Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cooker cable runs and 17th ed wiring regs.

As I understand it, there are permitted routes for buried cables, i.e.
vertically or horizontally from an electrical accessory or within 50mm
of a room corner/edge.

Now consider a cooker. Most cooker isolator switches are installed
between the adjacent base unit and adjacent wall cupboard, so its always
to one side of the cooker rather than above it for safety reasons
involing burns and water ingress itno the isolator switch.

So far so good as a cooker cable from the CU can be made to go to this
isolator swtich vertically or horizontally.

Now consider cooker outlet box. These are often placed behind a cooker,
particularly free standing ones.....

So does this mean that one cannot run the cable between the isolator
switch and the cooker outlet plate diagonally but running aross then
down or down and then across is OK?

bending 6mm2 cooker cable into 90 degrees and keeping it flat is going
to be interesting!

Having said that, I have stripped out kitchens in the past and found a
diagonal run of 6mm2 cable from teh cooker isolator switch and the
cooker outlet plate.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/14 23:23, Stephen wrote:

As I understand it, there are permitted routes for buried cables, i.e.
vertically or horizontally from an electrical accessory or within 50mm
of a room corner/edge.

Now consider a cooker. Most cooker isolator switches are installed
between the adjacent base unit and adjacent wall cupboard, so its always
to one side of the cooker rather than above it for safety reasons
involing burns and water ingress itno the isolator switch.

So far so good as a cooker cable from the CU can be made to go to this
isolator swtich vertically or horizontally.

Now consider cooker outlet box. These are often placed behind a cooker,
particularly free standing ones.....

So does this mean that one cannot run the cable between the isolator
switch and the cooker outlet plate diagonally but running aross then
down or down and then across is OK?

Yes - in a nutshell

bending 6mm2 cooker cable into 90 degrees and keeping it flat is going
to be interesting!

Make the chase deeper and:

1) Don't make the cable lie flat;

2) 25mm conduit with a formed bend and pull singles through. They are
more flexible in the cores and without the sheath are even more flexible
again.

Having said that, I have stripped out kitchens in the past and found a
diagonal run of 6mm2 cable from teh cooker isolator switch and the
cooker outlet plate.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2014 23:23, Stephen wrote:

As I understand it, there are permitted routes for buried cables, i.e.
vertically or horizontally from an electrical accessory or within 50mm
of a room corner/edge.

Within 150mm of a corner and also the wall to ceiling intersection.

Like :

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...lectric_cables

Now consider a cooker. Most cooker isolator switches are installed
between the adjacent base unit and adjacent wall cupboard, so its always
to one side of the cooker rather than above it for safety reasons
involing burns and water ingress itno the isolator switch.

So far so good as a cooker cable from the CU can be made to go to this
isolator swtich vertically or horizontally.

Yup

Now consider cooker outlet box. These are often placed behind a cooker,
particularly free standing ones.....

Yup

So does this mean that one cannot run the cable between the isolator
switch and the cooker outlet plate diagonally but running aross then
down or down and then across is OK?

Yes - that way the cable is always in a vertical or horizontal zone
aligned with the visible accessories.

bending 6mm2 cooker cable into 90 degrees and keeping it flat is going
to be interesting!

No need to keep it flat really - it also does not need to be
particularly sharp bend.

Having said that, I have stripped out kitchens in the past and found a
diagonal run of 6mm2 cable from teh cooker isolator switch and the
cooker outlet plate.....

Yup, you can find all kinds of poor practice if you go looking. No need
to copy it though ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

As I understand it, there are permitted routes for buried cables,

So does this mean that one cannot run the cable between the isolator
switch and the cooker outlet plate diagonally

That's right, you can't if it's buried. didn't stop the builder of my
house doing it though.

bending 6mm2 cooker cable into 90 degrees and keeping it flat is going
to be interesting!

How about running from the CU to the switch following the permitted
zones (e.g. entering horizontally buried in the plaster) then come out
of the switch (e.g dropping vertically buried in plaster) then once it's
out of sight, bring the cable to surface and run it diagonally clipped
to the surface to reach a surface mounted outlet box?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2014 07:04, Andy Burns wrote:
Stephen wrote:

As I understand it, there are permitted routes for buried cables,

So does this mean that one cannot run the cable between the isolator
switch and the cooker outlet plate diagonally

That's right, you can't if it's buried. didn't stop the builder of my
house doing it though.

bending 6mm2 cooker cable into 90 degrees and keeping it flat is going
to be interesting!

How about running from the CU to the switch following the permitted
zones (e.g. entering horizontally buried in the plaster) then come out
of the switch (e.g dropping vertically buried in plaster) then once it's
out of sight, bring the cable to surface and run it diagonally clipped
to the surface to reach a surface mounted outlet box?

You are still permitted buried diagonal runs with suitable mechanical
protection, aren't you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/14 11:31, newshound wrote:

You are still permitted buried diagonal runs with suitable mechanical
protection, aren't you?

Yes.

That usually means steel conduit, MICC or SWA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2014 12:07, Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/04/14 11:31, newshound wrote:

You are still permitted buried diagonal runs with suitable mechanical
protection, aren't you?

Yes.

That usually means steel conduit, MICC or SWA.

I thought 3mm of steel is also considered adequate?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/14 13:38, Fredxxx wrote:
On 30/04/2014 12:07, Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/04/14 11:31, newshound wrote:

You are still permitted buried diagonal runs with suitable mechanical
protection, aren't you?

Yes.

That usually means steel conduit, MICC or SWA.

I thought 3mm of steel is also considered adequate?

That too - if it's practical?