Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wanted timer module - what's it called ?

HI Folks

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called
(so having trouble finding it online)

For the new kiln - it'd be interesting to have a simple recorder that
displays 'heating hours' per firing cycle (i.e. the actual time that the
heating elements have been powered on) - as this would give a measure of
the actual electricity costs / usage.

So - I'm imagining a little (Chinese!) pcb with 7-segment led displays,
that counts the total number of minutes an input has been 'closed'.
Also to have a 'Reset' switch or input...

Anybody seen one of these (I've been scouring eBay..) and can point me
in the right direction, please ?

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called
(so having trouble finding it online)

For the new kiln - it'd be interesting to have a simple recorder that
displays 'heating hours' per firing cycle (i.e. the actual time that the
heating elements have been powered on) - as this would give a measure of
the actual electricity costs / usage.

So - I'm imagining a little (Chinese!) pcb with 7-segment led displays,
that counts the total number of minutes an input has been 'closed'.
Also to have a 'Reset' switch or input...

Anybody seen one of these (I've been scouring eBay..) and can point me in
the right direction, please ?

Thanks
Adrian

How about an old fashioned mains mechanical clock?

This one's a bit pricey but I'm sure you could find cheaper ones. ;-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161290247534

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message

[...]

Like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hours-Run-...item27d8047fa0

or:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minature-H...item258df37fde

or:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minature-H...item258df37fde

or:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elapsed-ti...item2a3c771a3c

ebay abounds with them !

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

No Cigar I'm afraid Andrew!
None of the ones you show (or I've been able to find) have a reset option.

I've been looking for one of these for so long without success that the
target project has gone away.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message
HI Folks

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called
(so having trouble finding it online)

For the new kiln - it'd be interesting to have a simple recorder that
displays 'heating hours' per firing cycle (i.e. the actual time that the
heating elements have been powered on) - as this would give a measure of
the actual electricity costs / usage.

So - I'm imagining a little (Chinese!) pcb with 7-segment led displays,
that counts the total number of minutes an input has been 'closed'.
Also to have a 'Reset' switch or input...

Anybody seen one of these (I've been scouring eBay..) and can point me in
the right direction, please ?

Would anything from here work?

http://www.theowl.com/

I have not looked it was just a suggestion.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called
(so having trouble finding it online)

resettable elapsed hour or run time meter

I think this is one such, but it's RS pricing not CE (China Ebay) pricing.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/hour-meters/4333821/

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fit a 13A spur socket and plug in a mechanical timer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian Brentnall
writes
HI Folks

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called
(so having trouble finding it online)

For the new kiln - it'd be interesting to have a simple recorder that
displays 'heating hours' per firing cycle (i.e. the actual time that
the heating elements have been powered on) - as this would give a
measure of the actual electricity costs / usage.

So - I'm imagining a little (Chinese!) pcb with 7-segment led displays,
that counts the total number of minutes an input has been 'closed'.
Also to have a 'Reset' switch or input...

Sideways a bit... you can buy reconditioned single phase meters for 25
notes or so.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote

HI Folks

Wot abart us folkys ?

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called (so
having trouble finding it online)

For the new kiln - it'd be interesting to have a simple recorder that
displays 'heating hours' per firing cycle (i.e. the actual time that the
heating elements have been powered on) - as this would give a measure of
the actual electricity costs / usage.

There are plenty of plug in devices that record the power
used by a particular device plugged into it. Cheap too.

Generally called power meters in ebay etc.

Useful to include the word consumption in the search terms
but that also gets hits with low power consumption devices
that aren't what you want.

So - I'm imagining a little (Chinese!) pcb with 7-segment led displays,
that counts the total number of minutes an input has been 'closed'.
Also to have a 'Reset' switch or input...

Anybody seen one of these (I've been scouring eBay..)

There are plenty of them there, you just need to use the right keywords.

and can point me in the right direction, please ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electricit...item19ec2703bc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2014 16:17, Tim+ wrote:
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

Hmmm - different g
Not quite what I had in mind, though...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2014 17:51, Bob Minchin wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

Got it in one! - it's the 'reset' facility that seems to be missing....
Having seen all the other clever little Chinese modules available - I'd
have thought there'd be one to do this....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2014 18:27, Capitol wrote:
Fit a 13A spur socket and plug in a mechanical timer.

Could do - but it's kind of 'clunky'....
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2014 18:14, ARW wrote:
"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message
HI Folks

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called
(so having trouble finding it online)

For the new kiln - it'd be interesting to have a simple recorder that
displays 'heating hours' per firing cycle (i.e. the actual time that
the heating elements have been powered on) - as this would give a
measure of the actual electricity costs / usage.

So - I'm imagining a little (Chinese!) pcb with 7-segment led displays,
that counts the total number of minutes an input has been 'closed'.
Also to have a 'Reset' switch or input...

Anybody seen one of these (I've been scouring eBay..) and can point me
in the right direction, please ?

Would anything from here work?

http://www.theowl.com/

I have not looked it was just a suggestion.

Thanks Adam - I guess it probably would - though I think it'd involve
a few extra button-presses to see the result...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2014 20:01, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Adrian Brentnall
writes
HI Folks

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called
(so having trouble finding it online)

For the new kiln - it'd be interesting to have a simple recorder that
displays 'heating hours' per firing cycle (i.e. the actual time that
the heating elements have been powered on) - as this would give a
measure of the actual electricity costs / usage.

So - I'm imagining a little (Chinese!) pcb with 7-segment led displays,
that counts the total number of minutes an input has been 'closed'.
Also to have a 'Reset' switch or input...

Sideways a bit... you can buy reconditioned single phase meters for 25
notes or so.

Probably. Can you reset them ?
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2014 20:25, Rod Speed wrote:
Adrian Brentnall wrote

HI Folks

Wot abart us folkys ?

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called
(so having trouble finding it online)

For the new kiln - it'd be interesting to have a simple recorder that
displays 'heating hours' per firing cycle (i.e. the actual time that
the heating elements have been powered on) - as this would give a
measure of the actual electricity costs / usage.

There are plenty of plug in devices that record the power
used by a particular device plugged into it. Cheap too.

Generally called power meters in ebay etc.

Yebbut - this particular device pulls 7.5kw - which is a bit much for
your standard 13A plug!
Hence the need for a 'thing' that counts time, so I can then work out
total power consumption as time x 7.5kw

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2014 18:20, wrote:
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called
(so having trouble finding it online)

resettable elapsed hour or run time meter

I think this is one such, but it's RS pricing not CE (China Ebay) pricing.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/hour-meters/4333821/

Owain

That's the kind of functionality....
not so sure about the price though g
One to consider - now just need to find the same thing from China for
1/10 the price!
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message
On 13/05/2014 20:25, Rod Speed wrote:
Adrian Brentnall wrote

HI Folks

Wot abart us folkys ?

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called
(so having trouble finding it online)

For the new kiln - it'd be interesting to have a simple recorder that
displays 'heating hours' per firing cycle (i.e. the actual time that
the heating elements have been powered on) - as this would give a
measure of the actual electricity costs / usage.

There are plenty of plug in devices that record the power
used by a particular device plugged into it. Cheap too.

Generally called power meters in ebay etc.

Yebbut - this particular device pulls 7.5kw - which is a bit much for your
standard 13A plug!

Just get one that is wired in instead of plugged in.

Hence the need for a 'thing' that counts time, so I can then work out
total power consumption as time x 7.5kw

Easier to just wire a consumption meter in. You have
to wire in timer anyway and those are harder to find.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

No. They are usually the multiple dial types. You could keep a record of
the reading at the end of each session or weekly etc.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 May 2014 22:13:58 +0100, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Sideways a bit... you can buy reconditioned single phase meters

for 25
notes or so.

Probably. Can you reset them ?

Not normally but is it so difficult to subtract the start reading
from the end reading? It'll also be measuring the actual energy used
rather than some calculated value based on two assumed values (actual
mains voltage and power drawn by the elements).

eBay seems to have many meters available for £10 - £20. Even DIN rail
mount meters are about.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2014 08:51, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 13 May 2014 22:13:58 +0100, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Sideways a bit... you can buy reconditioned single phase meters

for 25
notes or so.

Probably. Can you reset them ?

Not normally but is it so difficult to subtract the start reading
from the end reading? It'll also be measuring the actual energy used
rather than some calculated value based on two assumed values (actual
mains voltage and power drawn by the elements).

eBay seems to have many meters available for £10 - £20. Even DIN rail
mount meters are about.

OK - yes - simple subtraction is possible grin
Thinking about it overnight, the control relays on the homwbrew kiln
controller have spare voltage-free contacts available (closing when the
elements are energised) - possibly the quickest way to use these is a
simple pic board that sees the closed contacts and increments a timer.
I've got a prototyping board kicking about here somewhere...

The background to all of this is that the new kiln has ceramic fibre
insulation, while the old one had conventional firebricks.
(Small thermal mass to heat up, vs big thermal mass that's slow to cool
down)

The same model of controller is used on both kilns - and it seems that
the one on the ceramic kiln is cycling more frequently than the one on
the brick kiln. At the end of the firing schedule, the controller
displays 'elapsed program time' - but not 'actual element firing time' -
so I was curious to know the power consumption of the new kiln over the
whole cycle.

Doesn't need to be ultra-accurate - and I'd rather not wrestle with that
darn 6mm2 cable again to connect anything 'inline'..

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was going to say that. Many of these modules were about a few years ago,
but seem not to be now. One was a bit like a tape counter that went one
digit every minute and the slowest one was days. It had a reset button. No
idea where is was used, but not seen any for sale recently.
I often think that technology has replaced things that were simple and
useful with stuff that is software controlled and hard to use for anything
other than what it was made for.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tim+" wrote in message
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2014 09:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was going to say that. Many of these modules were about a few years ago,
but seem not to be now. One was a bit like a tape counter that went one
digit every minute and the slowest one was days. It had a reset button. No
idea where is was used, but not seen any for sale recently.
I often think that technology has replaced things that were simple and
useful with stuff that is software controlled and hard to use for anything
other than what it was made for.

Brian

I think it's called 'progress' Brian! grin
Certainly makes the business of 'repurposing' bits reclaimed from old
electronic kit _much_ harder...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:00:31 PM UTC+1, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called

(so having trouble finding it online)

For the new kiln - it'd be interesting to have a simple recorder that

displays 'heating hours' per firing cycle (i.e. the actual time that the

heating elements have been powered on) - as this would give a measure of

the actual electricity costs / usage.

So - I'm imagining a little (Chinese!) pcb with 7-segment led displays,

that counts the total number of minutes an input has been 'closed'.

Also to have a 'Reset' switch or input...

Anybody seen one of these (I've been scouring eBay..) and can point me

in the right direction, please ?

Thanks

Adrian

Why not just buy an electric meter?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOTAL-GENE...item51b82424bd

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2014 15:03, wrote:
[...]

Thanks.
It's a possibility, but it'd mean breaking into the 6mm2 cable that I
just installed recently - and it doesn't really fulfil the 'easily
resettable' requirement...

As I said somewhere else, there's a pair of volt-free contacts in the
power switching box - and I think I can persuade a spare PIC board
that's kicking around here to count the hours / seconds that the
contacts are closed... It could even do that maths to convert that time
to kWh and Euros!

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 14, 2014 4:12:25 PM UTC+1, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On 14/05/2014 15:03, wrote:

[...]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Energy-Mon...item258e74aba1

Here is another option. Simply connect the clamp around one conductor of the circuit to the kiln where convenient, positioning the monitor wherever you like.

Philip

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

HI Philip
I've got a similar device here - but I've been so tidy with the cabling
that there's not really room to squeeze the clamp over one conductor...
Thanks for looking, though...

All that's really needed is a minute / hour timer that's stopped /
started by an external switch.
I've just remembered that I've got some analogue battery clocks modules
in the workshop -
I guess one of those would do at a pinch - simply wire my volt-free
relay contacts inline with the battery.. - manually set the hands to
'midnight' to reset the clock...

Not pretty - but I guess it'll do the job (quickly!) g
Thanks
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called

Do it then, and you'll be able to read it on the charge sheet.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2014 20:59, Bill Wright wrote:
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called

Do it then, and you'll be able to read it on the charge sheet.

Bill

Ah - somebody who shares my sense of humour!
Been having a bit of fuss round here lately - was arranging to meet up
with the local Police-lady who's dealing with it...
She says "Can't do tomorrow morning - I'm on court"
Little voice in my ear said "Ah - hope you get off" -
but (luckily) common-sense prevailed and I just said 'OK'...

Got to be careful!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2014 16:00, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called
(so having trouble finding it online)

For the new kiln - it'd be interesting to have a simple recorder that
displays 'heating hours' per firing cycle (i.e. the actual time that the
heating elements have been powered on) - as this would give a measure of
the actual electricity costs / usage.

So - I'm imagining a little (Chinese!) pcb with 7-segment led displays,
that counts the total number of minutes an input has been 'closed'.
Also to have a 'Reset' switch or input...

Anybody seen one of these (I've been scouring eBay..) and can point me
in the right direction, please ?

Thanks
Adrian

Try:
http://www.chromalock.com/category-1...l_Devices.aspx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called

Do it then, and you'll be able to read it on the charge sheet.

Bill

Ah - somebody who shares my sense of humour!
Been having a bit of fuss round here lately - was arranging to meet up
with the local Police-lady who's dealing with it...
She says "Can't do tomorrow morning - I'm on court"
Little voice in my ear said "Ah - hope you get off" -
but (luckily) common-sense prevailed and I just said 'OK'...

Got to be careful!

As contractors to the prison service the possibilities are endless.
"Where's Bill today?"
"He's in the nick." etc etc.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2014 23:26, Gone Fishin wrote:
[...]

Thanks - but it says 'non-resettable'...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John B wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the link.
It does make reference to a minimum reset time (a pulse, presumably).
Low volt supply isn't a problem - got that already in the control box.

On a side issue - which clown (re)designed the CPC website ?
On that page, there's links to 'Further Information' and 'Catalogue page'.

The catalogue page link takes you to a page in their whizzy 'flip the
pages over with your mouse gosh that's cool' online catalogue - but the
page they link to is full of wall-mount boxes and enclosures - no
mention of hours meters.

The further info link takes you to a page on Curtis Digital Hours Meters
- which doesn't include this pcb-mount model.

How the **** do they expect to sell anything ??

Oddly - feeding "pcb mount hour meter" into eBay shows up a UK-based
supplier selling the item for more money that CPC - now that's got to be
a first! grin

No info on how / what the reset function might be - though an online
copy of the datasheet says that Reset is 'optional on 701'...

Thanks - food for thought
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John B wrote:
[...]

Apologies John - I just looked at the pictures doh!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John B wrote:
[...]

Same item on the Farnell site gives better datasheet
http://uk.farnell.com/curtis-instrum...dule/dp/516284
Just use a momentary pushbutton switch for the reset.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 May 2014 16:00:31 +0100, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

HI Folks

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called
(so having trouble finding it online)

For the new kiln - it'd be interesting to have a simple recorder that
displays 'heating hours' per firing cycle (i.e. the actual time that the
heating elements have been powered on) - as this would give a measure of
the actual electricity costs / usage.

So - I'm imagining a little (Chinese!) pcb with 7-segment led displays,
that counts the total number of minutes an input has been 'closed'. Also
to have a 'Reset' switch or input...

Anybody seen one of these (I've been scouring eBay..) and can point me
in the right direction, please ?

Thanks Adrian

It's called a Resettable hours run meter or Resettable hour meter.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/hour-meters/3076814/

http://cpc.farnell.com/curtis-instru...-reset-p-b/dp/
MC00254?in_merch=Products%20From%20This%20Range
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 May 2014 19:58:47 GMT, mick wrote:

On Tue, 13 May 2014 16:00:31 +0100, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

HI Folks

I know exactly what I want it to do - just don't know what it's called
(so having trouble finding it online)

For the new kiln - it'd be interesting to have a simple recorder that
displays 'heating hours' per firing cycle (i.e. the actual time that the
heating elements have been powered on) - as this would give a measure of
the actual electricity costs / usage.

So - I'm imagining a little (Chinese!) pcb with 7-segment led displays,
that counts the total number of minutes an input has been 'closed'. Also
to have a 'Reset' switch or input...

Anybody seen one of these (I've been scouring eBay..) and can point me
in the right direction, please ?

Thanks Adrian

It's called a Resettable hours run meter or Resettable hour meter.

Yep, it's as simple as that! The non-resettable type, as used on
diesel powered gensets (emergency standby or shipboard gensets), are
known simply as "Hour Meters".

They're used to facilitate periodic servicing in the same way a
vehicle's odometer is used to represent approximate engine run time
servicing intervals. In both cases there'll also be service tasks
based on time intervals for when the machinery is under-used.

For ICE powered gensets, the Hour Meter might be replaced with a more
accurate revolutions counter to determine the servicing intervals.

Although for this use, constant rpm, an Hour Meter can be just as
effective, it's when the engine might be used to drive a slightly less
powerful 50Hz generator than a 60Hz one that the revolutions counter
comes into its own (50 hour service intervals on a 60Hz genset
corresponding to 60 hours on a 50Hz genset - 108 Mega Revolutions
reading in both cases - the servicing interval would more likely be
rounded down to 100MRevs in this case).
--
Regards, J B Good