Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default That's hard work for an electrician.

Job spec "projector socket not working in classroom 8 - needs fixing ASAP"

My job report sheet says "Switched on the switched fused spur that was
labelled up 'projector switched fused spur' "

Classroom 8 is one of the science rooms.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 20:41:18 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

Job spec "projector socket not working in classroom 8 - needs fixing ASAP"

My job report sheet says "Switched on the switched fused spur that was
labelled up 'projector switched fused spur' "

Classroom 8 is one of the science rooms.

My mother asked me to look at her fridge a few weeks ago, it wasn't
working and she thought she needed a new one.

Switched on the socket immediately above the fridge, the one with the
plug whose cable goes through a hole in the work-top that could only
realistically belong to the fridge.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Job spec "projector socket not working in classroom 8 - needs fixing ASAP"

My job report sheet says "Switched on the switched fused spur that was
labelled up 'projector switched fused spur' "

Classroom 8 is one of the science rooms.

My mother asked me to look at her fridge a few weeks ago, it wasn't
working and she thought she needed a new one.

Switched on the socket immediately above the fridge, the one with the
plug whose cable goes through a hole in the work-top that could only
realistically belong to the fridge.

In a different life I used to repair refrigeration. What you describe was
not unusual.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes
wrote:

Job spec "projector socket not working in classroom 8 - needs fixing ASAP"

My job report sheet says "Switched on the switched fused spur that was
labelled up 'projector switched fused spur' "

Classroom 8 is one of the science rooms.

My mother asked me to look at her fridge a few weeks ago, it wasn't
working and she thought she needed a new one.

Switched on the socket immediately above the fridge, the one with the
plug whose cable goes through a hole in the work-top that could only
realistically belong to the fridge.

I suspect I have just been exposed to something similar. The comestible
provider executive (with acknowledgements to another poster) dumped her
food mixer on my desk and said *it doesn't work*.

Now my first mistake was in not plugging it in to test. The second was
incautiously unscrewing the back on my untidy desk which was promptly
enveloped in flour!

Once the ping f--k its had been re-assembled it worked perfectly.
Doubtful brush contact? Dirty speed control switch? Or a 69 year old
brain?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
Job spec "projector socket not working in classroom 8 - needs fixing ASAP"

My job report sheet says "Switched on the switched fused spur that was
labelled up 'projector switched fused spur' "

Classroom 8 is one of the science rooms.

NOT FUNNY!

Along with a few other comments here I fell foul of something similar a
while back.

I don't often use our built in oven, when I did venture into the kitchen
and try it, it wouldn't work. OK no problems, microwave meal for two.
Later on I removed it from the cupboard, removed the back, got a meter
out and proved, conclusively, without a shadow of a doubt, that I hadn't
turned one of the switches on. But at least I proved which one. My
wife totally pi$$ed herself laughing :-(

PS
my wife is a teacher and only last week she was telling me that she went
to use the ceiling mounted projector in a classroom that she doesn't
normally use and it wouldn't work. Called in the caretaker, sorry site
agent, to take a look. He couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work.
Called up the teacher whose room it was and was told where the isolator
switch was, far corner of the room and unmarked!
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Job spec "projector socket not working in classroom 8 - needs fixing
ASAP"

My job report sheet says "Switched on the switched fused spur that was
labelled up 'projector switched fused spur' "

Classroom 8 is one of the science rooms.

My mother asked me to look at her fridge a few weeks ago, it wasn't
working and she thought she needed a new one.

Switched on the socket immediately above the fridge, the one with the
plug whose cable goes through a hole in the work-top that could only
realistically belong to the fridge.

In a different life I used to repair refrigeration. What you describe was
not unusual.

In a different life I used to repair electric cookers.
The number of times I was called to "Oven not working".
Just needed a button on the timer pressed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
In a different life I used to repair electric cookers.
The number of times I was called to "Oven not working".
Just needed a button on the timer pressed.

Well, let's face it, those cooker timers are largely incomprehensible,
and so rarely used that few people ever gets grips with them.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2014 00:12, Bill wrote:
In message , ARW
writes
[...]

I nearly threw the bedroom tv out yesterday. Then I tried the source
button. Her indoors had obviously "dusted" it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, April 28, 2014 8:41:18 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Job spec "projector socket not working in classroom 8 - needs fixing ASAP"

My job report sheet says "Switched on the switched fused spur that was

labelled up 'projector switched fused spur' "

Classroom 8 is one of the science rooms.

--

Adam

In my day teachers just had a packet of chalk and a blackboard. Woe betide anyone who misbehaved, they were likely to have a close encounter with a fast moving eraser.

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:14:44 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, April 28, 2014 8:41:18 PM UTC+1, wrote:

Job spec "projector socket not working in classroom 8 - needs fixing ASAP"
My job report sheet says "Switched on the switched fused spur that was
labelled up 'projector switched fused spur' "
Classroom 8 is one of the science rooms.

In my day teachers just had a packet of chalk and a blackboard. Woe betide anyone who misbehaved, they were likely to have a close encounter with a fast moving eraser.
Philip

Reckon that's true for nearly everyone here. Do we have any youngsteres here? Or are they all too busy chasing disfunctional tail

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
Job spec "projector socket not working in classroom 8 - needs fixing ASAP"

My job report sheet says "Switched on the switched fused spur that was
labelled up 'projector switched fused spur' "

Classroom 8 is one of the science rooms.

Some twenty five years ago I spent a whole day flying to Glasgow from
Birmingham to a customer who complained their computer would not work.
Despite going through the obvious things on the phone they needed to
check like was it plugged in and turned on they were adamant that they
wanted a visit. They had no maintenance contract. Their manager was
warned that if there was no fault then they would be charged the air and
taxi fares plus my hourly rate. When I arrived and crawled under the
desk I found that the computer was not plugged in! Problem solved I made
my way back to base. My boss was not impressed and sent them an invoice
worded along the lines of "Visiting your premises and training staff to
plug the computer in and switch it on at the mains" £375plus VAT. Their
manager went ballistic but duly paid the bill on time.

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:

The number of times I was called to "Oven not working".
Just needed a button on the timer pressed.

A friend of mine was about to throw out a portable radio because
it would only work intermittently. She hadn't realised it had
alarm and sleep modes, which she had turned on.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

I don't often use our built in oven, when I did venture into the kitchen
and try it, it wouldn't work.

I was just shutting the cupboard door above our oven when it
flickered off, which was a shame, as I was just about to load it.

Scratched head a little. Turned out I was trying to cram in too
many cereal packets, and had managed to hit the isolation switch.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 29/04/2014 00:12, Bill wrote:
In message , ARW
writes
[...]

Talking about "her indoors", We have a twin dimmer in the lounge feeding the
lights on 2 ceiling fans, one had failed. I went out, bought a new one and
fitted it, still wouldn't work. Then found that wifey had pulled the !"£$%^&
lamp chain on the one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2014 09:58, Peter Crosland wrote:
On 28/04/2014 20:41, ARW wrote:
[...]

I was a brand technical manager at IBM back in the 90's. I was passed a
call from the CEO of one of our biggest customers - his ThinkPad
wouldn't boot, giving the "missing NTLDR" message. I told him to check
there wasn't a diskette in the drive. He said "oh yes - I'll eject it",
did so, but still got the same error on reboot. So I had a 90 minute
drive there as it now sounded like an HD problem and our senior
management wanted it sorted pronto.

Guess what - there WAS still a diskette in the drive and he'd ejected
his PCMCIA modem.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:40:42 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

She once voiced her intent to "lick me into shape"; few have been
further from achieving it.

Not your type then?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Bill" wrote in message
news
In message , ARW
writes
Job spec "projector socket not working in classroom 8 - needs fixing ASAP"

My job report sheet says "Switched on the switched fused spur that was
labelled up 'projector switched fused spur' "

Classroom 8 is one of the science rooms.

NOT FUNNY!

Along with a few other comments here I fell foul of something similar a
while back.

I don't often use our built in oven, when I did venture into the kitchen
and try it, it wouldn't work. OK no problems, microwave meal for two.
Later on I removed it from the cupboard, removed the back, got a meter out
and proved, conclusively, without a shadow of a doubt, that I hadn't
turned one of the switches on. But at least I proved which one. My wife
totally pi$$ed herself laughing :-(

I know someone who called out a TV repair man out when the sound failed. She
had hit the mute button on the TV when dusting it,

PS
my wife is a teacher and only last week she was telling me that she went
to use the ceiling mounted projector in a classroom that she doesn't
normally use and it wouldn't work. Called in the caretaker, sorry site
agent, to take a look. He couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work.
Called up the teacher whose room it was and was told where the isolator
switch was, far corner of the room and unmarked!

This place used to have a brilliant guy that would have found this problem
in minutes- unfortunately he is seriously ill.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Job spec "projector socket not working in classroom 8 - needs fixing
ASAP"
My job report sheet says "Switched on the switched fused spur
that was
labelled up 'projector switched fused spur' "
Classroom 8 is one of the science rooms.

In my day teachers just had a packet of chalk and a blackboard. Woe
betide anyone who misbehaved, they were likely to have a close encounter
with a fast moving eraser.
Philip

Reckon that's true for nearly everyone here. Do we have any youngsteres
here? Or are they all too busy chasing disfunctional tail

We have Gremlin

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"bm" wrote in message
eb.com...

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 29/04/2014 00:12, Bill wrote:
In message , ARW
writes
[...]

This one was by my Dad. He changed the lightswitch in the kitchen at their
holiday home for a dimmer switch and he said it would not work no matter how
he wired it up. I then asked him "have you tried pressing the switch instead
of just turning it?"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
harryagain wrote:
In a different life I used to repair electric cookers.
The number of times I was called to "Oven not working".
Just needed a button on the timer pressed.

Well, let's face it, those cooker timers are largely incomprehensible, and
so rarely used that few people ever gets grips with them.

Rubbish! It only took me 3 years to work out how to set the clock.
The microwave clock is still under review.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
writes
On 29/04/2014 00:12, Bill wrote:
In message , ARW
writes
[...]

You should see the fun and games we have with our works telephone
system. Every so often we all get given sterilising wet wipes and are
told to clean the handset and buttons. Those that do not unplug their
phones while they clean the buttons change all sorts of interesting
parameters, some of which don't even seem to appear in the manual!!

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2014 14:10, Reentrant wrote:
I was a brand technical manager at IBM back in the 90's. I was passed a
call from the CEO of one of our biggest customers - his ThinkPad
wouldn't boot, giving the "missing NTLDR" message. I told him to check
there wasn't a diskette in the drive. He said "oh yes - I'll eject it",
did so, but still got the same error on reboot. So I had a 90 minute
drive there as it now sounded like an HD problem and our senior
management wanted it sorted pronto.

Guess what - there WAS still a diskette in the drive and he'd ejected
his PCMCIA modem.

I don't think I've told you lot this story.

We were selling our house, and I'd had to go out to the US on a support
call. An offer duly came in. The estate agent asked if we'd accept it.
SWMBO says she'll check with me, but I'm in Washington. "What US?" says
the agent.

We discuss it over the 'phone, then SWMBO calls the agent back the next
day. The agent asks when I'll be back, because there's some paperwork to
sign. "I don't know", says SWMBO, "He's gone to Sydney."

"WHAT AUSTRALIA???" says the agent.

When I did arrive in Sydney they'd worked out the problem while I was
over the Pacific, so I hung around for a few days then came home. The
only time I've gone the whole way around in one trip. And it was just to
say "Yes, that looks like it".

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Pounder
writes

Rubbish! It only took me 3 years to work out how to set the clock.

We've been in this house nearly twelve years. I still haven't worked
out the cooker clock ...
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
We've been in this house nearly twelve years. I still haven't worked
out the cooker clock ...

I've been in this flat one year and still haven't worked out where the previous occupant plugged his fridge in.

There's a fridge-shaped space (2 mm too small to fit my fridge into) but no socket anywhere near.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
News wrote:
In message , Mr Pounder
writes

Rubbish! It only took me 3 years to work out how to set the clock.

We've been in this house nearly twelve years. I still haven't worked
out the cooker clock ...

Obvious you don't do any serious cooking. ;-)

My Neff is quite clever. All you do is enter the cooking time and the
finish time and it does the rest.

--
*You're never too old to learn something stupid.
Dave Plowman London SW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2014 20:33, Bill wrote:

You should see the fun and games we have with our works telephone
system. Every so often we all get given sterilising wet wipes and are
told to clean the handset and buttons. Those that do not unplug their
phones while they clean the buttons change all sorts of interesting
parameters, some of which don't even seem to appear in the manual!!

We had the same sort of issue with a past system, in that some people
kept managing to put the phone on auto answer to speakerphone, which
surprised them when the next person called, especially if they didn't
want to answer it!

--
Toby...
Remove your pants to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/14 00:26, Toby wrote:
On 29/04/2014 20:33, Bill wrote:

You should see the fun and games we have with our works telephone
system. Every so often we all get given sterilising wet wipes and are
told to clean the handset and buttons. Those that do not unplug their
phones while they clean the buttons change all sorts of interesting
parameters, some of which don't even seem to appear in the manual!!

We had the same sort of issue with a past system, in that some people
kept managing to put the phone on auto answer to speakerphone, which
surprised them when the next person called, especially if they didn't
want to answer it!

One ******* I employed actually read the manual and discovered how to
divert his phone while on holiday.

So instead of the usual ring rung ring then ring the hunt group it went
to someone else's instead.

WE couldn't understand how a DDI number attached to his phone kept
ending up in someone elses.

He was also the turd that insisted in using EMACS to edit Unix
configuration files.

Now Emacs takes the original file adds a tilde to it an creates a new
one of the original name. Vi takes the old file and alters it.

Result is, if a process has the file open emacs doesn't actually change
the working file contents.

You haver to restart the whole daemon. Which he failed to do of course.

Irish plonker.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2014 18:05, ARW wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
news
In message , ARW
writes
[...]

I spent ten minutes trying to diagnose a lack of audio from the kitchen
speakers... amp was on, volume was up, the source comes from a PC - so
checking its settings, trying to work out if its a connection problem or
a sound card issue, or something up with the amp...

Someone had nudged the speaker select switch walking past it, and
deselected all speakers! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Crosland wrote:

Some twenty five years ago I spent a whole day flying to Glasgow from
Birmingham to a customer who complained their computer would not work.
Despite going through the obvious things on the phone they needed to
check like was it plugged in and turned on they were adamant that they
wanted a visit. They had no maintenance contract. Their manager was
warned that if there was no fault then they would be charged the air and
taxi fares plus my hourly rate. When I arrived and crawled under the
desk I found that the computer was not plugged in! Problem solved I made
my way back to base. My boss was not impressed and sent them an invoice
worded along the lines of "Visiting your premises and training staff to
plug the computer in and switch it on at the mains" £375plus VAT. Their
manager went ballistic but duly paid the bill on time.

About twenty years ago I suffered a lot of righteous indignation coming
down the phone from a TV shop in Pentland, Edinburgh. The TV
distribution system we had installed JUST DIDN'T WORK! NONE of the TV
sets on one of the gondolas would work! NONE of them! It was disgraceful!

240 miles later I found that all the sets on that stand were Thompson
ones, and the default autotune was to find nothing but French signals.
No-one had bothered to set the country to UK.

They did pay up, finally.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
In a different life I used to repair electric cookers.
The number of times I was called to "Oven not working".
Just needed a button on the timer pressed.

Well, let's face it, those cooker timers are largely incomprehensible, and
so rarely used that few people ever gets grips with them.

These were the old mechanical clocks.
I don't know anyone ever used them.
Dunno why they are still fitted.
Must be some sort of tradition.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
News wrote:

We've been in this house nearly twelve years. I still haven't worked
out the cooker clock ...

Obvious you don't do any serious cooking. ;-)

My Neff is quite clever. All you do is enter the cooking time and the
finish time and it does the rest.

Quite so.

I once knew someone who felt that the oven should be isolated
when not in use. I was unable to stop myself setting the clock
whenever I noticed it flashing, pointless though this was.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
News wrote:

We've been in this house nearly twelve years. I still haven't worked
out the cooker clock ...

Obvious you don't do any serious cooking. ;-)

The problem is, we always turn it off at the wall, when cooking has
finished, which means there is no incentive to set the clock properly.

Why, I hear you ask? Because when we moved in, our son was a year old,
and the controls are front panel mounted, ideal for an inquisitive
child. He is 13 now, but the habit has stuck.

There is a built in deep fat fryer which we have never used. Son did
manage to turn that on once, soon after we moved in - clouds of blue
smoke from the residue fat or oil left by the previous occupants.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Job spec "projector socket not working in classroom 8 - needs fixing ASAP"

My job report sheet says "Switched on the switched fused spur that was
labelled up 'projector switched fused spur' "

Classroom 8 is one of the science rooms.

My mother asked me to look at her fridge a few weeks ago, it wasn't
working and she thought she needed a new one.

Switched on the socket immediately above the fridge, the one with the
plug whose cable goes through a hole in the work-top that could only
realistically belong to the fridge.

Have you made it a label to identify it as such?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/14 09:14, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Now Emacs takes the original file adds a tilde to it an creates a new
one of the original name. Vi takes the old file and alters it.

Result is, if a process has the file open emacs doesn't actually
change the working file contents.

You haver to restart the whole daemon. Which he failed to do of course.

Don't you have to do that anyway, however you edit it? The daemon will
have read its config file in at startup. So if you change it you have
to restart it so it does that again. Or was this one which re-read it
from time to time?

Some "standard" daemons do that now - either by a polling stat() on the
file or using one of the *notify() interfaces (in linux at least).

Personally I don't like that behaviour - if I am part way through
editing a file, I want to save it run a "configtest" if available (eg
apache2) before committing to a restart.

But anyone who edits a config and does not think to restart it is a
complete plonker anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 05:16:19 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

About twenty years ago I suffered a lot of righteous indignation coming
down the phone from a TV shop in Pentland, Edinburgh. The TV
distribution system we had installed JUST DIDN'T WORK! NONE

240 miles later I found that all the sets on that stand were Thompson
ones, and the default autotune was to find nothing but French signals.

It's that Auld Alliance thing between the Haggis and Snail eaters
kicking in again. I expect they are looking foward to restarting it
soon.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
In a different life I used to repair electric cookers.
The number of times I was called to "Oven not working".
Just needed a button on the timer pressed.

Well, let's face it, those cooker timers are largely incomprehensible, and
so rarely used that few people ever gets grips with them.

These were the old mechanical clocks.
I don't know anyone ever used them.
Dunno why they are still fitted.
Must be some sort of tradition.

If you are working, it is incredibly useful to be able to come home to a
casserole that is just getting ready to take out of the oven, although,
these days, I would probably use the slow cooker instead.

Colin Bignell

Why is ordering from CPC/Farnell such hard work? John Stumbles UK diy 30 February 5th 11 04:07 PM
Hard work Hoovering? John UK diy 13 April 14th 09 08:15 AM
hard work never fails [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 26th 08 02:45 PM
Electrician Tools Extending Work Box? [email protected] Home Repair 6 July 26th 05 04:18 PM
Workshop Wiring - Prep work before Electrician jonni UK diy 26 July 19th 04 08:48 AM