re-fixing PeterC UK diy 12 August 17th 09 09:31 AM
fixing foamex to plasterboard kd UK diy 2 September 9th 05 09:42 AM
Fixing plasterboard kafkaian UK diy 6 February 13th 05 03:38 PM