Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cannot reach basin tap to tighten

Hopefully someone can suggest an easy solution.

I'm trying to tighten a loose tap on a hand basin.

I've tried using a basin wrench - both the fixed head spanner like type
and the spring loaded column type with no success.

I can get the wrench on to the nut but there just isn't enough room to
get a good grip or to turn the nut. Here's a picture of the problem:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3t...it?usp=sharing

So far I've only managed to hand tighten the nut!

I can't see a solution to this other than maybe removing the water
connection pipe and then finding a very deep socket spanner to reach the
nut. This would mean extra expense in buying the spanner and it would
probably be just as cheap to call a plumber which also sounds like a
crazy waste of money for what should be an easy job.

The other option is to take the basin off the wall but I foresee
problems in doing this.

Is there something obvious I am missing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Am 24.04.2014 12:03, schrieb Gareth Davies:
Hopefully someone can suggest an easy solution.

I'm trying to tighten a loose tap on a hand basin.

I've tried using a basin wrench - both the fixed head spanner like type
and the spring loaded column type with no success.

I can get the wrench on to the nut but there just isn't enough room to
get a good grip or to turn the nut. Here's a picture of the problem:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3t...it?usp=sharing

Feed google with the term (universal) basin wrench and see what happens.
HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth Davies wrote in
:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3t...QVE/edit?usp=s
haring

So far I've only managed to hand tighten the nut!

I can't see a solution to this other than maybe removing the water
connection pipe and then finding a very deep socket spanner to reach
the nut. This would mean extra expense in buying the spanner and it
would probably be just as cheap to call a plumber which also sounds
like a crazy waste of money for what should be an easy job.

The other option is to take the basin off the wall but I foresee
problems in doing this.

Is there something obvious I am missing?

Remove the inlet pipe and get yourself a box spanner from a plumbers
merchant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth Davies wrote in
:

[...]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?
_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xtap +box+spanner&_nkw=tap+box
+spanner&_sacat=0&_from=R40
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn writes
Gareth Davies wrote in
:

I'm trying to tighten a loose tap on a hand basin.

Remove the inlet pipe and get yourself a box spanner from a plumbers
merchant

I'm inclined to agree, I've played with various new and old school toys
to do this (and knackered elbows through over stressing on a long reach)
and have always come back to a simple plumbers' box spanner.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You may still have a problem with a box spanner depending on how long the flexible part of the connector is and if the nut on the other end is larger the box spanner will not fit over it. One solution to use a box spanner is cut out one of the sides of the hexagon, then extend the slot part way down the tube of the box spanner making sure the resulting slot is slightly wider than the flexible part of the connector. An angle grinder will probably make the modification easy but equally a hacksaw and a file should do. Slide the box spanner over the nut allowing the flexible part of the connector to poke out of the slot and with the connector temporarily disconnected from the inlet pipe you should be able to tighten the back nut. Do not worry about weakening the box spanner as these types of connectors have rubber washers and do not need tightening up to the same degree fibre washered connectors do.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth Davies wrote:

I can't see a solution to this other than maybe removing the water
connection pipe and then finding a very deep socket spanner to reach the
nut. This would mean extra expense in buying the spanner and it would
probably be just as cheap to call a plumber which also sounds like a
crazy waste of money for what should be an easy job.

Basin box spanners are a fiver from Toolstation. Bought one the other
week, should have bought one years ago even allowing for the infrequent
usage.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cannot see the picture, but way back in my youth, I saw a plumber use what
amounted to a box spanner with an extension drive so the force could be
applied beyond the narrow part of the job. Of course these taps had long
pipe connection threads and hence it was then easy to do up the pipes
afterwards. I also recall that he had some kind of paste that hardened to
keep the taps in the right place for years.
I suppose you want to do it without taking the pipes off, in that case,
good luck!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Gareth Davies" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2014 11:03, Gareth Davies wrote:
Hopefully someone can suggest an easy solution.

I'm trying to tighten a loose tap on a hand basin.

Is there something obvious I am missing?

remove the flexy pip, and use a standard basin wrench then refit flexy pipe.

I have both of these ...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLUMBERS-1...item58abc9532b

but find the swivel one most useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I could do it in 5 mins, but I doubt you are in the Medway Towns :-)

One of the joys of being a full time handyman is that you can justify
buying the right tools for the job.

Box spanners specifically for this cost very little.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth Davies put finger to keyboard:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3t...fRUxkQVE/edit?

usp=sharing

So far I've only managed to hand tighten the nut!

I can't see a solution to this other than maybe removing the water
connection pipe and then finding a very deep socket spanner to reach the
nut. This would mean extra expense in buying the spanner and it would
probably be just as cheap to call a plumber which also sounds like a
crazy waste of money for what should be an easy job.

The other option is to take the basin off the wall but I foresee
problems in doing this.

Is there something obvious I am missing?

Try this:

Loosen the connection by turning the tap body anti-clockwise a quarter of
a turn. Do the nut up hand-tight again. Hold the nut steady and turn the
tap body clockwise to tighten.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scion" wrote in message
Gareth Davies put finger to keyboard:

I'm trying to tighten a loose tap on a hand basin.

I've tried using a basin wrench - both the fixed head spanner like type
and the spring loaded column type with no success.

I can get the wrench on to the nut but there just isn't enough room to
get a good grip or to turn the nut. Here's a picture of the problem:

Try this:

Loosen the connection by turning the tap body anti-clockwise a quarter of
a turn. Do the nut up hand-tight again. Hold the nut steady and turn the
tap body clockwise to tighten.

That's along the lines of what I would try.

I wouldn't loosen the nut, but turn *both* tap and nut together,
anti-clockwise seen from the top, perhaps rather more than 1/4 turn. Then
turn the tap to it's normal position while holding the nut (with fingers if
that's easier).

If not completely tight, then repeat.

This might need the water pipe loosened (turn off the water, or run the tap
and have a towel to mop up any leaks. Note: I haven't tried this! Usually
the pipe is disconnected). Remember to re-tighten.

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Gareth Davies wrote in
:

[...]

Can not get the url to work.Have you ever tried tinyurl?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
On 24/04/2014 11:03, Gareth Davies wrote:
Hopefully someone can suggest an easy solution.

I'm trying to tighten a loose tap on a hand basin.

Is there something obvious I am missing?

remove the flexy pip, and use a standard basin wrench then refit flexy
pipe.

I have both of these ...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLUMBERS-1...item58abc9532b

but find the swivel one most useful.

He tried one of those two but said it did not work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can not get the url to work.Have you ever tried tinyurl?

Sorry,
http://tinyurl.com/m2jjaz8

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

Can not get the url to work.Have you ever tried tinyurl?

Sorry,
http://tinyurl.com/m2jjaz8

Taa.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks guys. This is really good advice.

In the end I went for a monoblock spanner like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/prfo6p8

But no job I do seems to be simple. Having wasted money on a fixed head
and then a rotating head tap spanner - and then a monoblock spanner - I
found that the plastic pipework under/near the sink got in the way. So I
had to remove the u-bend and pipework next to it and then struggled to
get it back together again.

With the cost of the spanners I calculate that the "diy" job cost me
just under £30 in terms of cold cash. The stress and head scratching is
another story.

So for about the same price and much less time I could have got someone
in to do it (not a plumber - £55 minimum here - but maybe a jack of all
trades).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2014 21:22, Gareth Davies wrote:
[...]

I would have done it for £30 'on my way home' :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cough, cash? :-)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 9:22:44 PM UTC+1, Gareth Davies wrote:

I'm trying to tighten a loose tap on a hand basin.

Thanks guys. This is really good advice.
In the end I went for a monoblock spanner like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/prfo6p8
But no job I do seems to be simple. Having wasted money on a fixed head
and then a rotating head tap spanner - and then a monoblock spanner - I
found that the plastic pipework under/near the sink got in the way. So I
had to remove the u-bend and pipework next to it and then struggled to
get it back together again.
With the cost of the spanners I calculate that the "diy" job cost me
just under �30 in terms of cold cash. The stress and head scratching is
another story.
So for about the same price and much less time I could have got someone
in to do it (not a plumber - �55 minimum here - but maybe a jack of all
trades).

Now you've got the tools and ability to do all further cases of such a job - at no further cost or hassle.

NT