Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boxing in stairs

Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to box these in ?

http://i61.tinypic.com/14lue14.jpg

I'm not even sure on what material to use

Many thanks

Sean
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2014 10:02, DrLargePants wrote:
Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to box these in ?

http://i61.tinypic.com/14lue14.jpg

I'm not even sure on what material to use

Many thanks

Sean

Why on earth would you want to?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Good question.

The storage under it is visible and looks messy. Also it looks very dated IMO.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, May 4, 2014 11:02:55 AM UTC+1, DrLargePants wrote:
Good question.

The storage under it is visible and looks messy. Also it looks very dated IMO.

All buildings are soon dated. Enjoy them for what they are.

To wall off the understair space I'd use a timber frame with plasterboard. Since sound insulation is presumably not needed, 36x61mm CLS should suffice, and 12mm PB for robustness. A doorway would also be useful

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 May 2014 02:02:38 -0700 (PDT), DrLargePants
wrote:

Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to box these in ?

http://i61.tinypic.com/14lue14.jpg

I'm not even sure on what material to use

As I'm getting older and I just can't even think about crawling into
understair cupboards with my knees, I'd be tempted to build a pull-out
storage trolley with an end panel to match the opening.

This:
http://uniquefurnishings.net/?produc...-storage-shelf
Or this:
http://www.medicalexpo.com/prod/alli...64-501598.html

Or something like these:
http://www.fishpond.co.uk/c/Homeware...rage+On+Wheels

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DrLargePants wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on how to box these in ?
http://i61.tinypic.com/14lue14.jpg

MDF panels supported on 2"x2" studs, finished with brick slips to match the wall.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds good, thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DrLargePants" wrote in message
Good question.

The storage under it is visible and looks messy. Also it looks very dated
IMO.

A curtain would be simplest.

--
bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DrLargePants" wrote in message
Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to box these in ?

http://i61.tinypic.com/14lue14.jpg

I'm not even sure on what material to use

Many thanks

Sean

If you box them in, put a door at the bottom of the staircase, it is then a
good energy save. (Stops heat from escaping upstairs.)

If you additionally use fire resistant materials (plaster board) it makes
the house safer in a fire too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 04/05/2014 10:02, DrLargePants wrote:
Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to box these in ?

http://i61.tinypic.com/14lue14.jpg

I'm not even sure on what material to use

Many thanks

Sean

Why on earth would you want to?

Looks like the treads are open, gives you somewhere to store the
children that fall through?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , BartC
writes

"DrLargePants" wrote in message
Good question.

The storage under it is visible and looks messy. Also it looks very dated
IMO.

A curtain would be simplest.

You were born during the war AICMFP . . . .
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, May 4, 2014 6:01:25 PM UTC+1, harry wrote:
"DrLargePants" wrote in message

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to box these in ?
http://i61.tinypic.com/14lue14.jpg
I'm not even sure on what material to use

If you box them in, put a door at the bottom of the staircase, it is then a
good energy save. (Stops heat from escaping upstairs.)
If you additionally use fire resistant materials (plaster board) it makes
the house safer in a fire too.

1" pb if you want useful fire resistance

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The bricks are going. It's a false wall built up in front of the party wall. IMO it makes the room very dark

Would probably be easier just to board them admittedly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Correct. They need sorting out. Thankfully my child's bonce is too big to fit through !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would only box them into to the top of where they are now I think.

Doing it up to the ceiling and putting a door in would make the landing very dark as there are no windows to it unfortunately.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DrLargePants wrote:
Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to box these in ?

http://i61.tinypic.com/14lue14.jpg

I'm not even sure on what material to use

Many thanks

Sean

Should no be allowed, fisticuffs should be reserved for the ring.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2014 09:38, F Murtz wrote:
DrLargePants wrote:
Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to box these in ?

http://i61.tinypic.com/14lue14.jpg

I'm not even sure on what material to use

Many thanks

Sean

Should no be allowed, fisticuffs should be reserved for the ring.

Giving up storage space is invariably a mistake IME. Timber framed doors
with T&G faces? Cheap, lightweight, easy to make.

What is Hot boxing? Brian Gaff UK diy 27 May 12th 13 10:16 PM
Stairs - suicide stairs.jpg (0/1) Buddy[_5_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 1 October 24th 12 02:18 AM
Boxing in below stairs, conventional 3-bed semi js.b1 UK diy 2 November 16th 10 06:35 PM
Stairs Into Kitchen - 2 sets of stairs ? Andy UK diy 2 January 21st 06 11:00 PM
Carpeting stairs and filling in wood stairs Dantanna Home Ownership 2 January 10th 05 11:35 PM