Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Re-tiling bathroom

Greetings

Under orders I have started removing/replacing tiles from bathroom
walls (because I'm told the ones there are now dated!).

I can see a lot of the original adhesive gets left behind. Is it
feasible to cover it all with a new skim, or does it have to be removed
to get a level surface?

Many thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And in 20 years time your room has shrunk by several inches!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 01/05/2014 11:25, JIP wrote:
Greetings

Under orders I have started removing/replacing tiles from bathroom
walls (because I'm told the ones there are now dated!).

I can see a lot of the original adhesive gets left behind. Is it
feasible to cover it all with a new skim, or does it have to be removed
to get a level surface?

Before going too much further, its possible to tile over old tiles if they
are not falling off. Scuff the surface of them a bit, and use a tile on
tile adhesive.

If stripping the tiles you need a reasonably flat surface to work on. You
can skim over old glue in much the same way you would flatten an artex
ceiling.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-05-01, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:
If you use plain white square ones, they will never look
dated, & they'll be easier to match if you need replacements or extras
later.

Just love your optimism. ;-)

Thanks. I aim to please.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 4:07:10 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ducksburg.com,
Adam Funk ducksburg.com wrote:

If you use plain white square ones, they will never look
dated, & they'll be easier to match if you need replacements or extras
later.

Just love your optimism. ;-)

Indeed, plain white tiles look dated nowadays. Matching isnt as simple as it looks either - but more chance I expect than other types. Always keep the leftovers somewhere.

Picking tiles that wont look dated and keep looking good isnt the easiest thing to do. Anything fashionable will inevitably look dated. Perhaps a relatively safe option is to go for somthing so dated its cool again. Finding the tiles might be fun.

You could always do a Gaudi... people are seldom that brave though!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JIP wrote:
Greetings

Under orders I have started removing/replacing tiles from bathroom
walls (because I'm told the ones there are now dated!).

I can see a lot of the original adhesive gets left behind. Is it
feasible to cover it all with a new skim, or does it have to be removed
to get a level surface?

Many thanks

A power plane with old carbide blades removes tile cement residues
quite effectively. A bit dusty though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 11:25:04 AM UTC+1, JIP wrote:

Greetings
Under orders I have started removing/replacing tiles from bathroom
walls (because I'm told the ones there are now dated!).
I can see a lot of the original adhesive gets left behind. Is it
feasible to cover it all with a new skim, or does it have to be removed
to get a level surface?
Many thanks

You dont need a smooth surface to tile onto, it can be done onto a lumpy one. You'll need to use dot & dab, and do pull off any lumps that arent sound first.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
You could always do a Gaudi... people are seldom that brave though!

Photo 9:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-44149708.html

Keeping to the 'original' style of the house is probably reliable if it's anywhere between 1830 and 1939, but 1970s Barratt style is less in fashion these days.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 5, 2014 8:01:17 PM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
It you really want something
timeless fit a butler sink in the kitchen

and watch it get chipped as it writes off the crockery! Classic case
showing triumph of design over function.

That's because butlers never washed crockery. Crockery was the parlourmaid's job.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Photo 9:

I almost didn't make it to photo 9

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-44149708.html

Jesus! How much to knock-down the price for redecoration?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 5, 2014 11:23:48 PM UTC+1, wrote:
wrote:

You could always do a Gaudi... people are seldom that brave though!

Photo 9:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-44149708.html

Probably more gaudy than gaudi

Keeping to the 'original' style of the house is probably reliable if it's anywhere between 1830 and 1939, but 1970s Barratt style is less in fashion these days.
Owain

Yup - I'd skip the 1800s colour schemes though

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, May 5, 2014 8:01:17 PM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
It you really want something
timeless fit a butler sink in the kitchen

and watch it get chipped as it writes off the crockery! Classic case
showing triumph of design over function.

That's because butlers never washed crockery. Crockery was the
parlourmaid's job.

Butlers, however, looked after glassware.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2014 23:23, wrote:
wrote:
You could always do a Gaudi... people are seldom that brave
though!

Photo 9:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-44149708.html

Outstanding - probably worth keeping a copy of those shots just for
amusement. ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

tiling in bathroom rh UK diy 5 January 28th 07 07:22 PM
Re-tiling bathroom [email protected] UK diy 19 August 29th 06 02:48 PM
Bathroom tiling.. tarquinlinbin UK diy 6 March 4th 05 11:26 PM
Tiling a bathroom Lisci UK diy 2 January 11th 05 04:53 PM
Bathroom tiling TOM UK diy 1 September 5th 04 07:12 PM