Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is Hot boxing?

I was sent some details a bit back about the councils planned road
maintenance, and one of the tasks that seems to be very common is this hot
boxing. I'm assuming this is some buzz word for the method of filling up
holes in roads and paths, but I've never heard of it and as this piece of
emailage was sent to many people on request for when teir potholes might get
sorted, I wandered if its real jargon, which nobody has heard of or an
attempt to baffle by the engineers who seem to think enquires like this are
just annoying.

Brian

Email:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2013 07:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was sent some details a bit back about the councils planned road
maintenance, and one of the tasks that seems to be very common is this hot
boxing. I'm assuming this is some buzz word for the method of filling up
holes in roads and paths, but I've never heard of it and as this piece of
emailage was sent to many people on request for when teir potholes might get
sorted, I wandered if its real jargon, which nobody has heard of or an
attempt to baffle by the engineers who seem to think enquires like this are
just annoying.

SFAIK, it involves smoking pot in a small enclosed space, to increase
the hit.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 May 2013 07:01:53 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I was sent some details a bit back about the councils planned road
maintenance, and one of the tasks that seems to be very common is this
hot boxing. I'm assuming this is some buzz word for the method of
filling up holes in roads and paths, but I've never heard of it and as
this piece of emailage was sent to many people on request for when teir
potholes might get sorted, I wandered if its real jargon, which nobody
has heard of or an attempt to baffle by the engineers who seem to think
enquires like this are just annoying.

Brian

O.K. :-)

Pugilism involving scantily clad females?

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 10, 7:01*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
I was sent some details a bit back about the councils planned road
maintenance, and one of the *tasks that seems to be very common is this hot
boxing. I'm assuming this is some buzz word for the method of filling up
holes in roads and paths, but I've never heard of it and as this piece of
emailage was sent to many people on request for when teir potholes might get
sorted, I wandered if its real jargon, which nobody has heard of or an
attempt to baffle by the engineers who seem to think enquires like this *are
just annoying.

*Brian

It refers to the insulated "box" the asphalt (on a truck) is stored
in to prevent it cooling prior to use. They use it when there
is lots of small jobs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/13 07:55, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Fri, 10 May 2013 07:01:53 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I was sent some details a bit back about the councils planned road
maintenance, and one of the tasks that seems to be very common is this
hot boxing. I'm assuming this is some buzz word for the method of
filling up holes in roads and paths, but I've never heard of it and as
this piece of emailage was sent to many people on request for when teir
potholes might get sorted, I wandered if its real jargon, which nobody
has heard of or an attempt to baffle by the engineers who seem to think
enquires like this are just annoying.

Brian

O.K. :-)

Pugilism involving scantily clad females?

Cheers

Dave R

There is no actual reference to this on the internet that I could find -
road works that is. As you say, erotic fights or smoking dope in a car
are the two common uses.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bit more on the topic here.
http://www.highwaysmaintenance.com/ecopatch.htm#HOT BOX FOR KEEPING
FRESH MATERIAL AT REQUIRED TEMPERATURE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2013 08:00, harry wrote:
On May 10, 7:01 am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
I was sent some details a bit back about the councils planned road
maintenance, and one of the tasks that seems to be very common is this hot
boxing. I'm assuming this is some buzz word for the method of filling up
holes in roads and paths, but I've never heard of it and as this piece of
emailage was sent to many people on request for when teir potholes might get
sorted, I wandered if its real jargon, which nobody has heard of or an
attempt to baffle by the engineers who seem to think enquires like this are
just annoying.

Brian

It refers to the insulated "box" the asphalt (on a truck) is stored
in to prevent it cooling prior to use. They use it when there
is lots of small jobs.

I think I prefer the other two definitions.

Fundamentally a Bodge it and Scarper approach to road mending potholes,
one step down from the tar and feather car paint chipping methodology.

I love the way they leave damage in the road to mature over winter to a
statutory size for fixing and then attempt to do it in torrential rain
with the holes full of water. Guess what? They are back the following
year with even more faults to be fixed. And so ad infinitum...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, as you say, which is what made me ask. Maybe these officers are
taking the **** out of us by inventing things then.
Thinking about it all I can imagine is that with a broken up surface, its
taken back to a solid part in the shape of a rectangle, heated and the
filling agent melted and put in then the box is removed and the edges sealed
with that black runny tar stuff.

Lasts long enough for the vehicle to get back to the depot at any rate. the
next large vehicle either starts a new hole or dislodged the previous fixed
one leaving marble like stones on the surface for the unwary pedestrian to
slip on when crossing the road.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And this needs a name? Blimey..
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"harry" wrote in message
Bit more on the topic here.
http://www.highwaysmaintenance.com/ecopatch.htm#HOT BOX FOR KEEPING
FRESH MATERIAL AT REQUIRED TEMPERATURE

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought it might refer to the propane heated burners that heat and dry
the pothole to prepare for filling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:kmi8kq$egv$1@dont-
email.me:

Where do you find this one then?

Brian

Ah - Google is my friend:

http://www.proteusequipment.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.velocitypatching.com/

It is about time that the brains of the industry got together and came up
with a proper effective and repeatable repair process for this common
problem. We have good technology used in tunnelling, laying railways, etc -
but filling a pothole seems to still mainly be a manual and innefective
job. Surfacing a road costs a fortune - so we should protect the
investement by responding better to problems.

The deterioration around man-holes after snow is something that needs a
solution as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 May 2013 08:50:48 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

And this needs a name? Blimey..
Brian

So to sum up, it's fair to say that there is a concept of a Hot Box in
road repair
http://www.proteusequipment.com/prod...halt-hot-boxes
and "Hot Boxing" is being used in a frivolous way, in much the same
manor as a lawyer might say he has been "soliciting", or you might go
"cottaging" to your holiday home.

Does thatt sound plausable?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2013 07:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was sent some details a bit back about the councils planned road
maintenance, and one of the tasks that seems to be very common is this hot
boxing. I'm assuming this is some buzz word for the method of filling up
holes in roads and paths, but I've never heard of it and as this piece of
emailage was sent to many people on request for when teir potholes might get
sorted, I wandered if its real jargon, which nobody has heard of or an
attempt to baffle by the engineers who seem to think enquires like this are
just annoying.

Brian

On previous house ... Rd outside had potholes, complained and was told
they were using Jet Pack Hot patching .........
This was a metal hood that house propane jets ... heated up road 'hole'
then they rolled in patch material and rolled over it while hot
.......... they advised this had much more longevity than standard cold
patch.
Maybe it's this under another name.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 May 2013 10:11:12 +0100, Rick Hughes
wrote:

[...]

You would have thought the operatives would have had the propane
cylinders strapped to their backs like Buzz Lightyear.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2013 07:55, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Fri, 10 May 2013 07:01:53 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I was sent some details a bit back about the councils planned road
maintenance, and one of the tasks that seems to be very common is this
hot boxing. I'm assuming this is some buzz word for the method of
filling up holes in roads and paths, but I've never heard of it and as
this piece of emailage was sent to many people on request for when teir
potholes might get sorted, I wandered if its real jargon, which nobody
has heard of or an attempt to baffle by the engineers who seem to think
enquires like this are just annoying.

Brian

O.K. :-)

Pugilism involving scantily clad females?

Glad I was not the only one to have that mental image ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I was sent some details a bit back about the councils planned road
maintenance, and one of the tasks that seems to be very common is this hot
boxing. I'm assuming this is some buzz word for the method of filling up
holes in roads and paths, but I've never heard of it and as this piece of
emailage was sent to many people on request for when teir potholes might
get sorted, I wandered if its real jargon, which nobody has heard of or an
attempt to baffle by the engineers who seem to think enquires like this
are just annoying.

It's the official terminology for the equipment used by O'Malley and Sons
and Friends and Dis Is Me Nephew Declan, He's Me Sister's Kid Over From
Galway On Holiday. It's a technology that ensures that the repair to the
pavement or road is an entirely different colour and texture to the rest of
the surface, and allows the hole to be filled to either two inches higher or
lower than the level of the surroundings, preferably left proud on pavements
and sunken on roads. It also has a built-in safety device which means it
cracks and falls apart approximately 4 days after installation once O'Malley
has changed his name and repainted his fleet of illegal vehicles.

It's quite a lengthy process, it normally takes three weeks between digging
out the hole, and filling it back in. Fortunately the skilled craftsmen fill
the time with haphazardly parking 7 trucks, 9 vans and 43 trailers at busy
junctions, traipsing mud all over the floor of Greggs or disposing of their
waste at a convenient church car park or hedgerow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 May 2013 08:23:32 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

http://www.velocitypatching.com/

It is about time that the brains of the industry got together and came
up with a proper effective and repeatable repair process for this common
problem. We have good technology used in tunnelling, laying railways,
etc -
but filling a pothole seems to still mainly be a manual and innefective
job. Surfacing a road costs a fortune - so we should protect the
investement by responding better to problems.

The deterioration around man-holes after snow is something that needs a
solution as well.

The main problem is the sheer weight of commercial vehicles being crammed
onto roads never intended for them.

We are unfortunate enough to share a postcode with a large educational
establishment which is 100m behind us on the main road. Of course every
delivery vehicle uses sat nav, so gets half way down our (clearly signed)
cul de sac before it occurs to them they *might* have taken a wrong
turning.

We don't live in a road, so much as an open cast mine. I managed to get
some holes fixed when I wrote to the council asking who could keep the
money from any diamonds that got thrown up

I emailed my councillor saying that road x was a moon buggy testing site. It
was relaid within a month, amazingly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2013 09:23, DerbyBorn wrote:
http://www.velocitypatching.com/

It is about time that the brains of the industry got together and came up
with a proper effective and repeatable repair process for this common
problem. We have good technology used in tunnelling, laying railways, etc -
but filling a pothole seems to still mainly be a manual and innefective
job. Surfacing a road costs a fortune - so we should protect the
investement by responding better to problems.

The deterioration around man-holes after snow is something that needs a
solution as well.

Joined up thinking may prevent some of the problems in the first place.
In Southend-on-Sea it's almost a certainty that the week after
resurfacing a road one of the utilities will dig it up again for MAJOR
improvements.

This is the council that spent millions pedestrianising the High Street
with artistic cobbles in patterns etc. and for it to be completely
destroyed very shortly afterwards when a trench, 10 ft wide by 20ft
deep, was dug along the complete length to replace the utilities.

This is the same council that this year have spent a fortune on a
(listed) building in a local park but waited until the day the project
was finished to then install what appears to be some "green" initiative
for heating. This required all of the newly completed courtyard (with a
walkways of paving brick individually inscribed with the names of
sponsors) to be dug up again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
The main problem is the sheer weight of commercial vehicles being
crammed onto roads never intended for them.

No it's not. All the side roads round here are full of potholes, and don't
see many trucks. Apart from dustcarts etc.

--
*Great groups from little icons grow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 11, 9:40*am, alan wrote:
[...]

Have they never heard of the mole?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
The main problem is the sheer weight of commercial vehicles being
crammed onto roads never intended for them.

No it's not. All the side roads round here are full of potholes, and don't
see many trucks. Apart from dustcarts etc.

Indeed. the main problem, is poor foundations leading to cracking. water
gets underneath freezes and whole chunks tear out.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 May 2013 11:22:04 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

This is the council that spent millions pedestrianising the High
street with artistic cobbles in patterns etc. and for it to be
completely destroyed very shortly afterwards when a trench, 10 ft wide
by 20ft deep, was dug along the complete length to replace the
utilities.

This is the same council that this year have spent a fortune on a
(listed) building in a local park but waited until the day the project
was finished to then install what appears to be some "green"
initiative for heating. *This required all of the newly completed
courtyard (with a walkways of paving brick individually inscribed with
the names of sponsors) to be dug up again.

Have they never heard of the mole?

The one I found today wouldn't be much good, very wet and very stiff.

Something requiring a 10' wide and 20' deep "trench" would probably be
pushing the limits of mole a little bit. The heating maybe OK. If not
they laid a 6" water main around here not long ago using horizontal
drilling, just had a hole every 2 or 3 hundred yards. Last month they
where putting in a 6" gas main again using horizontal drilling.

--
Cheers
Dave.

chipboard boxing Fred UK diy 11 March 4th 10 11:04 AM
Boxing in skylights Aaron Fude Home Repair 12 January 21st 09 12:02 AM
Boxing in Cistern TheScullster UK diy 6 March 8th 07 08:12 AM
Fireproofing when boxing in Ben Blaukopf UK diy 2 February 4th 07 11:39 PM
Boxing in gas pipe jon UK diy 3 November 13th 06 06:29 PM