Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'hand operated' cotter pin wanted

I'm after a cotter pin that I can insert and remove easily by hand.
At least I think I want a cotter pin if it's one of those pins with a
shoulder at one end and a hole for a split-pin retainer at the other
end.

These will be 6mm diameter, 2.5/3cm long.

I guess a basic solution would be a standard cotter pin with an R-clip
in the hole to retain it but I'd like a more user friendly version if
I can find one.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere pins that have a section at the
end that folds in flush with the pin for inserting and then flips out
to retain the pin. This would be ideal if I can find a name for such
as there isn't an R-clip to lose (or get stuck).

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

wrote in message ...
I'm after a cotter pin that I can insert and remove easily by hand.
At least I think I want a cotter pin if it's one of those pins with a
shoulder at one end and a hole for a split-pin retainer at the other
end.

These will be 6mm diameter, 2.5/3cm long.

I guess a basic solution would be a standard cotter pin with an R-clip
in the hole to retain it but I'd like a more user friendly version if
I can find one.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere pins that have a section at the
end that folds in flush with the pin for inserting and then flips out
to retain the pin. This would be ideal if I can find a name for such
as there isn't an R-clip to lose (or get stuck).

--
Chris Green

Clevis Pin Chris.

http://marinestore.co.uk/Drop_Nose_C...x_56_mm.ht ml

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 May 2014 12:05:28 +0100, Baz wrote:

wrote in message ...
I'm after a cotter pin that I can insert and remove easily by hand. At
least I think I want a cotter pin if it's one of those pins with a
shoulder at one end and a hole for a split-pin retainer at the other
end.

These will be 6mm diameter, 2.5/3cm long.

I guess a basic solution would be a standard cotter pin with an R-clip
in the hole to retain it but I'd like a more user friendly version if I
can find one.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere pins that have a section at the end
that folds in flush with the pin for inserting and then flips out to
retain the pin. This would be ideal if I can find a name for such as
there isn't an R-clip to lose (or get stuck).

--
Chris Green

Clevis Pin Chris.

http://marinestore.co.uk/

Drop_Nose_Clevis_Pin_Spring_Loaded_6_mm_x_56_mm.ht ml

Baz

& the securing pin you are thinking of is a linch/lynch pin!

Avpx

--
"You're not allowed to call them dinosaurs anymore." said
Yo-less. "It's speciesist. You have to call them pre-petroleum

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

wrote in message ...
[...]

Defo One of these.
http://tinyurl.com/ogjjjbm
Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What are those things called that are a pin, but hollow with a small ball
that sticks out the side that pops back up when the pin reaches the other
side, then you push in a pin and it wedges the ball.
I've seen them on some camping stuff, and they were useful for not losing
things.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message ...
I'm after a cotter pin that I can insert and remove easily by hand.
At least I think I want a cotter pin if it's one of those pins with a
shoulder at one end and a hole for a split-pin retainer at the other
end.

These will be 6mm diameter, 2.5/3cm long.

I guess a basic solution would be a standard cotter pin with an R-clip
in the hole to retain it but I'd like a more user friendly version if
I can find one.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere pins that have a section at the
end that folds in flush with the pin for inserting and then flips out
to retain the pin. This would be ideal if I can find a name for such
as there isn't an R-clip to lose (or get stuck).

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

wrote in message ...
Baz wrote:

& the securing pin you are thinking of is a linch/lynch pin!

Avpx

Defo One of these.
http://tinyurl.com/ogjjjbm
Baz

Er, that link results in as much confusion as we started with! :-)

--
Chris Green

A Picture Paints A Thousand Words............................
And now you have a choice.
And maybe see something you hadn't thought about.
Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

wrote in message ...
Baz wrote:

I seem to remember seeing somewhere pins that have a section at the
end that folds in flush with the pin for inserting and then flips out
to retain the pin. This would be ideal if I can find a name for such
as there isn't an R-clip to lose (or get stuck).

Clevis Pin Chris.

http://marinestore.co.uk/Drop_Nose_C...x_56_mm.ht ml

Ah, yes, Clevis Pin.

Those ones in that link are rather expensive though!

--
Chris Green

That what in you need in that case Chris is...................
http://tinyurl.com/kg955zp

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 01/05/2014 12:28, Baz wrote:

Defo One of these.
http://tinyurl.com/ogjjjbm
Baz

An excellent use of Google Images!

Well. Thank You.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Baz wrote:

wrote in message ...
Baz wrote:

& the securing pin you are thinking of is a linch/lynch pin!

Avpx

Defo One of these.
http://tinyurl.com/ogjjjbm
Baz

Er, that link results in as much confusion as we started with! :-)

--
Chris Green

A Picture Paints A Thousand Words............................
And now you have a choice.
And maybe see something you hadn't thought about.

What I meant was that lots of those pictures show things other than
clevis pins.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
I'm after a cotter pin that I can insert and remove easily by hand.
At least I think I want a cotter pin if it's one of those pins with a
shoulder at one end and a hole for a split-pin retainer at the other
end.

These will be 6mm diameter, 2.5/3cm long.

I guess a basic solution would be a standard cotter pin with an R-clip
in the hole to retain it but I'd like a more user friendly version if
I can find one.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere pins that have a section at the
end that folds in flush with the pin for inserting and then flips out
to retain the pin. This would be ideal if I can find a name for such
as there isn't an R-clip to lose (or get stuck).

You can get a thing called a pip pin does this.
http://www.czchuangde.com/?gclid=CP-...FZShtAody2UAtw
The ball bearings in the end pop back inside the shaft when the rod in the
end is pressed in.

http://www.fixtureworks.net/ProductIndex/QuickReleaseBallLockPins/tabid/123/Default.aspx?thumbPath=5|0&gclid=CPzE15ali74CFWjKt AodVBUAGQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 May 2014 10:58:40 UTC+1, wrote:
I'm after a cotter pin that I can insert and remove easily by hand.

At least I think I want a cotter pin if it's one of those pins with a

shoulder at one end and a hole for a split-pin retainer at the other

end.

These will be 6mm diameter, 2.5/3cm long.

I guess a basic solution would be a standard cotter pin with an R-clip

in the hole to retain it but I'd like a more user friendly version if

I can find one.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere pins that have a section at the

end that folds in flush with the pin for inserting and then flips out

to retain the pin. This would be ideal if I can find a name for such

as there isn't an R-clip to lose (or get stuck).

--

Chris Green

It's only a clevis pin when it goes through a clevis.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2014 18:13, wrote:
Baz wrote:

wrote in message ...
Baz wrote:

& the securing pin you are thinking of is a linch/lynch pin!

Avpx

Defo One of these.
http://tinyurl.com/ogjjjbm
Baz

Er, that link results in as much confusion as we started with! :-)

--
Chris Green

A Picture Paints A Thousand Words............................
And now you have a choice.
And maybe see something you hadn't thought about.

What I meant was that lots of those pictures show things other than
clevis pins.

That's exactly the point. It's easy to skip through the pictures but
they show all sorts of different ways of achieving similar tasks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 May 2014 10:58:40 +0100, cl wrote:

I'm after a cotter pin that I can insert and remove easily by hand. At
least I think I want a cotter pin if it's one of those pins with a
shoulder at one end and a hole for a split-pin retainer at the other
end.

I made my own linch pins because the bought ones were stupid, and fell
out when flipped the wrong side:
http://i58.tinypic.com/k9hlpt.jpg