tarquinlinbin

Default Bathroom tiling..

I know this has been covered before..(dohhh..)
I have to do a full retile of a bathroom. I know that many will say
fit the bath then tile but this is a smallish room and i feel the bath
would get in the way. Also for full tiling jobs i think its probably
better to mark the line of the bath,fit a batten just above that
line,do the tiling so ensuring that it is nice and level,fit bath,tile
down to infill to edge of bath. If you just fit the bath and make it
level then use the edge of the bath as a level datum,i think this
could be asking for trouble. Inevitably modern baths may "give" a fe
mill;s and also,its difficult to get them perfectly level. Not like
the old cast iron days where it stayed where it was put.

Any minor inaccuracies would be magnified over a full tiling
job,corners of tiles would start to not meet square on/point to point
and the finished job would not be so good. Even on a half tile job
round the bath,this can become apparent.

Any thoughts?

joe
Dave Jones

"tarquinlinbin" wrote in message
[...]

If your going to do it that way, leave at least half a tile above the bath.

tarquinlinbin wrote:
I know this has been covered before..(dohhh..)
I have to do a full retile of a bathroom. I know that many will say
fit the bath then tile but this is a smallish room and i feel the

bath
would get in the way.

Fit the bath first, don't f**k about !!

I measured and tiled to where I thought the bath would go, and I had a
right game fitting it in. I ended up having to even off the tiles with
an angle grinder and jacking up the bath on marine plywood !

Never again ..

Also for full tiling jobs i think its probably
better to mark the line of the bath,fit a batten just above that
line,do the tiling so ensuring that it is nice and level,fit

bath,tile
down to infill to edge of bath. If you just fit the bath and make it
level then use the edge of the bath as a level datum,i think this
could be asking for trouble.

Well, I fitted a steel bath, so i'm not that well up on plastic, but
tiling up form the bath leaving a reasonable gap for mastic would work
fine.

Inevitably modern baths may "give" a few mill;s and also, its
difficult to get them perfectly level. Not like the old cast iron

days
where it stayed where it was put.

It's easy to get them level. Spirit level and adjustable feet .. !

Any minor inaccuracies would be magnified over a full tiling
job,corners of tiles would start to not meet square on/point to point
and the finished job would not be so good. Even on a half tile job
round the bath,this can become apparent.

I think you're worrying too much. Leave it out and measure very very
carefully, or put it in if feasible and there's space to work. I wish I
had put mine in first, YMMV.

Regards,

Paul.

Jeff

wrote in message
ups.com...

snip

Well, I fitted a steel bath, so i'm not that well up on plastic, but
tiling up form the bath leaving a reasonable gap for mastic would work
fine.

snip

last time i did this i got a flexible seal that goes under the 1st row of
tiles and allows for a bit of 'flex' - worked ok

Regards Jeff

Cuprager

tarquinlinbin wrote:
[...]

I recently done exactly this. I left the bath in place and tiled down to
it from a datum line. It worked a treat. Any slight inconsistencies are
covered up by your silicon seal anyway. If you mark out your datum
properly around the whole room first then you should have no problem
with joins/corners meeting etc.

Steven Briggs

In message , tarquinlinbin
writes
[...]

Just done it. Last wall tomorrow.
Tiled most of the wall before fitting bath (easier access, less chance
of dropping something in the bath, shower valve to fix / tile round).
Left about a half tile to the bath. A full tile at bath level looks
better, but other factors, such a border heights with respect to windows
etc may force a part tile like I did).
Note also that most (all?) baths have brackets on the wall side that
project above the edge of the bath so they can be screwed to the wall.
Thus that bottom row of tiles has to be done after fitting the bath.
If you use the plastic tile to bath trim the sits behind the tiles, then
be very careful about using it a base to support the tiling operation.
The tiles can slip and squash the trim out of alignment. BTDTGTTS.

--
steve
tarquinlinbin

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:41:53 -0000, "Jeff" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

Well, I fitted a steel bath, so i'm not that well up on plastic, but
tiling up form the bath leaving a reasonable gap for mastic would work
fine.

snip

last time i did this i got a flexible seal that goes under the 1st row of
tiles and allows for a bit of 'flex' - worked ok

Regards Jeff

Yes ive seen this stuff but i cant find it in the shops. Can you
remember where you got it??

Tiling a bathroom Lisci UK diy 2 January 11th 05 04:53 PM
Bathroom tiling - can I put new tiles over old ? mikeyw UK diy 4 November 1st 04 06:10 PM
Bathroom tiling TOM UK diy 1 September 5th 04 07:12 PM
Bathroom floor tiling question L Beck Home Repair 3 January 1st 04 06:31 PM
Tiling in Bathroom The Question Asker UK diy 3 July 19th 03 12:01 AM