Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Banana plugs and sockets for audio

Last time I investigated audio connections I was somewhat distracted by a
long discussion of Speakon vs Jack Plug.

Looking back, I realise that I was thinking of banana plugs - the ones
that fit into the back of speaker binding posts.

If we accept that the banana plug option on binding posts is acceptable
for audio connections then presumably banana plug patch cables should work
O.K.

So this suggests that if I run the audio cables under the floor then I
could terminate them in banana plug sockets.

These would be set directly in the floor to give minimal disruption (I
hope).

Apart from mounting them in a custom made metal plate screwed to the
floor, are there any other mounting methods which spring to mind?

Wall mounting is probably not an option because we have just had the walls
replastered.

Skirting board mounting might be an option but I'm not sure there is
enough depth, and this also sounds a bit fiddly.

I am assuming at the moment I will run wires directly from the floor
sockets to the binding posts on the AV amplifier, although a patch panel
at the back of the audio stack is another option.

At some point I might split out the two main speakers and amplify them
from a separate audio amp so I can have a stereo set-up independent of the
AV amp, in which case patch cables sounds quite attractive.

Anyway, product suggestions welcome :-)

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

As a connector they're fine. Just might be slightly more difficult to make
a nice looking job of them if they show. But beauty is in the eye of the
thingie.

--
*I know a guy who's addicted to brake fluid. He says he can stop any time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2014 13:59, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Apart from mounting them in a custom made metal plate screwed to the
floor, are there any other mounting methods which spring to mind?

Drill hole in floor and run cable directly to amplifer or speaker?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 May 2014 14:12:30 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

On 02/05/2014 13:59, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Apart from mounting them in a custom made metal plate screwed to the
floor, are there any other mounting methods which spring to mind?

Drill hole in floor and run cable directly to amplifier or speaker?

I may from time to time wish to remove the speakers and store them so I
was looking for an alternative to hard wiring.

However, not a bad suggestion otherwise :-)

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2014 13:59, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

So this suggests that if I run the audio cables under the floor then I
could terminate them in banana plug sockets.

These would be set directly in the floor to give minimal disruption (I
hope).

Apart from mounting them in a custom made metal plate screwed to the
floor, are there any other mounting methods which spring to mind?

Wall mounting is probably not an option because we have just had the walls
replastered.

Skirting board mounting might be an option but I'm not sure there is
enough depth, and this also sounds a bit fiddly.

I've done that - white blanking plate, drill a couple of holes, screw in
some banana plug/binding posts from maplin, attach speaker cable at the
back. Doesn't take much depth - less than a mains socket.

But the obvious question is where are the wires going? In my case they
were going round behind the skirting (next to some pipes), so skirting
board was the obvious place to put them. If they were going under the
floor, floor plate becomes something to consider.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David.WE.Roberts
writes
Last time I investigated audio connections I was somewhat distracted by a
long discussion of Speakon vs Jack Plug.

Looking back, I realise that I was thinking of banana plugs - the ones
that fit into the back of speaker binding posts.

If we accept that the banana plug option on binding posts is acceptable
for audio connections then presumably banana plug patch cables should work
O.K.

So this suggests that if I run the audio cables under the floor then I
could terminate them in banana plug sockets.

If you've not completely fixed on banana plugs, can I suggest 4 pin XLR
connectors instead?

http://cpc.farnell.com/CN00310
(despite their duff pic showing a 3 pin, the description is of the 4 pin
one)

Then you'd just have a single hole in the floor and a pretty much flush
finish with the mating connector removed (latching button excepted).
They're also pretty shallow so skirting mounting might be possible.

I used 4 pin ones so I could have both stereo pairs available at each
socket outlet although you could parallel them up if you think the rated
16A isn't enough.

Mating half is:

http://cpc.farnell.com/CN00500 (again with fookd up pic)

I use:

http://cpc.farnell.com/CN00497 (again wrong pic)

and

http://cpc.farnell.com/CN00307 (again wrong pic)

for the connection from the amp.

A pair of the panel plugs/sockets will nicely fit side by side on a
drilled 50x50mm euromod modular system blank and single plate if you
want a skirting mount.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 2, 2014 1:59:30 PM UTC+1, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

If we accept that the banana plug option on binding posts is acceptable
for audio connections then presumably banana plug patch cables should work
O.K.

if your amp doesnt mind the odd short

I'll admit I'm wondering why you need to terminate the cable with anything

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 2, 2014 1:59:30 PM UTC+1, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Apart from mounting them in a custom made metal plate screwed to the
floor, are there any other mounting methods which spring to mind?

Use a speaker connection plate and recess it into the floorboards.

A circular plate will allow a holesaw to be used to cut a recess with a neat edge.
http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shop/sp...er-855100.html

or you can get individual terminal posts with threaded studs long enough to go through 25mm board for mounting directly into the floorboards.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2014 13:59, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Last time I investigated audio connections I was somewhat distracted by a
long discussion of Speakon vs Jack Plug.

I put in faceplates in several rooms .. which have gold plated banana
and binding post combined ... so could use either ... in the end I just
used gold plated banana plugs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
I used 4 pin ones so I could have both stereo pairs available at each
socket outlet although you could parallel them up if you think the rated
16A isn't enough.

If you're going to the bother of installing wiring and outlets, surely
you'd situate the outlets behind each speaker and not have wires trailing?
Which means you could then use the cheaper 3 pin XLR - if you really must.
Or use a connector designed for speakers - the Speakon. ;-) The panel
mount socket fits the same cutout as an XLR.

--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 May 2014 13:59:30 UTC+1, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Last time I investigated audio connections I was somewhat distracted by a

long discussion of Speakon vs Jack Plug.

Looking back, I realise that I was thinking of banana plugs - the ones

that fit into the back of speaker binding posts.

Arhhhh No NOT banana plugs we aren't Americans .
They are 4mm leads either male/plug or female/socket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 2 May 2014 13:59:30 UTC+1, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Last time I investigated audio connections I was somewhat distracted by a

long discussion of Speakon vs Jack Plug.

Looking back, I realise that I was thinking of banana plugs - the ones

that fit into the back of speaker binding posts.

Arhhhh No NOT banana plugs we aren't Americans .
They are 4mm leads either male/plug or female/socket.

I didn't realise that the American had such tiny bananas. Usually
everything of theirs is bigger than ours.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
fred wrote:
I used 4 pin ones so I could have both stereo pairs available at each
socket outlet although you could parallel them up if you think the rated
16A isn't enough.

If you're going to the bother of installing wiring and outlets, surely
you'd situate the outlets behind each speaker and not have wires trailing?
Which means you could then use the cheaper 3 pin XLR - if you really must.
Or use a connector designed for speakers - the Speakon. ;-) The panel
mount socket fits the same cutout as an XLR.

Probably not clear from the description but I do have one at each
speaker location (on either side of a chimney breast). Having both wired
at each position means I can have the amp either side.

XLRs chosen cos they're a) small, b) shiny :-) and c) cos Speakons look
like cheap ****! (IMNSHO).
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 May 2014 16:10:22 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:

On 02/05/2014 13:59, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Last time I investigated audio connections I was somewhat distracted by
a long discussion of Speakon vs Jack Plug.

I put in faceplates in several rooms .. which have gold plated banana
and binding post combined ... so could use either ... in the end I just
used gold plated banana plugs.

My only reservation with binding posts is that they stand proud of the
floor and are thus prey to impact damage.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
I used 4 pin ones so I could have both stereo pairs available at each
socket outlet although you could parallel them up if you think the
rated 16A isn't enough.

If you're going to the bother of installing wiring and outlets, surely
you'd situate the outlets behind each speaker and not have wires
trailing? Which means you could then use the cheaper 3 pin XLR - if you
really must. Or use a connector designed for speakers - the Speakon.
;-) The panel mount socket fits the same cutout as an XLR.

Probably not clear from the description but I do have one at each
speaker location (on either side of a chimney breast). Having both wired
at each position means I can have the amp either side.

Right. I think. ;-)

XLRs chosen cos they're a) small, b) shiny :-) and c) cos Speakons look
like cheap ****! (IMNSHO).

The Speakon/Powercon is the strongest most reliable connector of its type
I know of - and I've used just about everything over the years. I
personally don't like XLRs being used for non industry standards -
although I realise this is a personal thing. The 4 pin XLR is commonly a
low voltage DC connecter there.

--
*i souport publik edekashun.