Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default BT Infinity - any catches?

My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

Sounds good to me, if what he is currently paying for the broadband is
reasonable, and he is happy with BT, then I see no reason bot to take
them up on it - might be a good idea to pretend you want to order it
first, to see what sort of speed estimate you can get.

--
Toby...
Remove your pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 May 2014 20:50:43 +0100, Toby
wrote:

On 02/05/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

Sounds good to me, if what he is currently paying for the broadband is
reasonable, and he is happy with BT, then I see no reason bot to take
them up on it - might be a good idea to pretend you want to order it
first, to see what sort of speed estimate you can get.

It does seem a remarkably good offer. Just put the phone number into
this http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ for an estimate of performance -
range B applies if you are some distance from the cabinet or have
other problems such as aluminium cable.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

On 02/05/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with
it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

Sounds good to me, if what he is currently paying for the broadband is
reasonable, and he is happy with BT, then I see no reason bot to take
them up on it - might be a good idea to pretend you want to order it
first, to see what sort of speed estimate you can get.

It does seem a remarkably good offer. Just put the phone number into
this http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ for an estimate of performance -
range B applies if you are some distance from the cabinet or have
other problems such as aluminium cable.

Range B says 52.1 to 79.5 Mbs.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 May 2014 21:25:53 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On 02/05/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with
it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

Sounds good to me, if what he is currently paying for the broadband is
reasonable, and he is happy with BT, then I see no reason bot to take
them up on it - might be a good idea to pretend you want to order it
first, to see what sort of speed estimate you can get.

It does seem a remarkably good offer. Just put the phone number into
this http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ for an estimate of performance -
range B applies if you are some distance from the cabinet or have
other problems such as aluminium cable.

Range B says 52.1 to 79.5 Mbs.

Which is good. I can only dream of such speeds.
--
rbel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with it
Anyone got any comments?

If BT can offer him Infinity, then he can also take "fibre" broadband
from any other ISP that offers it, I'd have a look at Plusnet ...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html#fibre-broadband-packages

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with
it
Anyone got any comments?

If BT can offer him Infinity, then he can also take "fibre" broadband from
any other ISP that offers it, I'd have a look at Plusnet ...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html#fibre-broadband-packages

There is a catch. He also wants to watch BT Sport for free on the TV in the
lounges ie which ever lounge my Mother is not in, it seems BT Sport is free
with the BT offer.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

He also wants to watch BT Sport for free on the TV in the
lounges ie which ever lounge my Mother is not in, it seems BT Sport is free
with the BT offer.

That's true, if he wants the BT sport, then BT Broadband is the way to go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

He also wants to watch BT Sport for free on the TV in the
lounges ie which ever lounge my Mother is not in, it seems BT Sport is
free
with the BT offer.

That's true, if he wants the BT sport, then BT Broadband is the way to go.

And no catches? It just seems too good to be true.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

if he wants the BT sport, then BT Broadband is the way to go.

And no catches? It just seems too good to be true.

BT Retail is never known for being cheap, so it's possible their ADSL
price is already similar to everyone else's FTTC price (excluding the
sport sweetener) so it's more of a way of tying existing customers in
for longer, rather than have them migrate to other ISPs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:

And no catches? It just seems too good to be true.

A few mentions online...

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infin...y/td-p/1025284

In particular, comments like:

"The letters are from a sales company working on behalf of BT. The "free"
upgrade is only for the period left in your present contract and it then
goes up to the normal price for the Infinity package you selected"

Dunno if that's a problem (or even true!)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

He also wants to watch BT Sport for free on the TV in the
lounges ie which ever lounge my Mother is not in, it seems BT Sport
is free
with the BT offer.

That's true, if he wants the BT sport, then BT Broadband is the way to
go.

And no catches? It just seems too good to be true.

I thought there were problems with the BT Sport boxes being reported?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
ARW wrote:

My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with it
Anyone got any comments?

If BT can offer him Infinity, then he can also take "fibre" broadband
from any other ISP that offers it, I'd have a look at Plusnet ...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html#fibre-broadband-packages

The free offer almost certainly won't apply to any other ISP's offering.

I wonder if there's some other reason, such as the area has run out of
resources for POTS lines? Given the rate people are giving up BT lines,
that seems unlikely, unless there's a new development nearby.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol scribbled...

ARW wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

He also wants to watch BT Sport for free on the TV in the
lounges ie which ever lounge my Mother is not in, it seems BT Sport
is free
with the BT offer.

That's true, if he wants the BT sport, then BT Broadband is the way to
go.

And no catches? It just seems too good to be true.

I thought there were problems with the BT Sport boxes being reported?

The software in them was ****e, so they upgraded overnight, which
deleted all of the saved programmes on the boxes.

The new software isn't much better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Andy Burns writes:

If BT can offer him Infinity, then he can also take "fibre" broadband
from any other ISP that offers it, I'd have a look at Plusnet ...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html#fibre-broadband-packages

The free offer almost certainly won't apply to any other ISP's offering.

Yeah, I hadn't actually looked at the BT letter before I replied.

I wonder if there's some other reason, such as the area has run out of
resources for POTS lines?

You still need a POTS line to have FTTC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/2014 09:15, Brian Gaff wrote:
And what is Infinity plus which has been advertised on the local radio?
Brian

BT's version of fibre to the cabinet.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

what is Infinity plus which has been advertised on the local radio?

Dunno, sounds like it could be marketing bull**** for the 80Mb flavour
of FTTC, as opposed to the 40Mb flavour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

The initial charge may be free but I bet they charge him £10 per month
extra on top.

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

if he wants the BT sport, then BT Broadband is the way to go.

And no catches? It just seems too good to be true.

BT Retail is never known for being cheap, so it's possible their ADSL
price is already similar to everyone else's FTTC price (excluding the
sport sweetener) so it's more of a way of tying existing customers in for
longer, rather than have them migrate to other ISPs.

Well I did get the perfect solution this morning. It turns out that he can
get BT Sport for free via the SKY box as he is a BT Broadand user -I never
knew that as I do not have SKY or BT.

Sure he now has with a new 12 month contract but he his happy enough. He
does not need BT Infinity.

The usual 30 minute phone call to help him find his SKY viewing card
number -he swore blind that he did not have a viewing card and that there
was no "settings" button on the remote control to also get the info.

The Infinity offer is probably due to the new houses that are been built
next to his house, BT have been doing a lot of work there - and as you say
it ties up a customer for another 12 months.

Cheers

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead
with it Anyone got any comments?

If BT can offer him Infinity, then he can also take "fibre" broadband
from any other ISP that offers it, I'd have a look at Plusnet ...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html#fibre-broadband-packages

There is a catch. He also wants to watch BT Sport for free on the TV in
the lounges ie which ever lounge my Mother is not in, it seems BT Sport
is free with the BT offer.

I thought that relied on a special BT STB? Basically just a Humax variant?

--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

My guess is he'll end up paying the standard charge for fibre at some
point in the future. Presumably at the normal renewal time for his current
setup.

--
*Too many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rbel wrote:
Range B says 52.1 to 79.5 Mbs.

Which is good. I can only dream of such speeds.

Have that here with BT fibre. I can't in all honesty say it makes much
difference in practice over the older one at about 11 Mbs. With most
things the limitation seems to be at the sending end.

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead
with it Anyone got any comments?

If BT can offer him Infinity, then he can also take "fibre" broadband
from any other ISP that offers it, I'd have a look at Plusnet ...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html#fibre-broadband-packages

There is a catch. He also wants to watch BT Sport for free on the TV in
the lounges ie which ever lounge my Mother is not in, it seems BT Sport
is free with the BT offer.

I thought that relied on a special BT STB? Basically just a Humax variant?

Dunno what they tried to sell him but it is now all sorted for free (well
just another 12 month contract)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns scribeth thus
ARW wrote:

My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with it
Anyone got any comments?

If BT can offer him Infinity, then he can also take "fibre" broadband
from any other ISP that offers it, I'd have a look at Plusnet ...

Good idea then you don't have to deal with BT...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/...bre-broadband-
packages

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , rbel
writes
wrote:

On 02/05/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

Sounds good to me, if what he is currently paying for the broadband is
reasonable, and he is happy with BT, then I see no reason bot to take
them up on it - might be a good idea to pretend you want to order it
first, to see what sort of speed estimate you can get.

It does seem a remarkably good offer. Just put the phone number into
this http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ for an estimate of performance -
range B applies if you are some distance from the cabinet or have
other problems such as aluminium cable.

How much rental do you then pay. Normal offer has been a substantial
reduction for 1st 6 months which is possibly worth more than this "free
upgrade" which is actually only worth £30 as IIRC the homehub always
comes free.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

Just keep in mind that you can have FTTC from any ISP - not just BT.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2014 22:04, ARW wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead
with it
Anyone got any comments?

If BT can offer him Infinity, then he can also take "fibre" broadband
from any other ISP that offers it, I'd have a look at Plusnet ...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html#fibre-broadband-packages

There is a catch. He also wants to watch BT Sport for free on the TV in
the lounges ie which ever lounge my Mother is not in, it seems BT Sport
is free with the BT offer.

Plusnet can also offer BT sport - but for an extra monthly price...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 May 2014 23:27:43 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 02/05/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

Just keep in mind that you can have FTTC from any ISP - not just BT.

And with BT there's usually a catch.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 02/05/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

Just keep in mind that you can have FTTC from any ISP - not just BT.

And with BT there's usually a catch.

Dunno why so many are so negative about BT. Personally, I've never had a
problem with them - unlike the last lot, Pipex/TalkTalk. And Vodaphone,
who re-issued my PAYG mobile number because they reckoned I wasn't using
it - and without telling me first. Eventually got it back.
I suppose the bigger the company, the more things go wrong.

--
*I didn't like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 02/05/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

Just keep in mind that you can have FTTC from any ISP - not just BT.

And with BT there's usually a catch.

The catch is BT actually. BT retail mostly.

Which is how other ISPs manage to be better than BT despite buying stuff
from BT wholesale and onselling it.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
wrote:

On 02/05/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

Just keep in mind that you can have FTTC from any ISP - not just BT.

And with BT there's usually a catch.

The catch is BT actually. BT retail mostly.

Which is how other ISPs manage to be better than BT despite buying stuff
from BT wholesale and onselling it.

And the grief sometimes experienced with Openwretch;(...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 02/05/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead
with it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

Just keep in mind that you can have FTTC from any ISP - not just BT.

And with BT there's usually a catch.

The catch is BT actually. BT retail mostly.

Which is how other ISPs manage to be better than BT despite buying stuff
from BT wholesale and onselling it.

If the BT ISP were better than the others they would be accused of
having better access to openreach and the regulators would jump on them.
BT are quite capable of offering the best service but can't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home scribeth thus
wrote:

On 02/05/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead
with it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

Just keep in mind that you can have FTTC from any ISP - not just BT.

And with BT there's usually a catch.

The catch is BT actually. BT retail mostly.

Which is how other ISPs manage to be better than BT despite buying stuff
from BT wholesale and onselling it.

If the BT ISP were better than the others they would be accused of
having better access to openreach and the regulators would jump on them.
BT are quite capable of offering the best service but can't.

I wonder why;...

Brewery, organise, **** up etc;?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 02/05/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead
with it

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG

Anyone got any comments?

Just keep in mind that you can have FTTC from any ISP - not just BT.

And with BT there's usually a catch.

The catch is BT actually. BT retail mostly.

Which is how other ISPs manage to be better than BT despite buying stuff
from BT wholesale and onselling it.

If the BT ISP were better than the others they would be accused of
having better access to openreach and the regulators would jump on them.
BT are quite capable of offering the best service but can't.

Manifestly BT are not.

But why should they care? They are the biggest ISP in numbers terms.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/14 11:10, tony sayer wrote:
BT are quite capable of offering the best service but can't.

I wonder why;...

Brewery, organise, **** up etc;?...

No: Itsd more about tailoring the product and the marketing towards
numbers, not quality in the apparently correct assumption that most
users don't know what quality is, but can read things with pound signs
after them.

And for those that do, there's Plusnet.